Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Midwest Charity Classic Fiasco
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
KHSAA is Catching a lot of heat and best as I can figure they're only following a decision and rule the schools voted overwhelmingly in favor of.  Am I wrong, if so whose actually at fault here.  Someone break this down for someone who doesn't understand.
I've been "retired" for a while but I still lurk. This one will bring me out for a moment.

Last year, an amendment was proposed that would remove restrictions on pre-season basketball activities. Member schools voted and shot it down.
This year, a couple of players wanted to play in a charity basketball game that would fall under "pre-season basketball activities" and requested a waiver.
KHSAA did not grant the waiver and issued the statement below.

Quote:Association representatives are aware of social media
discussions around a potential disaster recovery
fundraising effort scheduled for an FPS high school.
As a reminder, Commissioner Tackett and the Board
proposed an amendment at the 2021 Annual
Meeting of the member schools that would have
removed preseason restrictions in basketball under
Bylaw 9. The membership resoundingly defeated
the measure (50 yes, 145 no) as shown in the link
below. For this reason, it is clear that the wish of the
membership is to have that rule enforced and
accordingly, no waivers will be given.
https://khsaa.org/annualmeeting/20212022...posals.pdf

That's the explanation of what happened in professional terms.

Here is what happened as I see it (purely speculatory and only fit for a sports forum)...

God-king Julian Tackett's amendment was shot down last year and it damaged his fragile ego.
We had a historic national disaster in Eastern Kentucky the likes of which no one could have ever predicted when that amendment was shot down (and very little of that proposed amendment was penned with any charity in mind).
Upon seeing an opportunity to play basketball and help out EKY, a couple of kids asked for waivers to play in a charity game.
Tackett, still butthurt from the member schools not voting in favor of his amendment, said "no" and tried to spin it so it looks like the schools are the problem here.
They'll bring this amendment back up for a vote at the next opportunity and he'll act like we need to pass it to make sure kids can take part in charity events.
(08-18-2022, 11:34 PM)zaga_fan Wrote: [ -> ]I've been "retired" for a while but I still lurk. This one will bring me out for a moment.

Last year, an amendment was proposed that would remove restrictions on pre-season basketball activities. Member schools voted and shot it down.
This year, a couple of players wanted to play in a charity basketball game that would fall under "pre-season basketball activities" and requested a waiver.
KHSAA did not grant the waiver and issued the statement below.

Quote:Association representatives are aware of social media
discussions around a potential disaster recovery
fundraising effort scheduled for an FPS high school.
As a reminder, Commissioner Tackett and the Board
proposed an amendment at the 2021 Annual
Meeting of the member schools that would have
removed preseason restrictions in basketball under
Bylaw 9. The membership resoundingly defeated
the measure (50 yes, 145 no) as shown in the link
below. For this reason, it is clear that the wish of the
membership is to have that rule enforced and
accordingly, no waivers will be given.
https://khsaa.org/annualmeeting/20212022...posals.pdf

That's the explanation of what happened in professional terms.

Here is what happened as I see it (purely speculatory and only fit for a sports forum)...

God-king Julian Tackett's amendment was shot down last year and it damaged his fragile ego.
We had a historic national disaster in Eastern Kentucky the likes of which no one could have ever predicted when that amendment was shot down (and very little of that proposed amendment was penned with any charity in mind).
Upon seeing an opportunity to play basketball and help out EKY, a couple of kids asked for waivers to play in a charity game.
Tackett, still butthurt from the member schools not voting in favor of his amendment, said "no" and tried to spin it so it looks like the schools are the problem here.
They'll bring this amendment back up for a vote at the next opportunity and he'll act like we need to pass it to make sure kids can take part in charity events.

Excellent Clarification, thank you.
KHSAA being ridiculed for following rules. Tough crowd sometimes.
(08-19-2022, 09:14 AM)jamesclay Wrote: [ -> ]KHSAA being ridiculed for following rules. Tough crowd sometimes.

I would argue they are more so being ridiculed for a lack of empathy after their decision and tone-deaf response.
The rules in place would have allowed them to grant a waiver for this event.
It's a shame our HS kids cannot play in leagues. This really hurts keeping players in State!
This is not on KHSAA at all. KHSAA job is to enforce the rules that the membership agrees too. Dont like the rules change them.

BTW this was just an attempt to showcase one player under the cover of "Fundraiser".
KhSAa DiD nOtHiNG wRonG
This is the equivalent of calling your boss and saying your mom died and they tell you that you'll be fired if you don't get there on time.
(08-20-2022, 02:49 PM)plantmanky Wrote: [ -> ]This is not on KHSAA at all.  KHSAA job is to enforce the rules that the membership agrees too.  Dont like the rules change them.

BTW this was just an attempt to showcase one player under the cover of "Fundraiser".

Yes the focus of this event had nothing to do with eastern Kentucky.
Wasn't there a game recently in Eastern Kentucky to raise money when the police were shot in Floyd County. Didn't it consisted of high school kids and was played at Wesley Christian. What's the difference?
KHSAA DONT FOLLOW NO RULES OR BY LAWS
It seems that in the rules that are in place, there is a gray area. If that is the case, then play within the gray and give the money to the area that could have helped in some way to those residents.

If this were to of been a charity game, then, of course, it is going to showcase any talent regardless if the player comes from NL or any other school. I mean, that is what people would have paid their money to see. If the players want to play and parents are good with it, it serves its purpose. But not act as though the only reason that they wanted to play was to showcase a particular player. The truth is that player has shined on every stage he has been on. Kentucky people would have paid any money to watch a future Cat
I’ve always been a fan of follow all rules, or none of them. DONT pick and chose. But with that said, KHsaa does it all the time.