Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2008 Harlan County Bears Football to compete in Class 3A
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
KHSAA has ruled on this matter and Harlan County will play the 3A Cawood schedule in 2008 before re-alignment in 2009.

In 2009 Harlan County will compete in Class 5A.

Sounds like another Mercer Co to me.

Belfry, Russell, Breathitt, Sheldon Clark and the rest of the Eastern Ky 3A powerhouses have another Giant to knock off before they can win a state title in 2008.
We discussed this in another thread earlier this month...

http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...ght=Harlan
That thread was discussed as a rumor. But according to Brandon Hensley at WYMT the rumors have been put to rest and the decision has been made.

So I thought it would be appropriate to start a new thread on this new ruling.
According to a press release from the KHSAA, the Harlan County Black Bears will play the 2008 season as a Class 3A school. The move was necessitated by the fact that the school will open in the middle of a two-year contract cycle. According to the press release, the alternative would have been for HCHS to compete as a non-district school for a year, since it would have been virtually impossible for the school's new 5A or 6A district opponents to find a spot in the schedule. The move is not without precedent. Over the past 25 years, Scott County, Madison Southern and, most recently, Mercer County were permitted to play in a lower class than their first-year numbers would indicate. Harlan County will play Cawood's schedule - minus the Trojans' games against Cumberland and Evarts, obviously. That means the Black Bears will still have to fill two of three open weekends: Week 2, Week 6 and Week 10. In Week 2, there's an opening in the Fort Harrod Bowl; in Week 6, Bell County has an opening; and in Week 10, Pike Central is available.

http://www.harlandaily.com/articles/2007...ts9178.txt
I think this is aweful. The KHSAA should know better than to let a school play down. This isn't fair to the kids in 3A. What should have happened is that Harlen Co. play as an independent next year. This would be in my opinion the best thing. Not a repeat of Mercer.
Good!!! I hope they beat the dog out of Breathitt.....Yep, I'm still bitter...lol
Harlan County may very well be another Mercer County, but I still think that Breathitt, Russell, and Belfry, will still be the teams to beat in 3A.
blackcat_student Wrote:Harlan County may very well be another Mercer County, but I still think that Breathitt, Russell, and Belfry, will still be the teams to beat in 3A.

You may be right but it doesn't make it any less fair to everyone else. The question should be how do you tell your players they got kept or beat out of the playoffs by a team that is
5A. The KHSAA has many flaws this is just a blatant one.
Leave it up to the KHSAA to make a fair rule?lol they would not no what a fair rule was if it hit them in the face with it,Thats not fair to the other #A teams in The state.Wish there was something that someone could do about this,The return of Mercer II,,,,KHSAA <<<< Is a joke
If your good enough then it shouldn't matter. If belfry and and breathitt are as good as they are suppose to be then they will beat harlan co. It doesnt matter how many numbers you have it only matters on the 11 that are on the field and the coaching staff behind them. Smaller schools beat bigger schools all the time it's just an excuse for people to make if they get beat by a school thats a bigger. Let it go mercer was a great team and really they only added 5 people to their roster from harrodsburg that didnt play and even if they didnt combine those 5 players were going to transfer any way. So thats one of the reasons why they did combine because they were losing all of their athletes to mercer ne way.
jb05 Wrote:If your good enough then it shouldn't matter. If belfry and and breathitt are as good as they are suppose to be then they will beat harlan co. It doesnt matter how many numbers you have it only matters on the 11 that are on the field and the coaching staff behind them. Smaller schools beat bigger schools all the time it's just an excuse for people to make if they get beat by a school thats a bigger. Let it go mercer was a great team and really they only added 5 people to their roster from harrodsburg that didnt play and even if they didnt combine those 5 players were going to transfer any way. So thats one of the reasons why they did combine because they were losing all of their athletes to mercer ne way.

That's dumb. You have a pool of about 700 boys were as others have a pool of 300. It is mathmatically more likely that the school with 700 boys will be able to gather more talented players than those of 300. I know that not everyone on here is a college graduate, but I thought that people at least had common sense. And if mercer was a great team why are they average this year. KHSAA is aweful, they have let politics and agendas gain control over what should be a non-biased governing body.
Booya Wrote:That's dumb. You have a pool of about 700 boys were as others have a pool of 300. It is mathmatically more likely that the school with 700 boys will be able to gather more talented players than those of 300. I know that not everyone on here is a college graduate, but I thought that people at least had common sense. And if mercer was a great team why are they average this year. KHSAA is aweful, they have let politics and agendas gain control over what should be a non-biased governing body.

I agree with you 100%.
DevilsWin Wrote:KHSAA has ruled on this matter and Harlan County will play the 3A Cawood schedule in 2008 before re-alignment in 2009.

In 2009 Harlan County will compete in Class 5A.

Sounds like another Mercer Co to me.

Belfry, Russell, Breathitt, Sheldon Clark and the rest of the Eastern Ky 3A powerhouses have another Giant to knock off before they can win a state title in 2008.

I think you all need to win at least 1 game as a school before you consider yourself a giant. I wouldn't call these powerhouses out until you have distinguished yourself as a legitimate power.
Lincoln Co. West Virginia consolidated 3 years ago and now is a powerhouse team that has not won a game in what... 3 years. yea they are not doing very well. So i would agree to become a powerhouse you have to win..... Does not mean that it is fair for them to be able to play down. yes i am still upset over the State Game.
blitz43 Wrote:Good!!! I hope they beat the dog out of Breathitt.....Yep, I'm still bitter...lol

They are not going to beat Breathitt. Breathitt is loaded with young talent. So they need not think anything like that. The East is too powerful, if they want to make it in the playoffs they should try the West. Before everyone starts mouthing, go to KHSAA.org and see who has won the most championships in the last 10 or so years from A to 4a. It is the East.
AGREED oldtimer.. WE ROCK!!!
jb05 Wrote:If your good enough then it shouldn't matter. If belfry and and breathitt are as good as they are suppose to be then they will beat harlan co. It doesnt matter how many numbers you have it only matters on the 11 that are on the field and the coaching staff behind them. Smaller schools beat bigger schools all the time it's just an excuse for people to make if they get beat by a school thats a bigger. Let it go mercer was a great team and really they only added 5 people to their roster from harrodsburg that didnt play and even if they didnt combine those 5 players were going to transfer any way. So thats one of the reasons why they did combine because they were losing all of their athletes to mercer ne way.

So they only had 4 players on there team from harlan co, then they took 3 school to make one team, cause is was hardendburg that they conbinded with, and on the D there was 6 players from Hardenburg and on the O there was 5 players from there, hmmm and i know cause i was a coach from russell,
^^^Hardenburg?:wtf1:
KHSAA = BCS

They are both equally ignorant. Why put other teams in a situation like this? They are going to be loaded in that class.
DevilsWin Wrote:^^^Hardenburg?:wtf1:

He is talking about who Mercer combined with right? or am i missing that whole pic there?lol I could be i have been up for 3 days now.
Do you mean Harrodsburg?
blitz43 Wrote:Good!!! I hope they beat the dog out of Breathitt.....Yep, I'm still bitter...lol

Blitz I know that you are angry because we are better and we killed your team, but all the wishing in the world can't fill the void of your team beating Breathitt. Sorry to burst your bubble but with a young team this year, we will only be better next year. And I believe we play Powell at home, so get ready to hear the cannon some more.
DevilsWin Wrote:Do you mean Harrodsburg?

that would be them and i live only 45 mins from them now grrrrrrrrr but they getting showed how it feels to play in the own Class now lol
what schools are combining?
and what divisions were they?
just moving this back to the front page
Kinda sounds unfair but is just the way it is. Wish them the best of luck! I really do think it will take this team a couple of years to get rolling and don't look for them to jump out and have a year like LCC is having so soon! But you never know, I wish Harlan County the best of Luck! 3 nice schools that has alot of memories and history behind them! Good Luck in '08!
breathitt-neck Wrote:Blitz I know that you are angry because we are better and we killed your team, but all the wishing in the world can't fill the void of your team beating Breathitt. Sorry to burst your bubble but with a young team this year, we will only be better next year. And I believe we play Powell at home, so get ready to hear the cannon some more.
The cannon won't fire that much.....................................
the barrel will be melted after 2 qurters.
Mercer senario yes, but Mercer was loaded before they got some help from Harrodsburg.
Breathitt will be alot better, Estill will be loaded, HCC could possibly finish 3rd.
HCC playing in this district spells terrible news for teams like Powell for next season.
Rest assured Flemming will be 100% better, They are never as bad as they were this year.
While I personally think this stinks and is unfair,I know if it comes down to it The Belfry Boys will say "Bring it on".These boys would relish the challenge.

then why not let them play in 1A which 2 of their schools were in 1A, so that district is gonna be messed up, if class size doesnt matter, or why even have classes to begin with?
Pages: 1 2