Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best Coaching Trees
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I really liked the Most Respected Coaches thread. I saw on ESPN where they were comparing coaching Trees in college Football and whose was most impressive. I think this would be a great topic here.
What coaches have the most impressive Coaching tree. By tree I mean assistant coaches and guys that played for a certain coach and became or are head coaches or assistant coaches in their own right at different schools

For example the Holcomb tree would look like this
to name a few.

John Paul Chapman PIke Central, Pikeville
Justin Haddix Boyle Co, Corbin, PCc
Kyle Moore Breathitt
Mark Dixon Perry Central, Hazard
Brad Allen East Ridge, Pikeville, Belfry
Mike Bowlin Grant Co, Jessamine
Justin Combs Clay Co
Larry Maggard Morgan Co
I'm sure I'm forgetting some others but this gives you an idea.
I  would love to see some others. I'm sure there are some very impressive trees out there. Haywood, Beatty, Mueller, Smith, Harp, etc.
I am not the one to do this because I'm not a Belfry man, but I'll start it.

Coach Haywood
John Derosette
David Jones
????
If I'm right Dan Haley won a couple of state titles and had at least 3, possibly 4 of his assistants go on to win state titles of their own. Id be interested if anyone else matches that.
Larry French has a decent one. Chuck Smith and David Buchanan among them.
(09-07-2022, 07:28 PM)BEChargers Wrote: [ -> ]Larry French has a decent one.  Chuck Smith and David Buchanan among them.

I didn't know these guys coached under Larry French.  What is the farthest David Buchanan has advanced in the playoffs?
(09-06-2022, 10:46 AM)wolfcat Wrote: [ -> ]I really liked the Most Respected Coaches thread. I saw on ESPN where they were comparing coaching Trees in college Football and whose was most impressive. I think this would be a great topic here.
What coaches have the most impressive Coaching tree. By tree I mean assistant coaches and guys that played for a certain coach and became or are head coaches or assistant coaches in their own right at different schools

For example the Holcomb tree would look like this
to name a few.

John Paul Chapman PIke Central, Pikeville
Justin Haddix Boyle Co, Corbin, PCc
Kyle Moore Breathitt
Mark Dixon Perry Central, Hazard
Brad Allen East Ridge, Pikeville, Belfry
Mike Bowlin Grant Co, Jessamine
Justin Combs Clay Co
Larry Maggard Morgan Co
I'm sure I'm forgetting some others but this gives you an idea.
I  would love to see some others. I'm sure there are some very impressive trees out there. Haywood, Beatty, Mueller, Smith, Harp, etc.
Did Coach Holcomb coach under Dudley Hilton at Breathitt? If so he might not be the daddy of this bunchSmile
(09-07-2022, 07:28 PM)BEChargers Wrote: [ -> ]Larry French has a decent one.  Chuck Smith and David Buchanan among them.
I would say Chuck Smith is a pretty good one.  LOL
(09-07-2022, 08:38 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]

I didn't know these guys coached under Larry French.  What is the farthest David Buchanan has advanced in the playoffs?

I think the semi's.
Holcomb started under Ed Miracle at Madison Cemtral in the early 80’s.