Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Courier Journal AP Poll Class 1A Rankings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Class A
Rank-School (FPV) Rcd TP Pvs

1. Pikeville (4) 2-2 85 2

2. Raceland (4) 4-1 76 1

3. Hazard 3-1 56 4

4. Newport Central Catholic 4-1 53 3

5. Bethlehem 4-1 48 6

6. Williamsburg 3-0 45 5

7. Pineville 5-0 32 8

8. Kentucky Country Day 4-1 29 7

9. Holy Cross 4-1 26 9

10. Bracken County (1) 4-0 11 NR

Others receiving votes: Campbellsville 9. Paintsville 9. Paris 6. Sayre 5. Nicholas County 5.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/chec...17360.html
I don't see anything wrong with this. I mean Pikeville and Raceland at 1 & 2.... As its looking so far, nobody else in 1a is really gonna challenge that.
If Hazard beats Ashland by 3 or more acores does it put them on the level of Pikeville and Raceland?
(09-21-2022, 01:03 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: [ -> ]If Hazard beats Ashland by 3 or more acores does it put them on the level of Pikeville and Raceland?

After watching Hazard lose to Breathitt.... I think they would have to dominate Ashland (3+ scores or more) to get put back in that category with Pikeville or Raceland. Hazard does not have an impressive win to date. The most impressive win for them being against a Letcher county team that gives up 40+ points a game. 

I understand that Raceland does not have a great win on their record either but the difference is that Raceland has taken care of business and won the games they should have by a large margin. 

Like the two teams mentioned above, Pikeville does not have a convincing win yet either (Best win is against a down and struggling Belfry team but they did win by a convincing margin) but the fact that they played a really good Corbin team to one score says something... same can be said for their 8pt loss to a good Cov Cath team.
(09-21-2022, 01:03 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: [ -> ]If Hazard beats Ashland by 3 or more acores does it put them on the level of Pikeville and Raceland?

No. Because 1. Hazard's defense is bad and gave up 50 to Letcher in 1 half and 250 rushing to 1 back in that game and 2. You are already down 2 scores when you get off the bus at Hazard.

BUT, Hazard can beat you on a given night if you are playing bad, especially at their place.
(09-21-2022, 01:21 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]

BUT, Hazard can beat you on a given night if you are playing bad, especially at their place.

Agreed!
(09-21-2022, 01:18 PM)TheStickyBandit Wrote: [ -> ]

After watching Hazard lose to Breathitt.... I think they would have to dominate Ashland (3+ scores or more) to get put back in that category with Pikeville or Raceland. Hazard does not have an impressive win to date. The most impressive win for them being against a Letcher county team that gives up 40+ points a game. 

I understand that Raceland does not have a great win on their record either but the difference is that Raceland has taken care of business and won the games they should have by a large margin. 

Like the two teams mentioned above, Pikeville does not have a convincing win yet either (Best win is against a down and struggling Belfry team but they did win by a convincing margin) but the fact that they played a really good Corbin team to one score says something... same can be said for their 8pt loss to a good Cov Cath team.
Belfry beat Louisville Central the week before losing to Pikeville and have a better record than they did last year at this time and they still won 3A championship.
Their were ranked 5th in 3A when Pikeville beat them.
Who from Bracken County got to vote in this poll?
I just dont think theres much difference in 5-10. Or even 5-15 for that matter. I dont see Bracken being better than Paintsville either.
(09-21-2022, 01:37 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-21-2022, 01:18 PM)TheStickyBandit Wrote: [ -> ]

Belfry beat Louisville Central the week before losing to Pikeville and have a better record than they did last year at this time and they still won 3A championship.
Their were ranked 5th in 3A when Pikeville beat them.

Central is not good, or at least as good as years past. They have two wins this season and both of their wins are against teams with losing records. Butler is 2-3 and Fern Creek is also 2-3.
Belfry beating Central means nothing for Pikeville. As stated, Central is not as good as years past. 

Belfry may have a better record thus far than last year but last years wins do not help this years team. 

And we all know that rankings do not make a team great. Belfry could have been ranked 1 when Pikeville beat them but if you look at Belfry's season so far, they are only a "good win" to other teams because of the history of the program, not because they are good this year. 

To say Pikeville has anything close to a win over a quality team this year is just not true. Now Belfry could very well make drastic improvements throughout the rest of the season, but as of now, beating this years Belfry team is just nothing to hang your hat on and it definitely should not be used as a resume building win for Pikeville.
Pikeville beating Belfry like they did is the best win by any Class A team and it isn't even close. And Central's other losses were to Manual and St. X lol. You are way off if you think beating Belfry 48-13 isn't a big deal. You are way off base with your "opinions"
Here is a little exercise - see how many points the teams Pikeville has played are better than everyone else in Class A. I'll do Raceland and everyone else can do the others.

The teams Pikeville has played are on average 26.2 points better than the teams Raceland has played.

http://calpreps.com/2022/ratings/Kentucky_division.htm
(09-21-2022, 03:00 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Pikeville beating Belfry like they did is the best win by any Class A team and it isn't even close. And Central's other losses were to Manual and St. X lol. You are way off if you think beating Belfry 48-13 isn't a big deal. You are way off base with your "opinions"

Funny that you do not even acknowledge centrals losses that I mentioned. What flavor Kool-aid they drinking in Pikeville? LOL 

Do not be mistaken, just because you have what you consider to be the best win for a 1A team, still does not make it a great win or even something to hang your hat on. 

Or did you come to this site to just hear how Pikeville is the best team in the state and anything that doesn't fall in line with that is wrong? 

Thats all any of this is, opinions. Yours just seems to be clouded by your bias.

(09-21-2022, 03:05 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Here is a little exercise - see how many points the teams Pikeville has played are better than everyone else in Class A. I'll do Raceland  and everyone else can do the others.

The teams Pikeville has played are on average 26.2 points better than the teams Raceland has played.

If you read what I said then you'll know that I said neither Hazard, Pikeville, or Raceland have impressive wins.....

Once again, comparing your wins (against teams that based off of their record are not very good) to the wins of Raceland and Hazard (Who both lack any wins against a top tier opponent) does not automatically make your wins stronger. 

Even if beating Belfry this year is the best win of all three teams so far, it does not make that win better, after all it was still a win over a team with a losing record and who even their won fans acknowledge has a was to go to be a playoff team.  

On a little different note, it does make sense that you would go ahead and do Raceland's for us.... you seem to be fixated on them.... fixated or worried? Ahhh who cares

(09-21-2022, 03:05 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Here is a little exercise - see how many points the teams Pikeville has played are better than everyone else in Class A. I'll do Raceland  and everyone else can do the others.

Also, who said anything about Strength of Schedule, I never said anything about that. I am not debating that Pikeville has played the toughest schedule out of the 3 teams we were talking about, heck, I agree that they have. But as you well know, I was referring to Wins. Not strength of Schedule, but that was a decent attempt to deter the conversation away from the lack of wins over quality opponents.
You don't acknowledge the rout of Belfry (#5 3A) is big or running clock shutout at ranked rival Paintsville was anything so nothing left to say. No bias there just facts.
(09-21-2022, 04:16 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]You don't acknowledge the rout of Belfry (#5 3A) is big or running clock shutout at ranked rival Paintsville was anything so nothing left to say. No bias there just facts.

Are you seriously defending Pikeville by referencing a win against another 2-3 team that is having a down year as a program this year? 

Bold strategy….. you’ve convinced me.
All Hail Pikeville…….. now….where’s the Kool-aid?
(09-21-2022, 01:47 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]Who from Bracken County got to vote in this poll?
I feel like there was a poster on here a couple of years ago who was always super hyped about the Polar Bears games every week, and if memory serves I believe Bracken lost every game that year. I hope that guy is happy now.  Big Grin
This is better than the RPI at this point for accuracy in 1A. I'm not convinced anyone will challenge Raceland or Pikeville but probably 3 or 4 teams could knock one of them off on the right night in the playoffs.
(09-21-2022, 04:41 PM)TheStickyBandit Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-21-2022, 04:16 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]You don't acknowledge the rout of Belfry (#5 3A) is big or running clock shutout at ranked rival Paintsville was anything so nothing left to say. No bias there just facts.

Are you seriously defending Pikeville by referencing a win against another 2-3 team that is having a down year as a program this year? 

You having no clue is all the strategy I need. And I'm not and don't have to defend Pikeville. You judging Belfry by their record shows everyone on here you are clueless.

Ragging on Belfry's record is LOL!
(09-21-2022, 05:02 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]

You having no clue is all the strategy I need. And I'm not and don't have to defend Pikeville. You judging Belfry by their record shows everyone on here you are clueless.

Right… because winning games is not the point, I guess? I am not trying to talk down about Belfry, however, if the biggest success so far this season is beating a Belfry team that has lost more games than it’s won…. That is where your bias has clouded your ability to view things objectively my friend. I meant no disrespect to Pikeville in my original post but I only wanted to point out that they have not beat a team with a winning record yet.

Belfry will get better as the season progresses and Haywood will do his thing with this team. My point must have went over your head so I’ll explain, an early season win against a down team is not the win that you want it to be. 

As to what everyone else thinks…. It’s an online forum to discuss things like this without getting too bent out of shape… who cares?

Sorry I hurt your feelings mister.

No. Because 1. Hazard's defense is bad and gave up 50 to Letcher in 1 half and 250 rushing to 1 back in that game and 2. You are already down 2 scores when you get off the bus at Hazard.

The same can be said as to WHY Hazard has NEVER beat Pikeville at Pikeville during the regular season, but they can do it come playoff time….
Every team thinks they get cheated at the others home field. Its the way it will always be.

Hazard needs to beat them by at least 3 scores and give up no more than 14 points. If they can do that then they are on par with Raceland. To be comparable to Pikeville needs to be 4 scores and a touchdown or less.

You’ll have to forgive him everybody. Raceland lives rent free in his head. It’s all he thinks about
(09-21-2022, 05:28 PM)bac2369 Wrote: [ -> ]

The same can be said as to WHY Hazard has NEVER beat Pikeville at Pikeville during the regular season, but they can do it come playoff time….
Now bac2369 you know that’s not true I believe in 2016 they beat Pikeville at Pikeville plus refs are people and they do make mistakes and I seen them this year take a touchdown away from Pikeville in the Covington game that might have changed the game. You are right though most people will always make that statement and even I have especially the semi game against a team at their place when Pikeville had 19 flags and the home team had 0.  Sometimes we as fans get carried away in our statements and should not. Hope you are doing good and hope to see you at Pikeville in a few weeks.
(09-21-2022, 05:30 PM)bac2369 Wrote: [ -> ]Every team thinks they get cheated at the others home field. Its the way it will always be.

The big difference is Hazard is known far and wide for it. Refs did everything but score the winning TD themselves to steal the game from Letcher.
(09-21-2022, 05:42 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: [ -> ]

You’ll have to forgive him everybody. Raceland lives rent free in his head. It’s all he thinks about

What I think about most is none of those championships they have.
(09-21-2022, 05:24 PM)TheStickyBandit Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-21-2022, 05:02 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]

Right… because winning games is not the point, I guess? I am not trying to talk down about Belfry, however, if the biggest success so far this season is beating a Belfry team that has lost more games than it’s won…. That is where your bias has clouded your ability to view things objectively my friend. I meant no disrespect to Pikeville in my original post but I only wanted to point out that they have not beat a team with a winning record yet.

Belfry will get better as the season progresses and Haywood will do his thing with this team. My point must have went over your head so I’ll explain, an early season win against a down team is not the win that you want it to be. 

As to what everyone else thinks…. It’s an online forum to discuss things like this without getting too bent out of shape… who cares?

Sorry I hurt your feelings mister.
You keep going by records and they will let you vote in the AP poll lol. My feelings aren't hurt and my name isn't Mister. You seem fine, just must be young and haven't followed football for very long.
(09-21-2022, 09:19 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-21-2022, 05:30 PM)bac2369 Wrote: [ -> ]Every team thinks they get cheated at the others home field. Its the way it will always be.

The big difference is Hazard is known far and wide for it. Refs did everything but score the winning TD themselves to steal the game from Letcher.

Letcher was also given the football back on a fumble a few plays before scoring the touchdown thst put them in the lead.
(09-21-2022, 08:31 PM)Patriot1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-21-2022, 05:28 PM)bac2369 Wrote: [ -> ]

Now bac2369 you know that’s not true I believe in 2016 they beat Pikeville at Pikeville plus refs are people and they do make mistakes and I seen them this year take a touchdown away from Pikeville in the Covington game that might have changed the game. You are right though most people will always make that statement and even I have especially the semi game against a team at their place when Pikeville had 19 flags and the home team had 0.  Sometimes we as fans get carried away in our statements and should not. Hope you are doing good and hope to see you at Pikeville in a few weeks.

Yes Hazard did beat Pikeville in the playoffs but lost 29-21 in the regular season. I watched the Cov Cath game and I agree. Officials missed the call. I know Pikeville ended up scoring a few plays later but it could of changed the game.
(09-22-2022, 01:34 AM)bac2369 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-21-2022, 09:19 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]

Letcher was also given the football back on a fumble a few plays before scoring the touchdown thst put them in the lead.

I also must add the same crew who officiated that Hazard and Letcher game called the Letcher n Breathitt game.
Pages: 1 2