Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Covington Catholic @ Pikeville 8/27
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Covington Catholic will travel to Pikeville this Saturday.

Covington Catholic (0-1)
Aug 19, 22 Elder (Cincinnati), OH home (L) 21 - 42

Pikeville (0-1)
Aug 19, 22 Corbin away (L) 19 - 24 Cumberland Falls Pigskin Classic

Thoughts?
When was the last time Pikeville started the season 0-2?? I’ll take CovCath in this one
Pikeville should win this game at home. This is not one of Elder's better teams and they could have beaten Covington Catholic much, much worse than they did.  The Colonels were only able to score after Elder began making mass substitutions after the jumping out to a 35-0 lead.
I am going with the Pikeville Panthers but they better get some things cleaned up or they will be 0-2
ill take pikeville if and only if boykin is the QB1 and they dont run the 2QB
(08-21-2022, 01:04 PM)I mr yellow jacket Wrote: [ -> ]ill take pikeville if and only if boykin is the QB1 and they dont run the 2QB
Pikeville is loaded at every position but QB is a major downgrade from last season. I still think Pikeville wins a state championship this year but they lose this game. 

Cov Cath 34
     Pikeville 28
(08-21-2022, 01:43 PM)Running wild 14 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-21-2022, 01:04 PM)I mr yellow jacket Wrote: [ -> ]ill take pikeville if and only if boykin is the QB1 and they dont run the 2QB
Pikeville is loaded at every position but QB is a major downgrade from last season. I still think Pikeville wins a state championship this year but they lose this game. 

Cov Cath 34
     Pikeville 28

i agree they are but boykins is the better QB imo they moved the ball on corbin only when he was in the game
Everyone saying Pikeville QB is a down grade. If you are talking as a pure passer, 100%. But from an atheletic standpoint, it improved. Boykins is a stud. Mac is just figuring out what he wants to do right now against, pound for pound, the toughest schedule in the state. Imo, likely waiting for one of them to take control feom a leadership standpoint. By week 4 or 5, Boykins will be that guy and Pikeville will go on a run. They are still the tram to beat in 1A.
Mac also has Birchfield to lean on while he figures it out
Pikeville 34
Cov Cath 28
I'll take The Panthers in this one. Should have their shit together by PCB kickoff. I think they win this one by having Boykins as QB 1. Nothing at all Nothing at all negative toward Duty, but Pikeville did seem to move the ball better against Corbin when Boykins was behind center.

PIKEVILLE - 32
Cov. Cath  - 21
Colonels 28-14
(08-21-2022, 11:15 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]When was the last time Pikeville started the season 0-2?? I’ll take CovCath in this one

Possibly 1997 but I'm not sure.

I believe they had a losing record in 1997, probably the only one in several decades.

As for the game geez this is another tough one.  I know this isn't one of CovCath's best teams but it's still CovCath.

It's hard for me to pick them losing to a 1A, 2A, or 3A school almost 99% of the time though I'm sure Beechwood plays them tough some seasons and maybe even beats them occasionally.

Since the Panthers are still figuring out the QB situation I will take CovCath 28-21, but I really hope I'm wrong because I would love too see the Panthers take down a 5A NKY powerhouse program.
Pikeville last started 0-2 in 2009 with losses to Holy Cross (Cov) & Boyle County. They would win their 3rd game vs. Phelps.
Pikeville will bounce back. Corbin loss will sting enough to make the strides this week in work to win game two.

Pikeville to win.

17-13
I do believe Pikeville is going to have to score some points because defensively Pikeville did not play up to their potential especially on the defense. Coming into this year I for one thought defense was Pikeville’s strong point. Lot of things to clean up but this coaching staff will make that happen. Game 2 for these Panthers it’s up to you guys if you want to be 1-1 or 0-2. Like I have said before do your job and no plays off and good things happen. But as always GO PANTHERS!!!
Cov cath 34-14
It sounds like pikeville fans are giving up on their team,which blows me away.They never quit,played their hearts out,and as far as the 2 qb controversy I liked both Boykins I think was his name only got loose in the 2nd half after Corbin pulled the reins back,not playing West or Bolton at Nosetackle.Its not an insult to get beat by Corbin at Corbin.They were more physical,deeper and faster than Pikeville in that game which will not be the case in 99 percent of Pikevilles games.
It doesnt matter win or lose. Pikeville is playing a Beechwood or NCC in their heyday schedule. In 2006 NCC played a nightmare schedule. Went 5-5 in the regular season. Those 5 losses though, prepared them for the championship game vs Danville. When they were down 3 scores at the half. Only to come back and win 37-34 in a thriller. Pikeville will be fine.
CovCath in a tight one.
Well I thought I would check in on my buddy Jett. How’s he doing? It was pretty much doom and gloom after Friday night for him. Have any of you Pikeville fans seen him around town?? I’m worried about him
(08-22-2022, 04:59 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: [ -> ]Well I thought I would check in on my buddy Jett. How’s he doing? It was pretty much doom and gloom after Friday night for him. Have any of you Pikeville fans seen him around town?? I’m worried about him
If your suggesting Jet is laying low or hiding after the loss, think again. He’s like a stealth bomber, he’s there when you least expect him and think otherwise.
Cov Cath has a huge advantage numbers wise. I’m sure they dress over a hundred and few if any play both ways or special teams. Pikeville can win this game but must control it clockwise.
Not quite sure where the sismay is from Pikeville fans. Corbin is a 4A contender this year and Pikeville nearly pulled off the win. Now, I will say that looking at the statline the fact that Birchfield only managed 47 yards on 12 carries is a bit of a suprise. Especially with what Pikeville returned with the twins and the other Hawg.

That being said, its really hard for me to pass judgement on a top 1A school vs a top 5A school. In actuality, a top 10-5 5A school should beat a top 5 1A school. Just based off numbers alone.

Thats why I am not going to pass judgement on Pikevilles first 2 games. Now, if they go to Paintsville and lay an egg, it will have my attention. Until then, Pikeville is the team to beat. Even if they are 0-2 going into that game.
I can't speak for all Pikeville fans but I'm not down on this Pikeville team, I still expect them to win a state championship and still think the only 2 class A teams that have a realistic chance to beat them is Hazard and Raceland. I will feel that way if they were to start the season 0-5 like Belfry did last season. I realize this schedule is brutal but will definitely have them ready once the playoffs start, I love the schedule personally.

My only concern is the 2 QB system, I think they need to pick one and go with him. I have my prefence because Boykins is electric with the ball in his hands, if not him I would still like to play 1 QB and would still like Pikeville's chances of a repeat because Duty is a very talented young QB in his own right. Mac is one of the best coaches in Kentucky, he will have them ready.
Cov cath by eleventy billion
Hahahahaha….
After week 1 there’s only one certainty…
Rams and Bulldogs on a collision course for a state championship
(08-22-2022, 11:26 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: [ -> ]Cov cath by eleventy billion

At least.
Be interested to see what Pikeville does at qb this game? Do they continue the 2 qb system or let one of them have control of the offense? Boykins has the legs and Duty has the arm. Boykins was very electric in Pike Centrals run heavy offense paired with Matt Anderson. Their problem was they gave up 50 points a game. I think Boykins is the best option right now and can throw in some short intermediate passes to Scott and Hensley with him. Birchfield was a great receiver too before moving him to rb. Surprised Wright hasn’t gotten more carries. He is a tough physical runner who would help the Pikeville offense.
Would love to see Pikeville win but the boys from up North don’t care that Pikeville is the king of eastern Ky. I will take Cov Cath. CC - 35 Pikeville 21
Pages: 1 2 3 4