Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Floyd County Central?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been hearing a rumor going around that South Floyd, Allen Central, and Betsy Layne. I was just wondering if this were true and if so when the school is planned to open.
I would highly doubt that South Floyd would be involved in another consolidation.
I would highly doubt that this would ever happen. Floyd County is way too big for this too happen, notice all the other counties that have one public high school, they are small counties. If you where to travel from Prestonsburg to Wheelwright it would take 45 minutes, and from the Magoffin County line to the Pike County line would take 35-45 minutes. Thats just too much time for kids to travel to just goto school. Even if it was put in a central location students would still have to travel for over 15-20 minutes. And with the way the gas prices have been, its not likley for this to happen. Its just too much trouble to go through, and if it were to ever happen it wouldn't be within the next 10-15 years.
There are discussions of this. There is even a planning committee that has been discussing this very topic for the last 3 years. Believe me, it's the sad but true tale of the future of Floyd County Schools. There are some missing pieces that have to fall in place though: A road conecting Minnie to Harold from the Minnie Ballpark, which has money appropriated to it by the state legislature and I believe is in the process of happening. Also, look for Prestonsburg to become a city school as it was before, because the town will not want to lose it's school and send them to Minnie plan and simple. The citizens of Prestonsburg would want to opt out - that's my opinion purely. The new school can be built at Minnie or on the new 680 and be centrally located.

I personally think it's a huge mistake to consolidate the schools. Leave it the way it is, keep Prestonsburg in the public system becaues the rest of the county needs their numbers for financial help.

I can remember when South Floyd was built and someone saying it was an over-grown middle school and that the High School wouldn't be there more than 20 years.
What about creating a North and South Floyd. By doing this you could keep P-burg while increasing its district size and create a new school that was planned. You could also still call North Floyd Prestonsburg and this may be a little more do-able in my opinion. If the plan goes as it is headed P-burg will in my opinion have a little bit of a bump in the road. But consolidations aren't bad. They allow a county that doesn't have a lot of money to better use is by paying less school adminastrators.
Yeah, I just heard from another student that they had plans drew up in the Minnie area for a school. I don't like the idea but its not my decision.
launchpad4 Wrote:What about creating a North and South Floyd. By doing this you could keep P-burg while increasing its district size and create a new school that was planned. You could also still call North Floyd Prestonsburg and this may be a little more do-able in my opinion. If the plan goes as it is headed P-burg will in my opinion have a little bit of a bump in the road. But consolidations aren't bad. They allow a county that doesn't have a lot of money to better use is by paying less school adminastrators.

Why should Prestonsburg get a new school when they just remodeled the old building a few years back? Parents fought to keep the school at its present location before the board agreed to just remodel the place didn't they? I think so, but I'm not for sure?

Anyway, building two new schools in the county is not fesible. FC isn't the US Gov. Smile
This could actually happen and Prestonsburg would go independent. It has already been voted on by the city. In the last mayor election it was also in the ballot. Its something the city wants to do, they just have to save the money to buy the building, busses etc..

And JJ I don't think Prestonsburg has ever been a city school.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Why should Prestonsburg get a new school when they just remodeled the old building a few years back? Parents fought to keep the school at its present location before the board agreed to just remodel the place didn't they? I think so, but I'm not for sure?

Anyway, building two new schools in the county is not fesible. FC isn't the US Gov. Smile

You could expand P-burg as the north school and build a school in the south around Harold
I don't see Prestonsburg ever consolidating.
BC75 Wrote:And JJ I don't think Prestonsburg has ever been a city school.

Prestonsburg was a city school, but changed to public in the late 1940's. I'm not sure on the exact date or decade, but I'm positive that they were a city school at one time. :thumpsup:
I have heard about this a couple of years ago. I would never underestimate the power of power. Hooking everyone together will create a tremendous power base and bring many good teachers & administrators back to Floyd County. (not saying anything bad about the current folks of course, but many have moved over the years and this could be the tie to bind)

I could easily see P-burg going independent and a North & South Floyd. Would I like it, no.

I love the Allen Central's & Betsy Layne's... I even liked McDowell & Wheelright. Do I think South Floyd reminds me of a middle school? Yes, and I believe I could see that new road thing being the key to new & improved "South Floyd" High School.