Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hypothetical RPI question in 2a
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So i need someone to post this weeks 2a rpi poll to this.. cant figure out how to get it to post.. thxs
  On to the question...  if the season ended today like it is who would play who.. i guess my question is more on figuring out how the reshuffling works

Week 1 -  District play 1vs4  2vs3

Week 2 -  District winners 1 vs 2

Week 3 -  ( reshuffle) state divided into halves based on the number one's from each district 1 2,3,4( highest rpi playes lowest 1v4 then 2v3). Then the otherside of state, the number ones from district 5,6 7,8 ( highest rpi playes lowest 1v4 2v3

Week 4 -  (reshuffle) state as a whole.  4 teams left ( highest rpi vs lowest) 1v4 2v3..

Week 5 -  championship.. 

Is this the correct way this is played out?
Using Mayfield as a example

Week 1 - mayfield #1 vs Ballard mem.#4
Week 2 - mayfield #1 vs Murray #2
Week 3 - mayfield #1 vs LCA#4
Week 4 - mayfield #1 vs ???

I guess what im looking at is, its possible with LCA's RPI being where it is that we could play them in week 3 if i have this correct above?

I guess there is the chance that LCA .058305 catches metcalf .061990. And that would put them in at a #3 seed in round 3..
Ok, you are almost 100% correct but in your Week 3 of the playoffs, you have Mayfield playing LCA. That can’t happen because most likely these two teams will be the highest 2 remaining teams in the west in the RPI. So they should be separated in the 3rd round.The only way they play is if say Mayfield was 1 in RPI points and LCA was the 4th in RPI points then it would happen. But I don’t see those two teams meeting until the championship.

There is no reshuffling so to speak. The West plays West opponents until the 3rd round. After the 3rd round games the West is combined with the remaining East teams and the 4th round games are seeded based off the remaining teams RPI.

Mayfield and LCA should only meet in the finals. If Mayfield stays #1 in RPI. 

I’m thinking you might see a Beechwood/LCA in the 4th round this year potentially…. Because of RPI. We all can answer this better after the last regular season game when the RPI is locked in. 

If Mayfield is #1 in RPI, then whoever is the 4 seed is their opponent. In the 3rd round and 4th round.
The RPI is early and should tighten up by season’s end. But after looking at the chart. Right now Mayfield might play LCA because LCA is so low.
Pretty sure the 1st and 2nd rounds are intra-district this year, so Mayfield wouldn't play Ballard Memorial first, it would be the 4 seed from District 2. Then in the 3rd round it would go RPI seeding but still be East v. West. So given that Mayfield is #1 in the RPI right now, it would go something like this:

Round 1: Mayfield v. 4 seed from District 2
Round 2: Mayfield v. Winner of 2 seed from District 2 v. 3 seed from District 1
Round 3: Mayfield v. 4th highest RPI left standing in the West
Round 4: Mayfield v. 4th highest RPI left standing statewide
Round 5: Mayfield v. Whoever is left

(09-21-2022, 07:20 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]The RPI is early and should tighten up by season’s end. But after looking at the chart. Right now Mayfield might play LCA because LCA is so low.
There's also a chance that Beechwood would jump Mayfield in the RPI too though. Mayfield needs Graves County, Hopkinsville, and PT to start reeling off some wins because as it sits, Beechwood's loss to Covington Catholic is the only thing keeping them from the top spot. Mayfield's OWP and OOWP are not good.
I think you are dead on!
(09-21-2022, 07:20 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]The RPI is early and should tighten up by season’s end. But after looking at the chart. Right now Mayfield might play LCA because LCA is so low.

Yea i understand rpi is to change an it is kinda irrelevant right now... but i was talking with some ppl last night looking at possible match-ups... was trying to figure out how the rounds went... an in round 3 in west currently mayfield is highest district 1, o cath imo would beat maclean 2nd highest district 2, then metcalfe out of district 3, and LCa out of district 4.... but i guess its possible for LCA to over take metcalfe in rpi points .. but if they dont mayfield would play them in round three..
(09-21-2022, 09:02 AM)Shogun Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure the 1st and 2nd rounds are intra-district this year, so Mayfield wouldn't play Ballard Memorial first, it would be the 4 seed from District 2. Then in the 3rd round it would go RPI seeding but still be East v. West. So given that Mayfield is #1 in the RPI right now, it would go something like this:

(09-21-2022, 07:20 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]The RPI is early and should tighten up by season’s end. But after looking at the chart. Right now Mayfield might play LCA because LCA is so low.
There's also a chance that Beechwood would jump Mayfield in the RPI too though. Mayfield needs Graves County, Hopkinsville, and PT to start reeling off some wins because as it sits, Beechwood's loss to Covington Catholic is the only thing keeping them from the top spot. Mayfield's OWP and OOWP are not good.

From what I have been told the Tigers will overtake Mayfield for the top spot. SK will win the Nky 6a up here. The only bad win Beechwood has has is Paintsville. But I don’t know how it works with 1a schools. 
I’d hate to see that in the 3rd round, That is a 4th round or championship game matchup.
(09-21-2022, 09:02 AM)Shogun Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure the 1st and 2nd rounds are intra-district this year, so Mayfield wouldn't play Ballard Memorial first, it would be the 4 seed from District 2. Then in the 3rd round it would go RPI seeding but still be East v. West. So given that Mayfield is #1 in the RPI right now, it would go something like this:

Do we know for sure if it would look like that in round 1 an round 2 bc last year it was played
District 1 #1vs#4 #2vs#3 round 1
District 1 #1vs#2 round 2

And yeah i agree with beechwood still possibly passing Mayfield by years end bc of their sos.. definitely need these teams on their sched to start winning...
This is an assumption that these are the teams who are the last 8 teams in the West after Rounds 1 &2. Top Team is who I am projecting to win the regular season district title. I am going to call a Danville win over Green County in Round 2 and a Hancock County win over Murray. This goes to show there are a LOT of variables though that go into projecting the outcome.

Mayfield - D1/R1 top team (#1 in RPI)
OCath- D2/R1 top team (#4 in RPI)
McLean County- D2/R1 2nd team (#2 in RPI)
Hancock County- D2/R1 3rd team (#3 in RPI)
Metcalfe County- D3/R2 top team (#6 in RPI)
LCA- D4/R2 top team (#7 in RPI)
Somerset- D4/R2 2nd team (#5 in RPI)
Danville- D4/R2 3rd team (#8 in RPI)

With this pure guess of the Final 8 teams remaining, the current RPI matchups for Round 3 would be:
#8 Danville @ #1 Mayfield
#5 Somerset @ #4 OCath

#7 LCA @ #2 McLean County
#6 Metcalfe County @ #3 Hancock County

Long story short... wayyyyyyyyyy too soon to project hardly anything hypothetically. We need at least a couple district weeks and we need every team to cycle through their bye weeks before even getting any semblance of a playoff picture.

I feel confident if Mayfield wins out they get the 1 seed in the West and if Beechwood wins out they get the 1 seed in the East. That's about the only things I can project with confidence right now.
If your beechwood, Mayfield, or lca you dont wanna play the other untill the championship game... having to play two of the big three is the hardest path... but man.. who will get that task... traditionaly it would be the #2 & #3 teams. But with LCA so low in rpi the #1 team could have to play LCA as a #4.... i guess that kinda depends on who comes out of the eastside of the state in round 3.. Middleboro, Breth county , and Prestonsburg all come from that side of the state an are currently above LCA in rpi by .04 .. if one of them 3 win out an can hold on to #3 spot in rpi for round 4, it would put LCA at a #4 seed. Then who ever is #1 would have the rougher road....
other scenario is LCA beats out the other team not named beechwood for the #3 spot an has to play the #2 team in round 4.... guess it depends on who makes it out of the east side of the state an if they can do it by winning out to stay ahead of LCA

(09-21-2022, 10:26 AM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: [ -> ]This is an assumption that these are the teams who are the last 8 teams in the West after Rounds 1 &2. Top Team is who I am projecting to win the regular season district title. I am going to call a Danville win over Green County in Round 2 and a Hancock County win over Murray. This goes to show there are a LOT of variables though that go into projecting the outcome.

With this pure guess of the Final 8 teams remaining, the current RPI matchups for Round 3 would be:
#5 Somerset @ #4 OCath

Long story short... wayyyyyyyyyy too soon to project hardly anything hypothetically. We need at least a couple district weeks and we need every team to cycle through their bye weeks before even getting any semblance of a playoff picture.

I feel confident if Mayfield wins out they get the 1 seed in the West and if Beechwood wins out they get the 1 seed in the East. That's about the only things I can project with confidence right now.

So are you saying

Round 1 district 1 #1 vs district 2 #4
district 1 #2 vs district 2 #3
District 1 #3 vs district 2 #2
District 1 #4 vs district 2 #1
Ect.......

...or is it played out per district as it was last year in round one an two??

Round 1
District 1
#1vs#4
#2vs#3. Ect.....
(09-21-2022, 10:26 AM)ontopofthewest Wrote: [ -> ]If your beechwood, Mayfield,  or lca you dont wanna play the other untill the championship game...  having to play two of the big three is the hardest path...  but man.. who will get that task... traditionaly it would be the #2 & #3 teams. But with LCA so low in rpi the #1 team could have to play LCA as a #4....  i guess that kinda depends on who comes out of the eastside of the state in round 3.. Middleboro,  Breth county , and Prestonsburg all come from that side of the state an are currently above LCA in rpi by .04 .. if one of them 3 win out an can hold on to #3 spot in rpi for round 4, it would put LCA at a #4 seed.  Then who ever is #1 would have the rougher road.... 
    other scenario is LCA beats out the other team not named beechwood for the #3 spot  an has to play the #2 team in round 4.... guess it depends on who makes it out of the east side of the state an if they can do it by winning out to stay ahead of LCA
That's a good point that I didn't take into account. It would appear that the top four teams in 2A in no particular order at this point are Beechwood, LCA, Mayfield, and Owensboro Catholic. One of those teams are a guarantee not to make it to the semifinals as Mayfield, LCA and O'Cath are all in the West, so two of them are going to be playing each other in round 3, assuming they all make it that far.
(09-21-2022, 10:26 AM)ontopofthewest Wrote: [ -> ]If your beechwood, Mayfield,  or lca you dont wanna play the other untill the championship game...  having to play two of the big three is the hardest path...  but man.. who will get that task... traditionaly it would be the #2 & #3 teams. But with LCA so low in rpi the #1 team could have to play LCA as a #4....  i guess that kinda depends on who comes out of the eastside of the state in round 3.. Middleboro,  Breth county , and Prestonsburg all come from that side of the state an are currently above LCA in rpi by .04 .. if one of them 3 win out an can hold on to #3 spot in rpi for round 4, it would put LCA at a #4 seed.  Then who ever is #1 would have the rougher road.... 
    other scenario is LCA beats out the other team not named beechwood for the #3 spot  an has to play the #2 team in round 4.... guess it depends on who makes it out of the east side of the state an if they can do it by winning out to stay ahead of LCA
If Mayfield wants to avoid LCA as long as possible:
1. Take Care of your own business and win out.
2. Cheer hard for all these larger schools Mayfield beat to win as many games as possible.
3. You want OCath to win their district to lose to Etown in the regular season finale. You want McLean to lose to Allen County Scottsville and to beat Hancock County.
4. You want LCA to win out to win their District and you really need them to beat Pikeville and 6A Henry Clay.
5. Might not hurt to pull against Somerset to lose to 1A Hazard as well.

This is the best path for LCA to rise in the RPI rankings enough to get to like a 2 or 3 seed and stay away from a 4,5,or 8 RPI seed.

(09-21-2022, 10:26 AM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: [ -> ]This is an assumption that these are the teams who are the last 8 teams in the West after Rounds 1 &2. Top Team is who I am projecting to win the regular season district title. I am going to call a Danville win over Green County in Round 2 and a Hancock County win over Murray. This goes to show there are a LOT of variables though that go into projecting the outcome.

#5 Somerset @ #4 OCath

So are you saying

Round 1  district 1 #1 vs district 2 #4
                    Ect.......

Round 1
  District 1
  #1vs#4
  #2vs#3.      Ect.....
Shoot I am confusing myself now! LOL

Here is what we know:
ROUND 1
D1 Team 1 vs. D2 Team 4 
D2 Team 2 vs. D1 Team 3

D2 Team 1 vs. D1 Team 4
D1 Team 2 vs. D2 Team 3

D3 Team 1 vs. D4 Team 4
D4 Team 2 vs. D3 Team 3

D4 Team 1 vs. D3 Team 4
D3 Team 2 vs. D4 Team 3

Round 2
Winners of above games play.

In other words I was wrong, Round 3 would have (4) teams remaining not eight. 

So the hypothetical in my example would actually be these teams remaining:
Mayfield (#1 in RPI)
OCath (#2 in RPI)
Metcalfe County (#3 in RPI)
LCA (#4 in RPI)

Round 3
LCA @ Mayfield
Metcalfe @ OCath

Sorry bout that...
(09-21-2022, 10:41 AM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: [ -> ]
If Mayfield wants to avoid LCA as long as possible:
1. Take Care of your own business and win out.
2. Cheer hard for all these larger schools Mayfield beat to win as many games as possible.
3. You want OCath to win their district to lose to Etown in the regular season finale. You want McLean to lose to Allen County Scottsville and to beat Hancock County.
4. You want LCA to win out to win their District and you really need them to beat Pikeville and 6A Henry Clay.
5. Might not hurt to pull against Somerset to lose to 1A Hazard as well.

This is the best path for LCA to rise in the RPI rankings enough to get to like a 2 or 3 seed and stay away from a 4,5,or 8 RPI seed.
If Mayfield does fall behind Beechwood in the RPI though, then I'd be rooting very hard for Middlesboro or Breathitt County the rest of the way to lock up that 3 seed and stick LCA with the 4 seed. LCA dropping that Madison Central game in Week 1 may end up being a lot bigger than we originally thought. Mayfield fans should probably also be big Pikeville fans this week.

(09-21-2022, 10:48 AM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: [ -> ]

#5 Somerset @ #4 OCath

So are you saying

Round 1  district 1 #1 vs district 2 #4
                    Ect.......

Round 1
  District 1
  #1vs#4
  #2vs#3.      Ect.....
Shoot I am confusing myself now! LOL

Here is what we know:
ROUND 1
D1 Team 1 vs. D2 Team 4 
D2 Team 2 vs. D1 Team 3

D2 Team 1 vs. D1 Team 4
D1 Team 2 vs. D2 Team 3

D3 Team 1 vs. D4 Team 4
D4 Team 2 vs. D3 Team 3

D4 Team 1 vs. D3 Team 4
D3 Team 2 vs. D4 Team 3

Round 2
Winners of above games play.

In other words I was wrong, Round 3 would have (4) teams remaining not eight. 

So the hypothetical in my example would actually be these teams remaining:
Mayfield (#1 in RPI)
OCath (#2 in RPI)
Metcalfe County (#3 in RPI)
LCA (#4 in RPI)

Round 3
LCA @ Mayfield
Metcalfe @ OCath

Sorry bout that...
The Owensboro Catholic fans are salivating at that potential scenario. There's still too much ball left to play to even wrap my head around this right now.
So as miniscule as it is....... im still confused as to round 1 an 2..... are we sure 100% positive it is crossed district.... bc last year it was not.. Mayfield played Ballard Memorial in round one, Murray in round two .... should see the same result tho either way.. just wanna be correct about it..
(09-22-2022, 12:01 AM)ontopofthewest Wrote: [ -> ]So as miniscule as it is.......  im still confused as to round 1 an 2.....  are we sure 100% positive it is crossed district....  bc last year it was not.. Mayfield played Ballard Memorial in round one, Murray in round two .... should see the same result tho either way..  just wanna be correct about it..

Yes. This is the first year of cross districting.