Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Region Realignment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I really didn’t know where to put this thread as it pertains to all sports and there might be one similar somewhere else but since it got momentum under girls basketball I put it here.

What are everyone’s thoughts on a realignment for all regions and where do you think teams should go?
Really doesn’t matter what anyone thinks until several people go to Lexington and voice their views to KHSAA. Talking on this message board won’t get it done.
(06-20-2022, 07:06 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Really doesn’t matter what anyone thinks until several people go to Lexington and voice their views to KHSAA.  Talking on this message board won’t get it done.
You are correct but it’s still good to see what everyone’s opinions would be and if a lot of it makes sense then maybe this thread is a start.

Everything begins with a conversation so why not on here? 

Examples: Why is Estill in the 14th? Why is Jenkins in the 15th yet Letcher County Central in the 14th? Same county. Would Clay County, OBI, Red Bird and Leslie County make a good district in realignment?
You are absolutely right. It is excellent conversation. But until someone grows a pair and stands up to the KHSAA and these piti party coaching organizations that won’t seed and crap like that, it won’t do much good. Give everyone a trophy in the 14th region. Before you know it they won’t give Ds and Fs on report cards there.
a couple more changes in seats this will happen sooner than later 13th 14th and 15-16th
Why shouldn’t Estill Co be in the 14th?? They border longtime 14th region member Powell Co to the south. I’d like to see Jackson Co also added to the 14th and maybe OBI. Move Knott Central, Cordia and June Buchanan to the 15th. Knott Co is geographically located perfectly for a 15th region schedule.
(06-20-2022, 10:15 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]Why shouldn’t Estill Co be in the 14th?? They border longtime 14th region member Powell Co to the south. I’d like to see Jackson Co also added to the 14th and maybe OBI. Move Knott Central,  Cordia and June Buchanan to the 15th. Knott Co is geographically located perfectly for a 15th region schedule.
Didn’t say shouldn’t, asked why which you answered. Same as why is Jenkins in 15th and not Letcher? Didn’t say one shouldn’t be, just wandering why 2 teams in same county are in 2 different regions.
I've always thought Rockcastle & Leslie County belongs in the 13th with the two Harlan Schools Joining the 14th, in a few years Laurel County will most likely add another high school, then a reshuffle will be necessary.
(06-20-2022, 10:51 PM)River Cats Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-20-2022, 10:15 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]Why shouldn’t Estill Co be in the 14th?? They border longtime 14th region member Powell Co to the south. I’d like to see Jackson Co also added to the 14th and maybe OBI. Move Knott Central,  Cordia and June Buchanan to the 15th. Knott Co is geographically located perfectly for a 15th region schedule.
Didn’t say shouldn’t, asked why which you answered. Same as why is Jenkins in 15th and not Letcher? Didn’t say one shouldn’t be, just wandering why 2 teams in same county are in 2 different regions.
Even crazier is why is North Laurel and South Laurel in different districts when they are located in the same city and only about 4 miles apart??
(06-21-2022, 12:12 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-20-2022, 10:51 PM)River Cats Wrote: [ -> ]
Even crazier is why is North Laurel and South Laurel in different districts when they are located in the same city and only about 4 miles apart??
Exactly! Time for district and region realignments. As someone else said, “it’s way past time”. 16 years?
There have been a lot of consolidated and new schools in that 16 years too. I understand not doing it every 5 years or so like football but 16 years is like 2-3 generations. It’s time.
It’s a big job but maybe a BGPer could do a realignment for every region to see what it would look like. Take into consideration that the two Carter’s are consolidating in a couple years so that’s going to affect the 16th and Hoptown and Christian County are doing the same in the 2nd.
I nominate one of our media members for the task. I know there’s several newspaper and other media outlet members on this site.
(06-22-2022, 08:44 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]It’s a big job but maybe a BGPer could do a realignment for every region to see what it would look like. Take into consideration that the two Carter’s are consolidating in a couple years so that’s going to affect the 16th and Hoptown and Christian County are doing the same in the 2nd.
I nominate one of our media members for the task. I know there’s several newspaper and other media outlet members on this site.

I'd LOVE that job
No way to do it one region at a time though. One region ties into another. I don't think it could work unless you start in Region 1 and head east.
(06-22-2022, 10:47 PM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-22-2022, 08:44 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]It’s a big job but maybe a BGPer could do a realignment for every region to see what it would look like. Take into consideration that the two Carter’s are consolidating in a couple years so that’s going to affect the 16th and Hoptown and Christian County are doing the same in the 2nd.

I'd LOVE that job
No way to do it one region at a time though. One region ties into another. I don't think it could work unless you start in Region 1 and head east.
I agree. Start at region 1 and move eastward and see how it develops.
Jenkins requested to be moved to 15th .. which makes more logistical sense..  What’s happened is the more urban areas (regions) are continuing to grow and add schools while the rural areas close schools and enrollments decline so basically the more rural Basketball regions are going to continue to spread out in order to keep similar numbers of teams in each region. Estill borders 2 14th region schools, 1 11thregion school, 1 10th region school, and 1 13th regio   school.. looks like Estill is where they should be
(06-23-2022, 10:28 AM)Loaded Goat Wrote: [ -> ]
Jenkins requested to be moved to 15th .. which makes more logistical sense..  What’s happened is the more urban areas (regions) are continuing to grow and add schools while the rural areas close schools and enrollments decline so basically the more rural Basketball regions are going to continue to spread out in order to keep similar numbers of teams in each region. Estill borders 2 14th region schools, 1 11thregion school, 1 10th region school, and 1 13th regio   school.. looks like Estill is where they should be
I agree.
I wouldn’t mind if they slid Jackson County into the 14th. They border three 14th region counties: Owsley, Lee and Estill. They would be a could fit for the 14th. Some of the schools in the southern and western sections o the 14th could be shifted to the 15th and maybe a few 15th schools to the 16th. Clay County and OBI would also work well in the 14th. Move so a few 12th region schools into the 13th.
I say have a Super Regional and do away with the District Tournaments. Complete Waste of Time.
I know Kentucky has a tradition but maybe it’s time to seriously consider classing all sports like other states. If anything class everything except basketball.
The All "A" Classic ended any need, if there ever was one, to classify basketball
You can win an All A title and still compete for the statewide title - best of both worlds.
(06-23-2022, 11:35 PM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]The All "A" Classic ended any need, if there ever was one, to classify basketball
You can win an All A title and still compete for the statewide title - best of both worlds.
Yep, the All A stifled what little push there was for classification and I think that’s a good thing.
Class it give some teams a chance. Everyone can’t compete with Sacred Heart, Trinity (boys), GRC, and Pikeville Prep (all sports) Have 3 or 4 champs.
Just a reshuffling that I came up with for discussion (nothing to be taken too seriously, lol) for three of the four mountain regions. But like HCE said in an earlier post, if realignment is done again, which eventually it will be, it would have to start from the 1st region and rework it from west to east.

Mine is just one that felt might work well for the mountains. In the 14th Knott and Letcher counties are close to many of 15th region schools with all the new road systems. I kept Cordia in the 14th even with it being in Knott County because of the school’s close proximity to Hazard. I moved Jackson County to the 14th because it borders three 14th region counties, Owsley, Estill and Lee. Clay County and OBI would be a good fit too for the 14th. I kept Red Bird, located in Clay County, in the 13th because it’s actually closer to Pineville-Bell Co than it is Manchester.

13th
1 Rockcastle County
2 South Laurel
3 North Laurel
4 Knox Central
5 Barbourville
6 Lynn Camp
7 Pineville
8 Bell County
9 Middlesboro
10 Harlan
11 Harlan County
12 Red Bird
13 Williamsburg
14 Whitley County
15 Corbin
16 McCreary County

14th

1 Leslie County
2 Hazard
3 Perry Central
4 Cordia
5 Breathitt County
6 Buckhorn
7 Jackson City
8 Riverside Christian
9 Wolfe County
10 Powell County
11 Estill County
12 Lee County
13 Owsley County
14 Clay County
15 Oneida Baptist
16 Jackson County

15th

1 Letcher Central
2 Knott Central
3 Jenkins
4 June Buchanan
5 Pikeville
6 Pike Central
7 Belfry
8 East Ridge
9 Shelby Valley
10 Floyd Central
11 Prestonsburg
12 Betsy Layne
13 Johnson Central
14 Paintsville
15 Phelps
16 Martin County

I may have left a few 15th schools out because I did this from memory and not looking at a regional map or any list. I already see that I didn’t list Piarist (if they still belong to the KHSAA.)
(07-01-2022, 12:27 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]Just a reshuffling that I came up with for discussion (nothing to be taken too seriously, lol) for three of the four mountain regions. But like HCE said in an earlier post, if realignment is done again, which eventually it will be, it would have to start from the 1st region and rework it from west to east.

Mine is just one that felt might work well for the mountains. In the 14th Knott and Letcher counties are close to many of 15th region schools with all the new road systems. I kept Cordia in the 14th even with it being in Knott County because of the school’s close proximity to Hazard. I moved Jackson County to the 14th because it borders three 14th region counties, Owsley, Estill and Lee. Clay County and OBI would be a good fit too for the 14th. I kept Red Bird, located in Clay County, in the 13th because it’s actually closer to Pineville-Bell Co than it is Manchester.

13th
1 Rockcastle County
2 South Laurel
3 North Laurel
4 Knox Central
5 Barbourville
6 Lynn Camp
7 Pineville
8 Bell County
9 Middlesboro
10 Harlan
11 Harlan County
12 Red Bird
13 Williamsburg
14 Whitley County
15 Corbin
16 McCreary County

14th

1 Leslie County
2 Hazard
3 Perry Central
4 Cordia
5 Breathitt County
6 Buckhorn
7 Jackson City
8 Riverside Christian
9 Wolfe County
10 Powell County
11 Estill County
12 Lee County
13 Owsley County
14 Clay County
15 Oneida Baptist
16 Jackson County

15th

1 Letcher Central
2 Knott Central
3 Jenkins
4 June Buchanan
5 Pikeville
6 Pike Central
7 Belfry
8 East Ridge
9 Shelby Valley
10 Floyd Central
11 Prestonsburg
12 Betsy Layne
13 Johnson Central
14 Paintsville
15 Phelps
16 Martin County

I may have left a few 15th schools out because I did this from memory and not looking at a regional map or any list. I already see that I didn’t list Piarist (if they still belong to the KHSAA.)

As you said, you can't just pick out one or two regions and think it will work statewide, but this is part of what I was playing around with a few years back:

13th Region
49th — Clay, Jackson, Rockcastle County (47th District), Oneida Baptist
50th — North, South, Whitley County, WIlliamsburg
51st — Corbin, Lynn Camp, Knox Central, Barbourville
52nd — Bell County, Middlesboro, Pineville, Red Bird

14th Region
53rd — Harlan County, Letcher Central, Harlan, Jenkins
54th — Perry Central, Hazard, Leslie County, Buckhorn
55th — Breathitt County, Wolfe County, Jackson, Riverside Christian
56th — Powell County, Estill County, Owsley County, Lee County

15th Region
57th
Johnson Central, Paintsville, Magoffin County, Lawrence County
58th
Prestonsburg, Floyd Central, Knott Central, Cordia, JBS
59th
Betsy Lane, Pikeville, Shelby Valley, East Ridge
60th
Belfry, Phelps, Pike Central, Sheldon Clark
HCS, yours is similar to mine with the exception you have the Harlan County schools of the 13th to the 14th and I have the 13th’s Jackson County, OBI and Clay County.
(07-01-2022, 07:12 PM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2022, 12:27 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]Just a reshuffling that I came up with for discussion (nothing to be taken too seriously, lol) for three of the four mountain regions. But like HCE said in an earlier post, if realignment is done again, which eventually it will be, it would have to start from the 1st region and rework it from west to east.

13th
1 Rockcastle County
2 South Laurel
3 North Laurel
4 Knox Central
5 Barbourville
6 Lynn Camp
7 Pineville
8 Bell County
9 Middlesboro
10 Harlan
11 Harlan County
12 Red Bird
13 Williamsburg
14 Whitley County
15 Corbin
16 McCreary County

14th

1 Leslie County
2 Hazard
3 Perry Central
4 Cordia
5 Breathitt County
6 Buckhorn
7 Jackson City
8 Riverside Christian
9 Wolfe County
10 Powell County
11 Estill County
12 Lee County
13 Owsley County
14 Clay County
15 Oneida Baptist
16 Jackson County

15th

1 Letcher Central
2 Knott Central
3 Jenkins
4 June Buchanan
5 Pikeville
6 Pike Central
7 Belfry
8 East Ridge
9 Shelby Valley
10 Floyd Central
11 Prestonsburg
12 Betsy Layne
13 Johnson Central
14 Paintsville
15 Phelps
16 Martin County

As you said, you can't just pick out one or two regions and think it will work statewide, but this is part of what I was playing around with a few years back:

13th Region
49th — Clay, Jackson, Rockcastle County (47th District), Oneida Baptist
50th — North, South, Whitley County, WIlliamsburg
51st — Corbin, Lynn Camp, Knox Central, Barbourville
52nd — Bell County, Middlesboro, Pineville, Red Bird

14th Region
53rd — Harlan County, Letcher Central, Harlan, Jenkins
54th — Perry Central, Hazard, Leslie County, Buckhorn
55th — Breathitt County, Wolfe County, Jackson, Riverside Christian
56th — Powell County, Estill County, Owsley County, Lee County

15th Region
57th
Johnson Central, Paintsville, Magoffin County, Lawrence County
58th
Prestonsburg, Floyd Central, Knott Central, Cordia, JBS
59th
Betsy Lane, Pikeville, Shelby Valley,  East Ridge
60th
Belfry, Phelps, Pike Central, Sheldon Clark
I like what you did for the 51st district. Its not Knox Central's fault, but I never understood a district with a 4A school and three 1A schools.
Just an opinion but all theses "private" schools should be considered something completely different, perhaps AAU teams, travel teams, something along those lines. They're handpicking their teams and running their regions.
Lawrence county back to the 16th region where they belong.
Ain’t broke, don’t fix it