Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Prestonsburg @ Magoffin Co. 8/26
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Prestonsburg 1-0
Magoffin Co. 0-1

This isn’t the biggest game on the marquee, but there’s definitely a storyline there. Prestonsburg will be traveling to Salyersville this Friday to take on the Ol’ Ball Coach, John DeRossett. 

Magoffin is coming off of a tough defeat to an inspired Breathitt Co. squad while Prestonsburg squeaked out a close game over fellow county school, Betsy Layne. Should be a packed house for this one. I know one thing is for certain, John will have the Hornets ready for a battle. I cannot wait. 

So what say you, BGR? Does the ol’ ball coach beat Prestonsburg or do the red and black go into Salyersville and bring back a W?
These items most often mean nothing, but if Betsy Layne hung around/competed well vs Breathitt in scrimmage and Pburg beat BL-one might think on sheer talent and ability edge probably favors the Blackcats.

However, you never know if Coaches are just looking at certain things in a scrimmage or going full bore to try and establish that their team is competitive.

Emotions, revenge, grudges usually only go so far in a football game. Honestly, I think those factors are an impedance as often as they are a motivation.

Finally, most of the players in this game won’t have as much “feeling” invested as do the fans. Both coaches are quality guys. This game will come down to controlling the LOS, big plays, and turnovers.

I agree- very interesting game, indeed.
(08-21-2022, 04:11 PM)ROTC Wrote: [ -> ]These items most often mean nothing, but if Betsy Layne hung around/competed well vs Breathitt in scrimmage and Pburg beat BL-one might think on sheer talent and ability edge probably favors the Blackcats.

However, you never know if Coaches are just looking at certain things in a scrimmage or going full bore to try and establish that their team is competitive.

Emotions, revenge, grudges usually only go so far in a football game. Honestly, I think those factors are an impedance as often as they are a motivation.

Finally, most of the players in this game won’t have as much “feeling” invested as do the fans. Both coaches are quality guys. This game will come down to controlling the LOS, big plays, and turnovers.

I agree- very interesting game, indeed.

Exactly. None of these kids played for John. It’ll definitely be more of a thing for the fans.

You’re spot on about scrimmages too. Some teams treat them differently than others. Some may try different looks and try to rotate as many kids in and out as possible.

I’d like to also challenge the great crowd that showed up at Josh Francis Field on Friday to travel with us this Friday. These boys and the community need each other to take the next step in this rebuild.

Go Blackcats!
Watched a little of Magoffin and Breathitt. The Hornets have a long ways to go to even be competitive.
It'll be nice to see the old ball coach on the sidelines again for this one, he deserves it, but I think he's got his work cut out for him this season. Very uncharacteristic for him to bring a team into week 1 so out of shape, but that's what I saw in the Breathitt game. They looked like they were out if gas before halftime, whereas Pburg is in the best shape going into week 1 that I've seen them in in the Brewer era. Pburg looks better in the trenches and better in the backfield. I dont see magoffin having the talent to stop Jarvis and Little or punch holes in the line. Best of luck to Derosset this season, buy I think pburg takes this one by 14+.
(08-21-2022, 05:41 PM)Red and Black Wrote: [ -> ]It'll be nice to see the old ball coach on the sidelines again for this one, he deserves it, but I think he's got his work cut out for him this season. Very uncharacteristic for him to bring a team into week 1 so out of shape, but that's what I saw in the Breathitt game. They looked like they were out if gas before halftime, whereas Pburg is in the best shape going into week 1 that I've seen them in in the Brewer era. Pburg looks better in the trenches and better in the backfield. I dont see magoffin having the talent to stop Jarvis and Little or punch holes in the line. Best of luck to Derosset this season, buy I think pburg takes this one by 14+.
I was talking to a buddy of mine who played prominently under Coach DeRossett, and we were flabbergasted at how out of shape they were. Especially on the defensive side. More than a few times Breathitt was set and ready to snap and Magoffin didn’t have anyone in a stance. 

They’ll get better as the season goes though. Coach D is relentless.
The Team that was at Breathitt wont be the same team against Pburg. The old John DeRossett will surface in this matchup, only because this is an emotional game for him. He won’t lose this matchup.
Anyone who knows John Derossett knows that he wants to win this game more than any other that's on his schedule. He'll do whatever it takes to get as many folks at this game as he can and he's going to give one heckuva pregame speech to get his guys fired up for the game. I'm sure he's going to be very spirited at practice all week and he'll have his team much more prepared for this game than they were last Friday.

It looked to my like Magoffin is running a lot of what Prestonsburg's defense seen against Betsy Layne. Barnett and Lafferty are the Hornets two best players and they'll be the ones handling the football 85% of the game for Magoffin. I'm hoping Prestonsburg defense plays more disciplined this game than they did last week. They got into position to make plays behind the LOS, but allowed Robinson and Music to break out of arm tackles and scamper for chunk yardage and first downs. I do expect Prestonsburg to play better football than they did last Friday also on offense. Linemen need to stay on their blocks and allow Jarvis and Little to get into the back end of MC's defense. If they're able to do that early, then it wouldn't surprise me to see Prestonsburg blow this one open in the 3rd quarter if they play how they're capable of.

I fully expect Magoffin to try and hit on a big play early in the game to try and get Prestonsburg back on their heels and play very aggressive on defense to try and force a turnover or 3 and out. If the Hornets can do that then they'll have a shot at winning this one. If Prestonsburg comes out and plays how they're capable and simply plays smart disciplined football then they can take control of this game early and win by a few touchdowns. No need in the Blackcat coaching staff in trying to prove something out of the gate. Trust your seniors and your stud players (Porter, Stephens, Jarvis, Little) and let them work.

It's going to be another fun atmosphere and I'm hoping both sides show respect and play a clean football game.

Prestonsburg wins, 31-14.
Judging by what I saw last Friday night at Breathitt, the Blackcats should win this game. I don't know if Derossett showed all of his hand, due to him knowing he would be over matched Friday, but if not, this is a game Prestonsburg should win. Regardless, emotions will be running high and I look for a tight game in the first half, with Prestonsburg pulling away in the second half. Prestonsburg wins 35-21.
(08-22-2022, 07:50 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote: [ -> ]Judging by what I saw last Friday night at Breathitt, the Blackcats should win this game. I don't know if Derossett showed all of his hand, due to him knowing he would be over matched Friday, but if not, this is a game Prestonsburg should win. Regardless, emotions will be running high and I look for a tight game in the first half, with Prestonsburg pulling away in the second half. Prestonsburg wins 35-21.

you’re on the right track about showing hands.  I noticed during the scrimmages compared to the games, the offense is totally different with different personnel each time.  That could hurt or help in some cases.  

these hornets are not accustomed to DeRossetts style yet and if they can get something going early, Pburg has no chance. But, if Magoffin lays down again in the second half like they did at Breathitt, then it may be a long night for Hornettville. 

I still think DeRossett comes up with a game plan that the film doesn’t show; watching film of the previous game won’t be a factor in the Pburg matchup.
If Magoffin uses Ben Lafferty properly, they win. If they don’t, they’ll lose. Simple as that.
As someone mentioned earlier, you can bet Coach D. will have something up his sleeve Friday Night. They got bullied against Breathitt and you know that isn't setting well with Coach. I believe Magoffin has the athletes to make things interesting, but I don't know if they are conditioned enough to play four quarters. If anything surprises me about Magoffin, it would be their conditioning, because Coach always had the boys in Prestonsburg in tip, top shape. I believe as long as the Blackcats don't allow the Hornets to start off fast and we can hold on to the ball, I don't see Magoffin playing with us for 48 minutes. On the flip side, if Magoffin starts off fast and gets uncle Mo on their side then it could be a long night for the Blackcats. All and all, I expect Prestonsburg to wear down the Hornets and take the sting out of them in the fourth. Blackcats win 28-20.
I don't think Prestonsburg can cover Barrnet now if the Hornets can get him the ball it will be a long night for the blackcats the same as if they can't get him the ball then the blackcats should pull out the win
(08-22-2022, 09:10 PM)Coach00 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think Prestonsburg can cover Barrnet now if the Hornets can get him the ball it will be a long night for the blackcats the same as if they can't get him the ball then the blackcats should pull out the win

It looked like he was at QB last week
(08-22-2022, 03:40 PM)Brutus Wrote: [ -> ]If Magoffin uses Ben Lafferty properly, they win. If they don’t, they’ll lose. Simple as that.
What is the “proper” way to use Lafferty? Ben is a good football player, but I’m not sure where you’re going with that statement. Ben, Barnett nor anyone else is gonna do much if our Oline doesn’t do their jobs. It all starts up front.
(08-23-2022, 08:48 AM)Redneck Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-22-2022, 03:40 PM)Brutus Wrote: [ -> ]If Magoffin uses Ben Lafferty properly, they win. If they don’t, they’ll lose. Simple as that.
What is the “proper” way to use Lafferty? Ben is a good football player, but I’m not sure where you’re going with that statement. Ben, Barnett nor anyone else is gonna do much if our Oline doesn’t do their jobs. It all starts up front.
O line is issue.  It don't matter what you do if you get hit behind line every time.   Also, can't kill Lafferty by having him cary ball 30 times, he will be injured quickly and defense will also suffer.    they have to develop couple other options beyond Barnett and Lafferty in addtion to finding on O Line that can block someone.    A lot of work to go in Magoffin.    But I still think PBurg game  will be a good game, they did not impress me eithier.
FTS. Feed the studs. Kids aren’t born blocking. They’re taught. It’s not lack of size and strength at MC.
But Lafferty is the ONLY one who can naturally sustain 20+ touches a game. Give him some daylight and let him play, then use Barnett as the speedier weapon.
I haven’t seen MC do this yet.
Not sure what else Coach D has up his sleeve, but the offense that Magoffin ran vs Breathitt was the exact same offense he ran at Pburg for 25 years. Double tight 2 back shotgun with alot of off tackles, counters and qb runs. If he had another offense then I'm sure he would have tried to fine tune it at least a little bit vs Breathitt to be ready to use it for Pburg. I dont see Magoffin being capable of learning two completely different offensive schemes in Derossetts very first offseason just for the purpose of misdirection when studying film. Not saying it's impossible, but I'm saying it's very unlikely. I think Magoffin does exactly the same thing vs Pburg that they did vs Breathitt, which is use the offense Coach D had a tremendous amount of success with the last time he was a head HS football coach. Pburg will control the clock and field position with better linemen and better backs, but for Magoffin to have a chance in this one they will have to have a game full of explosive plays out of that two back gun scheme, and given that pburg didn't look very good on defense vs BL that gives Magoffin a shot in this one, but they will have to earn it.
(08-23-2022, 11:24 AM)Red and Black Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure what else Coach D has up his sleeve, but the offense that Magoffin ran vs Breathitt was the exact same offense he ran at Pburg for 25 years. Double tight 2 back shotgun with alot of off tackles, counters and qb runs. If he had another offense then I'm sure he would have tried to fine tune it at least a little bit vs Breathitt to be ready to use it for Pburg. I dont see Magoffin being capable of learning two completely different offensive schemes in Derossetts very first offseason just for the purpose of misdirection when studying film. Not saying it's impossible, but I'm saying it's very unlikely. I think Magoffin does exactly the same thing vs Pburg that they did vs Breathitt, which is use the offense Coach D had a tremendous amount of success with the last time he was a head HS football coach. Pburg will control the clock and field position with better linemen and better backs, but for Magoffin to have a chance in this one they will have to have a game full of explosive plays out of that two back gun scheme, and given that pburg didn't look very good on defense vs BL that gives Magoffin a shot in this one, but they will have to earn it

I think it was mentioned before that it is uncharacteristic of a DeRossett team to be so out of shape.  His previous teams used to beat teams in the second half because of conditioning.  

this is the only issue is see with the MC team. Scheme and misdirection of plays won’t be a factor if they can get in game shape for this matchup. Pburg has some runners but so does magoffin, Pburg has some blockers, so does magoffin.  Ben is a big kid and could dominate this game if he wants to.  If they can get Ben mentally ready for this game and put it all out on the field, then Pburg will just step out of his way.  Ben has to set the tone and the team will follow.
(08-23-2022, 12:14 PM)papabear02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2022, 11:24 AM)Red and Black Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure what else Coach D has up his sleeve, but the offense that Magoffin ran vs Breathitt was the exact same offense he ran at Pburg for 25 years. Double tight 2 back shotgun with alot of off tackles, counters and qb runs. If he had another offense then I'm sure he would have tried to fine tune it at least a little bit vs Breathitt to be ready to use it for Pburg. I dont see Magoffin being capable of learning two completely different offensive schemes in Derossetts very first offseason just for the purpose of misdirection when studying film. Not saying it's impossible, but I'm saying it's very unlikely. I think Magoffin does exactly the same thing vs Pburg that they did vs Breathitt, which is use the offense Coach D had a tremendous amount of success with the last time he was a head HS football coach. Pburg will control the clock and field position with better linemen and better backs, but for Magoffin to have a chance in this one they will have to have a game full of explosive plays out of that two back gun scheme, and given that pburg didn't look very good on defense vs BL that gives Magoffin a shot in this one, but they will have to earn it

I think it was mentioned before that it is uncharacteristic of a DeRossett team to be so out of shape.  His previous teams used to beat teams in the second half because of conditioning.  

this is the only issue is see with the MC team. Scheme and misdirection of plays won’t be a factor if they can get in game shape for this matchup. Pburg has some runners but so does magoffin, Pburg has some blockers, so does magoffin.  Ben is a big kid and could dominate this game if he wants to.  If they can get Ben mentally ready for this game and put it all out on the field, then Pburg will just step out of his way.  Ben has to set the tone and the team will follow.
I can assure you PBurg won’t just “step out of his way”

The defense gave up a few big plays to Betsy Layne, but one of their TDs was scored on a fumble recovery vs the offense. I expect Coach Brewer to tune up the defense this week in practice. If Magoffin’s line doesn’t get any better, then a few players from PBurg will live in the backfield all night. 

Barnett and Lafferty are studs though, that’s without question. Barnett is just good at every sport he plays and Lafferty is a very intelligent player.
This will certainly be a passion filled game from the fan perspective. I would say that both coaching staffs probably feel like there's a lot on the line here. PBurg shocked a lot of people by beating Besty Lane in my opinion, The Blackcats are a senior heavy team and I'm not sure about Magoffin but based on the events of Friday. I believe that the Blackcats come out with a win, I realize that Coach D is a mountain legend and accomplished coach, but Coach Brewer does not get enough credit in my opinion he came into a tough situation at Powell and turned that program in the right direction during his tenure. He came to Pburg when the program was collapsing and has begun to make progress, I think he comes up with a brilliant game plan to put the Blackcats in a spot to win this game Friday! Good luck to both teams!
Pburg 35
Magoffin 14
I've been around and a part of this program for 45 + years and I wouldn't call beating Betsy Layne progress. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but we have a long way to go. I think this is Brewer's best team by far, and hopefully by the end of the season we can say we've made progress. I can tell you, if Coach D. played this schedule on a regular basis during his tenure at Prestonsburg, there would have been a lot of of 9-1 and 10-0, seasons. Prestonsburg has a real shot at starting the season 6-0, and anything less would be a disappointment, in my opinion. I don't see us having the offense to play with Shelby Valley, but every other game is winnable. If we make the playoff's and finish the season at 7-3, 8-2, or 9-1, then I would call that progress. Anything less wouldn't be progress with this schedule. That is just my opinion! Hail Blackcats!
(08-23-2022, 01:10 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: [ -> ]I've been around and a part of this program for 45 + years and I wouldn't call beating Betsy Layne progress. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but we have a long way to go. I think this is Brewer's best team by far, and hopefully by the end of the season we can say we've made progress. I can tell you, if Coach D. played this schedule on a regular basis during his tenure at Prestonsburg, there would have been a lot of of 9-1 and 10-0, seasons. Prestonsburg has a real shot at starting the season 6-0, and anything less would be a disappointment, in my opinion. I don't see us having the offense to play with Shelby Valley, but every other game is winnable. If we make the playoff's and finish the season at 7-3, 8-2, or 9-1, then I would call that progress. Anything less wouldn't be progress with this schedule. That is just my opinion! Hail Blackcats!
IdeaBingo!
(08-23-2022, 01:10 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: [ -> ]I've been around and a part of this program for 45 + years and I wouldn't call beating Betsy Layne progress. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but we have a long way to go. I think this is Brewer's best team by far, and hopefully by the end of the season we can say we've made progress. I can tell you, if Coach D. played this schedule on a regular basis during his tenure at Prestonsburg, there would have been a lot of of 9-1 and 10-0, seasons. Prestonsburg has a real shot at starting the season 6-0, and anything less would be a disappointment, in my opinion. I don't see us having the offense to play with Shelby Valley, but every other game is winnable. If we make the playoff's and finish the season at 7-3, 8-2, or 9-1, then I would call that progress. Anything less wouldn't be progress with this schedule. That is just my opinion! Hail Blackcats!

I agree.

The win over Betsy Layne is a big win for coach Brewer probably more than it is for the program. He had to win that game because this is year 5 and half his team are seniors. The Blackcats should be 6-0 heading into the 9/30 home district game vs. Shelby Valley. The talent and experience are there on this team. Not one team on the schedule should blow out this Pburg team.
Oops. Sorry!
I see nearly half the roster for Pburg are seniors. So is this year possibly a one hit wonder for them or will they be relevant years to come? How does the underclass man and middle school rosters look for Pburg? I remember back from 2000 to 2010 them and Belfry were the 2 best teams in the region. That was right before Johnson Central became a football power.
(08-23-2022, 02:09 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: [ -> ]I see nearly half the roster for Pburg are seniors. So is this year possibly a one hit wonder for them or will they be relevant years to come? How does the underclass man and middle school rosters look for Pburg? I remember back from 2000 to 2010 them and Belfry were the 2 best teams in the region. That was right before Johnson Central became a football power.
After this season Prestonsburg is going to lose probably 8 or 9 starters on both sides of the ball. The biggest hit will be on the line. This team currently starts a freshman center and a freshman at linebacker. Two sophomores are probably their two best playmakers and then their are two juniors who start or play significant time. Most of the rest of the underclassman have a long ways to go in their development. It’s going to take a full off season of commitment in the weight room and wrestling and track to get a lot where they need to be for 2023. 

Adams Middle 7/8th & 5/6th grade teams have a lot of talent coming up and kids from football families. When this 8th grade class are juniors and seniors Prestonsburg will be a top 10 team in 2A and should continue to be for the foreseeable future.
(08-23-2022, 02:09 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: [ -> ]I see nearly half the roster for Pburg are seniors. So is this year possibly a one hit wonder for them or will they be relevant years to come? How does the underclass man and middle school rosters look for Pburg? I remember back from 2000 to 2010 them and Belfry were the 2 best teams in the region. That was right before Johnson Central became a football power.

Prestonsburg loses the majority of their starters on both sides of the ball after this year, and overall they will be losing half of their team. I think I counted 30 kids the other night who were dressed out, and with a big senior class, it looks like Brewer will be in another rebuilding mode for the next couple of years. They have some talent in the Freshman and Sophomore classes, but as I said earlier, they just don't have the numbers to be competitive against elite teams in 2A. I don't understand why all of a sudden Prestonsburg is having trouble getting kids out. I remember not too long ago it was unheard of for Prestonsburg to have under 45 or 50 kids.
Alum nailed it. The middle school team has a lot of talent. This senior class should have a great year and need to do so to keep the community engaged. When the whole town is there on Friday night, it’s a tough place to play at.

If this senior class has a winning year, it’ll inspire others to stick around and see if they can’t build off of this.
(08-23-2022, 02:59 PM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: [ -> ]

Prestonsburg loses the majority of their starters on both sides of the ball after this year, and overall they will be losing half of their team. I think I counted 30 kids the other night who were dressed out, and with a big senior class, it looks like Brewer will be in another rebuilding mode for the next couple of years. They have some talent in the Freshman and Sophomore classes, but as I said earlier, they just don't have the numbers to be competitive against elite teams in 2A. I don't understand why all of a sudden Prestonsburg is having trouble getting kids out. I remember not too long ago it was unheard of for Prestonsburg to have under 45 or 50 kids.

A successful soccer program at a small school like Prestonsburg is going to hurt football numbers. I wish the two seasons weren’t at the same time. The football program could use some of the speed and athleticism on the soccer team.
Pages: 1 2