Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mayfield 16 Paducah Tilghman 14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hard fought game. Up for grabs until the final minutes. Cant seem to find stats anywhere as our newspaper monopoly no longer shows them. PT has a beast of a run defense but, sadly, shot itself in the foot repeatedly with senseless penalties of emotion - or lack of mental toughness. Mayfield deserved to win not so much for better play - but for smarter play. If PT gets the hotheads under control - could be an interesting playoff team. I see people complaining about officiating - stop. Take the loss, shake hands, and move on.
I think both sides got some calls against them that left fans scratching their heads. The most obvious was near the end when MHS stopped PT a full half yard short and the white hat came in signaling first down. It took some work to get him to measure. Then the one where MHS receiver got a huge gain and got up and did a little dance and got flagged. The very next play PT linebacker made a thumping tackle. He got up and started flexing and jumping around, no penalty. However, it was a great game that I was very glad to watch.
(09-03-2022, 11:02 AM)Tica Wrote: [ -> ]Hard fought game. Up for grabs until the final minutes. Cant seem to find stats anywhere as our newspaper monopoly no longer shows them. PT has a beast of a run defense but, sadly, shot itself in the foot repeatedly with senseless penalties of emotion - or lack of mental toughness. Mayfield deserved to win not so much for better play - but for smarter play. If PT gets the hotheads under control - could be an interesting playoff team. I see people complaining about officiating - stop. Take the loss, shake
hands, and move on.
I agree, I’ve said earlier that PT will be the team that stops PT
Mayfield left at least 21 points on the field by running that dang wildcat JU JU should have gotten the ball on all the red zone carries bad play calling!!!
(09-03-2022, 05:32 PM)barnabus_c2001 Wrote: [ -> ]Mayfield left at least 21 points on the field by running that dang wildcat JU JU should have gotten the ball on all the red zone carries bad play calling!!!
I don’t think it cost them 21 points but I wasn’t crazy about those play calls either, especially when PT run defense was very tuff.
Whats the word on our health after that.... i know it was daylight an dark difference once it happened...
maybe we will know more about Jax next week coach moriss said it didnt look good.Thia kid works so hard!!!
The last wildcat formation almost cost them the game. Down 13-14, 3&G at the 6 and lose 10 yards!! The difference between a 23 & 33 yard field goal is huge in high school. The FG kicker bailed out the OC big time.

I can't believe he didn't learn from his mistake at the end of the half. All 11 defenders were hounding the run knowing there was no way a pass was coming without Cartwright in there. Plus, the QB would've managed the clock much better (no time outs). Maybe run the wildcat on 1st down, then get your QB in and call quick slant or an out route. It's a TD or incomplete and clock stops. Then OC would have plenty of time to decide on next two plays. Instead, they only got the 3rd down play in before time expired.
(09-04-2022, 04:33 PM)Glory_Days Wrote: [ -> ]The last wildcat formation almost cost them the game. Down 13-14, 3&G at the 6 and lose 10 yards!! The difference between a 23 & 33 yard field goal is huge in high school. The FG kicker bailed out the OC big time.

I can't believe he didn't learn from his mistake at the end of the half. All 11 defenders were hounding the run knowing there was no way a pass was coming without Cartwright in there. Plus, the QB would've managed the clock much better (no time outs). Maybe run the wildcat on 1st down, then get your QB in and call quick slant or an out route. It's a TD or incomplete and clock stops. Then OC would have plenty of time to decide on next two plays. Instead, they only got the 3rd down play in before time expired.
This is what i was trying to say you got it out better than i did good job glory days!!!!
Bizarre officiating by the line judge on the Mayfield side.

Mayfield gets stuffed for a loss on 4th down and he gives them a 1 yard gain..

Then, tilghman gets close on the qb sneak. The line judge on the PT side of the field marks it at or beyond the marker. Where it looked like it should have been. but the ref on the bottom side of the field, the mayfield side marks it as a loss. (It wasn't a loss) the white cap initially spots it at the line the ref on the pt side gavehim, but then movedit back to the ref on the mayfield side.

Then, when the teams are coming out from the timeout PT took when they go the 3rd down stop, the ref on the mayfield side throws an unsportsmanlike flag on the PT corner as he's coming back on the field. I'm sure he said something, but to to end the game in that way after the other stuff that was allowed to happen in the game is a shame.

All that to say, Tilghman gave it away by continuing to pass when Mayfield couldn't stop their stud running back, #7.

As a neutral fan, it was obvious PT was the better team but their coach outsmarted himeself in his playcalling.

Here is the sequence.

I think this will go to the exact spot of the qb sneak. he may have gotten it by a yard. The player, #7, pushing him gets beyond the first down. Just a terrible spot. Again, the same ref gave mayfield a TERRIFIC spot on a 4th down run of theirs.

Same guy threw the "unsportsmanlike" flag on PT.

Thats all part of the game who was ahead when time expired Mayfield was they are the better team.Lick your wounds and go on there were plenty of bad calls on both sides like when one of your players body sslammed one of our running backsm then celebrated no flag we got one for less than what he did he should have been ejected from the game!!!
(09-06-2022, 12:19 PM)barnabus_c2001 Wrote: [ -> ]Thats all part of the game who was ahead when time expired Mayfield was they are the better team.Lick your wounds and go on there were plenty of bad calls on both sides like when one of your players body sslammed one of our running backsm then celebrated no flag we got one for less than what he did he should have been ejected from the game!!!
Impressive run-on.

Refs didn't decide the game.  Sometimes the best team doesn't win.  The best team didn't win Friday night.  PT's coach got outcoached.  But let's not act like mayfield didn't get a lot of help from the ref on their side of the field... Particularly in the 4th quarter.
(09-06-2022, 12:57 PM)Go Blazers Go Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-06-2022, 12:19 PM)barnabus_c2001 Wrote: [ -> ]Thats all part of the game who was ahead when time expired Mayfield was they are the better team.Lick your wounds and go on there were plenty of bad calls on both sides like when one of your players body sslammed one of our running backsm then celebrated no flag we got one for less than what he did he should have been ejected from the game!!!
Impressive run-on.

Refs didn't decide the game.  Sometimes the best team doesn't win.  The best team didn't win Friday night.  PT's coach got outcoached.  But let's not act like mayfield didn't get a lot of help from the ref on their side of the field...  Particularly in the 4th quarter.
Cry me a river, there is questionable calls every game. As I have repeatedly said, there is more to being a good team than just athletic ability, including the intangibles. PT always is loaded with athleticism, but they get out coached, outplayed when they get punched in the mouth. I still say they will be at Kroger field in December but to insinuate the officiating cost PT the game is rediculous. Mayfield played toe to toe with them physically and outplayed them in all other areas of the game. PT did not score in the second half.
You failed to mention the play was run to the Mayfield side. The line judge on that side obviously had a better spot on the ball than the one standing 51 yards to the other side. That’s why his mark was used. I was setting at about that exact mark on the MHS side and had elevation. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was marked about a half yard short and appeared correct. Refs are not perfect, with no instant replay and cameras exactly shooting straight down that line we will never know.
(09-07-2022, 12:33 AM)mysonis55 Wrote: [ -> ]You failed to mention the play was run to the Mayfield side. The line judge on that side obviously had a better spot on the ball than the one standing 51 yards to the other side. That’s why his mark was used. I was setting at about that exact mark on the MHS side and had elevation. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was marked about a half yard short and appeared correct. Refs are not perfect, with no instant replay and cameras exactly shooting straight down that line we will never know.
Absolutely correct on the line judge on that side of field should spot the ball, the side judge on the PT side might not of even seen where a knee touched.

STATS
MHS—— Rush 32 for 88 yards
Pass 17 of 28 for 153 yards
14 first downs
13 penalty for 82 yards
ZERO turnovers
TOTAL YARDS 241

PT———Rush 40 for 187 yards
Pass 6 of 17 for 67 yards
14 first downs
9 penalties for 110 yards
2 turnovers- interceptions
TOTAL YARDS 254
Ok, I'm going to try and post some still shots. Stay tuned......

I was there on the Mayfield side and had a good view from the 30 yard line. I enjoyed looking at the video, which doesn't change my initial feeling that he was short. Note that the QB crawled for about a yard and half and even extended the ball after the whistle. To the Tilghman fans' they didn't have the best view. The ball was on the hash (Mayfield side) along with the crown of the field. The white hat did a severe injustice to the Tilghman fans by prematurely signaling first down. He was obviously confused, because a measurement was needed either way.

Prelude:
Tilghman has 4&1 at the 50 yard line. 
The chain crew isn't holding the downfield stick straight so it's hard to tell, but the line to make is the Mayfield 49.
Tilghman started 1&10 at their own 41. That can be seen clearly if you go back and watch. This confirms the line to make is the Mayfield 49.

Everyone can interpret the following photos as they choose, but I added some word boxes and arrows to help.

The sequence starts at 03:05:30 just after the snap.

Oh well. Took some good still shots, but they are too large to post.
Pic 1 - QB stood up at the 50, hidden in the pile.
Pic 2 - QB still hasn't gained much if any.

[attachment=384][attachment=383]

Pic 3 - QB's helmet coming out of the pile near the rear end of #1 for Mayfield. Hard to imagine his knee or elbow isn't on the ground at this point.
Pic 4 - QB crawling out of the pile. Elbow is definitely down and helmet is just beyond the 49 but he crawled out of the pile.
Pic 5 - QB crawling on the ground well after the whistle. You can see the referee held his mark as he is running toward the pile. The other referee is too far away from the play.

I believe him down in between pic 2 and pic 3.

[attachment=385][attachment=386][attachment=387]

The word boxes and arrows didn't format so I added narration to each pic
(09-06-2022, 12:57 PM)Go Blazers Go Wrote: [ -> ]
Impressive run-on.

Refs didn't decide the game.  Sometimes the best team doesn't win.  The best team didn't win Friday night.  PT's coach got outcoached.  But let's not act like mayfield didn't get a lot of help from the ref on their side of the field...  Particularly in the 4th quarter.
Best team did win Blazer,glad u liked my run on guess when you cant win you become the grammar police.Look at the scoreboard see whos behind....you.!!!!
Interesting read on this one. Pretty ironic to read all of the Mayfield posters telling the PT posters to "cry me a river" and stuff. Sounds like a whole different crew than the ones posting after that 2A Final in 2019. Way different outlook this time.
(09-08-2022, 08:47 AM)Walt Longmire Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting read on this one.  Pretty ironic to read all of the Mayfield posters telling the PT posters to "cry me a river" and stuff.  Sounds like a whole different crew than the ones posting after that 2A Final in 2019.  Way different outlook this time.
Not our turn to cry,, lol, we may before it’s over tho. Bet you’ve cried a time or two as well.