Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Is Bye Week Going into the Playoffs Good or Bad?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know it can help some people get healty but do you think it can affect us negatively?? Look what happened to Colorado in the World Series after going 21-1 in previous 22 games...I kinda like a late season bye but not sure I like the one right before the playoffs begin...
I don't like a bye right before the season but I do like playing a "cupcake" team right before the 1st round. Keep your starters in the groove of playing while at the same time giving them rest and keeping them healthy and letting the underclassmen play.
Meaty Wrote:I don't like a bye right before the season but I do like playing a "cupcake" team right before the 1st round. Keep your starters in the groove of playing while at the same time giving them rest and keeping them healthy and letting the underclassmen play.

I agree.
Funny you should start this thread 58. I have been thinking about that for several days. Sure it will help heal some of the boys but will they become rusty in that week off?
I would say in this case it can do nothing but help. Now if we were the #2 seed then things would be a little different.
Well even though we are on a off week we are still practicing or we should be. I know we did last year and I don't see any difference between last year and this year except we had a bye in the first week.
I like the Idea in the situation that Russell is in right now. Now that may change next year if everyone is healthy and Russell is the number two seed.
At this point in Russell's case I think it helps. Time to heal physically and mentally. A good week of practice to tune things up and then a week to prepare for the first round opponent of the second season.

It is a different situation than baseball. Rythem and timing in a swing is something that you can lose with time off. You only play once a week in football anyway.
Ashland has a bye week this week and HAD they been playoff bound I don't think that it would've have been beneficial a bye week usually kills momentum for ashland teams and I know it's hard to get back in the groove after an easy week.
TOMCAT06 Wrote:Ashland has a bye week this week and HAD they been playoff bound I don't think that it would've have been beneficial a bye week usually kills momentum for ashland teams and I know it's hard to get back in the groove after an easy week.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy. But killing the momentum that Ashland was having would have been a good idea.
Im not a fan of bye weeks at all..yeah, maybe squeezing one in between your two easiest games mid season or something, but going into the playoffs? No way. I think it ruins the rhythm the team is in. A week off isnt a good idea IMO..rested players become rusted players..
Jeepman Wrote:I'm not trying to be a wise guy. But killing the momentum that Ashland was having would have been a good idea.

Yeh it would've this season haha I was just saying if the season had been better than it was and the tomcats made the playoffs it was all hypethetical.
sometimes its good sometimes its bad.
Codeman Wrote:sometimes its good sometimes its bad.
Care to expand on this thought?
Personally, I like a bye week about 3/4 of the way through the season. That way the players have a 2 or 3 games to begin clicking on all cylinders before the playoffs
Here at Pikeville I think its a good idea. These kids have a chance to get recharge the batteries a little bit. When youre a 1a school with a 7-8 players going both ways it really helps to get the players rested and let any nagging injuries heal up before the REAL season starts.
It's good if you're losing or have some injured players. It's bad if you're winning and don't want any disruptions.
ill have to say a bye is good, but a game against an easy team would be better
This is a good thing for Russell this year. Needed some time for injuries to heal.
yea injury time is crucial in the playoffs
Bad- breaks routine.
Being a #1 seed with a week of to rest is good.. being a #4 seed with a week off would appear to be detrimental.
i think its good as long as you practice extra during the bye week
BHSdude91 Wrote:i think its good as long as you practice extra during the bye week

YES!!!. ER took it easy and focused on conditioning (I don't think conditioning is necessary after about week 6 or 7, you are going to maintain what you have through rigorous practice) and got humiliated by South Floyd the last week. THey had one offensive practice and one defensive practice in 2 weeks.