Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: COACHES FOR SALE.....take one get the others FREE!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I go out to the games every week and sometimes...most of the times end up shaking my head and wondering what the coaching staff is thinking or what game the guys in the box are watching. I say all that to ask this....

Who has the most overrated coaching staff? and are you satisfied with yours?

:kneel:
NOTE: This thread will be closely monitored.
As a Russell fan I must say YES we are very happy with our coaching staff.
Montgomery has 3 former head coachs as assistants. That's what it takes.
Too many teams hire a solid head coach and stick with Farmer Fran as his D coordinator and Joe Blow coaching his secondary. WOW......... a BAD STAFF MAKES A HEAD COACH LOOK BAD. But ultimately the head coach weathers the storm for this.
you can always find some young guy that played college ball just getting into teaching to help out. But if you can get a guy like that, you better get him or rest assured he will end up somewhereelse. You can't hire assistants who don't know football and just run around on the sidelines to no avail.
as a Jenkins fan, watching a team go from winless five years ago (not to mention 4 winless seasons in 6 years before that), hiring in a new staff, Mark Johnson and Kiley Hall have increased the win total every year, led the team to the playoffs last year, and is sitting at 5-4 this year, will beat Ervinton in the finale, and another playoff birth...I'd say everybody in Jenkins is happy with this staff, lol, myself included..these guys are phenomenal..
I have been in and around high school football for 30 years.

I have seen good and bad coaches but one thing that stands out among them all is They ALL have had the best interests of the kids at heart and they all put the kids on the field that they feel like will win. That's right coaches really do WANT to win.
Have they called Every play the way I would??? Not necesarily but neither do the NFL or NCAA guys.
However, with that said, They(the coaches) are at practice everyday and spend many more hours scouting the opponents (both in person and by video) than I or most fans or parents do also.

I learned a long time ago...unless I am investing as much time and energy into a team as the coaches then I am probably best to keep my mouth shut because they are whom I have entrusted my kids to.

Coaching is not an easy job...Until one has walked in those shoes, I have found the best route is to be supportive rather than negative....It will be a better experience for THE KIDS and everyone involved...AND most after all it is about The Kids.
At Pike Central i am very happy with the way coach Mac has been doing things.
Fox Sports,

I think you are right, it is about the kids; "Not the Coaches". When it becomes obvious a coach can not get the job done, do you not think it is the parents and fans responsibility to voice their concerns.

Kids deserve a coach that can give them the best chance to win. Like in any profession, there are a lot of guys that want to be the boss and they want to succeed, but only a few are really good enough to get the job done as the boss or in this case the Head Coach. Lots of good assistants and coordinators do not make good head coaches. Since most coaches that can not win will not do the right thing and quit, someone has to take the innitiative and see to it that a someone capable of doing the job is put in place. This is where parents and fans can make the superintendent's nasty job of replacing a likable but incompetent coach much easier.

After all it is about the kids, there is no reason to give a bumbling coach more than a couple of years to show some improvement. If a coach has been around a couple of years and the program is going backwards the right thing to do for the kids is to get them a good coach.
I guess our coach is ok, he just needs a little bit of experience under his belt and he needs to quit passing so much.
In all honesty though Haywood is more than a coach but a great person.
As far as caoches go ppl will be on them no matter were they are at. I get cracked up hearing throw the ball Haywood, and then when he does and it gets intercepted or something the same person yells, what are you doing were a running team lol. Gotta love the fans.
But in all honesty every Belfry fan sincearly owes Coach Haywood their thanks for what he has done with Belfry football, and IMO all of Eastern Kentucky for what he has done to Eastern Kentucky football. They are a few Haywoods, McGlones, Holcombs, and Hiltons out there but they aren't many.
At Ashland I've been very happy with the coaching staff however this year my feelings for the staff mainly the head coach has changed for many reasons I don't understand half of the decisions through out this season. I feel like the head coach doesn't have much experience to work with a less experienced group of atheletes or doesn't want to work with them. I'm not making excuses for the team or this season thats for sure though.
Prestonsbugs Coach Does O.k.around Here Against The Small Teams But When We Get Up Against The Better Teams In The Playoffs We Get Out Coached Badly.p-burg Has Had Alot Of Talent The Past Few Years And Have Gone Nowhere.if Coach Derossett Loses Out Of The Play Offs Early He Should Change Some Of His Coaching Staff Before Next Year.it Is About Time We Start Going Deep In The Play Offs We Have The Talent.go Blackcats
If Pikeville would add a top-notch Offensive Coordinator to their current staff, they would be right up there with the top staffs in the mountains IMO. And before anyone suggests it, I am NOT knocking them at all. Just an opinion from a Saturday morning QB.
I do believe their new belly system is the right offense for the Panthers and that they will benefit from this system once they work all the finer details out.
I'm happy with Belfry's staff. ALOT.
big dog one Wrote:Prestonsbugs Coach Does O.k.around Here Against The Small Teams But When We Get Up Against The Better Teams In The Playoffs We Get Out Coached Badly.p-burg Has Had Alot Of Talent The Past Few Years And Have Gone Nowhere.if Coach Derossett Loses Out Of The Play Offs Early He Should Change Some Of His Coaching Staff Before Next Year.it Is About Time We Start Going Deep In The Play Offs We Have The Talent.go Blackcats

Coach D has taken you all to the state championship game, P-burg always goes at least the second, usually later, round of the playoffs. It's hard to be as dominate as they are as a city school. Most schools they compete with have a larger number of area to pull their kids from. I know that he is intense and that some people don't like that. But true football players do. I played for him and I have nothing but respect for the man and his ability to coach. If you don't like him then root for someone else in the county, oh wait they all suck. You see Derosset has kept P-burg as a dominate program despite people like you. You could still have Letton, you know he worked out so well at Paris. So don't go overboard thinking that you need change, what P-burg needs is to sit back and enjoy winning 8-11 games a year.
Pikeville all around!
MR.PERFECT Wrote:you can always find some young guy that played college ball just getting into teaching to help out. But if you can get a guy like that, you better get him or rest assured he will end up somewhereelse. You can't hire assistants who don't know football and just run around on the sidelines to no avail.

You think so? You can't hire people who know nothing because of their children either. That will kill your teams respect for you as a head coach. Too many politics in sports anymore. No one worries about the team, it is all about "ME". If you are a GOOD COACH you CAN hire anybody and COACH them how you want them to COACH. Please think before saying things which are irrelevent!
Booya Wrote:You think so? You can't hire people who know nothing because of their children either. That will kill your teams respect for you as a head coach. Too many politics in sports anymore. No one worries about the team, it is all about "ME". If you are a GOOD COACH you CAN hire anybody and COACH them how you want them to COACH. Please think before saying things which are irrelevent!

How would his opinion be any less relevant than yours or anyone else's?

Would it not be more beneficial to the head coach to hire someone with at least a little playing experience and football knowledge rather than someone off the street that has no football knowledge at all?

Seems like the head coach would spend all his time trying to coach the new assistant coach and the team would suffer from lack of actual coaching.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:Montgomery has 3 former head coachs as assistants. That's what it takes.
Too many teams hire a solid head coach and stick with Farmer Fran as his D coordinator and Joe Blow coaching his secondary. WOW......... a BAD STAFF MAKES A HEAD COACH LOOK BAD. But ultimately the head coach weathers the storm for this.

You said Montgomery has three FORMER head coaches!!! Why are the former? And if that is what it takes, why are state championships not falling out of the trophy cases? I assure you anyone who has been a head coach isn't happy being an assistant. One more point, A good coach cares only for his kids and not what the parents or people in the community think about him or her.
Midee1 Wrote:How would his opinion be any less relevant than yours or anyone else's?

Would it not be more beneficial to the head coach to hire someone with at least a little playing experience and football knowledge rather than someone off the street that has no football knowledge at all?

Seems like the head coach would spend all his time trying to coach the new assistant coach and the team would suffer from lack of actual coaching.

It would be more beneficial IF they had the same coaching style. If they do not, he will still spend his time teaching them his philosophy.
Booya Wrote:It would be more beneficial IF they had the same coaching style. If they do not, he will still spend his time teaching them his philosophy.

True but if the new assistant had some football knowledge you would have to admit the learning curve would be smaller therefore easier on the head coach so he can get back to coaching.

Which to me means it would be more beneficial to hire a young former player that has some football knowledge versus someone off the street that had absolutely no knowledge what so ever.
Midee1 Wrote:True but if the new assistant had some football knowledge you would have to admit the learning curve would be smaller therefore easier on the head coach so he can get back to coaching.

Which to me means it would be more beneficial to hire a young former player that has some football knowledge versus someone off the street that had absolutely no knowledge what so ever.

The curve should be smaller is right. Just depends if their philosophies clash.
launchpad4 Wrote:It's hard to be as dominate as they are as a city school.

Prestonsburg is not a city school.
SamuelAdams Wrote:Prestonsburg is not a city school.

Its school district consists mainly of Prestonsburg because floyd county has about 100 high schools.
Midee1 Wrote:As a Russell fan I must say YES we are very happy with our coaching staff.

Not that I totally disagree with you, but alot of times I dont understand the play calling, and I feel like they are often to one track minded, now yes we have a great program and win alot of games, and the coaches are some of the best people you could ask for, but that doesnt mean there isnt room for vast improvement, and doing new things as the game progresses not only in our area and state, but nationwide. I really just wanna see a screen pass to the wing back, a play action screen pass, is all I want. One where the wing back fakes down on the block and then kicks out to the flat with a pulling guard coming around and picking up the outside help.
Booya, Go back and read all your posts..or at least 90% of them and look at the tone. You seem so angry. Remember, it's only a game. You shouldn't get so worked up. I love footbal more than the average person, but at the end of the day...It's still just a game. Life goes on. I'm not being a bit sarcastic here. You really seem to get upset alot....relax... I almost forgot what the thread was about cause I got wrapped up in your angry rants.
Reply To Launchpad4.i Cannot Believe You Play At P-burg And Thought All That Time It Was A City School.coach Derossett Should Have At Least Taught You That Much.people Like Me Know That P-burg Is Not A City School.we Just Need To Get Back To Playing More Good Teams Instead Of Playing Cupcakes To Get Victories.i Even Bet The Players Would Prefer Playing Better Competion.go Blackcats
big dog one Wrote:Reply To Launchpad4.i Cannot Believe You Play At P-burg And Thought All That Time It Was A City School.coach Derossett Should Have At Least Taught You That Much.people Like Me Know That P-burg Is Not A City School.we Just Need To Get Back To Playing More Good Teams Instead Of Playing Cupcakes To Get Victories.i Even Bet The Players Would Prefer Playing Better Competion.go Blackcats

I didn't say I went to P-burg, I also said that P-burg's school district is made up LARGELY of the people in and in the close approximety of P-burg. I never said it was an independent school, I was just making the point that its district is not very large. However I would think that the Prestonsburg school district would have taught you some sort of grammer during your time their. I was just trying to refute the moron that said he can't coach, so if you're done trying to refute a point that I was not making let's move on to the real discussion of this thread which is good/bad coaches.
Pages: 1 2