Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Staph Infection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I heard it everywhere today. East Ridge, Morgan County, and some other schools or counties having school suspended due to the infection. Anyone else heard anything about this?
blackcat_student Wrote:I heard it everywhere today. East Ridge, Morgan County, and some other schools or counties having school suspended due to the infection. Anyone else heard anything about this?

Atleast its only a staph infection, it could spread to the kids! Big Grin
there is a whole lot more than those 2 schools.... didnt some kids from pike central have a walk out over it or something?
Down at our school were going over walk trough's about it we have gotten papers and things telling us how to prevent it.
There are rumors at Pburg High that some students have it, but we haven't took any action yet.
blackcat_student Wrote:There are rumors at Pburg High that some students have it, but we haven't took any action yet.

Yea same here at SC but someone said we was closing next week not for sure o
I've been told at least 3 students from Valley caught it, they are all on homebound.

I also heard Pike County may get out all of next week to thoroughly clean the schools, anyone got info on this?
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:I've been told at least 3 students from Valley caught it, they are all on homebound.

I also heard Pike County may get out all of next week to thoroughly clean the schools, anyone got info on this?

I'd suspend school and spray it down.
oneandonly Wrote:there is a whole lot more than those 2 schools.... didnt some kids from pike central have a walk out over it or something?

Yes they did. It was in the paper. They refused to go to class until the school was thoroughly cleaned, but it is also said that they just did it for a gag. Who knows though. Some kids might have really been concerned while others may have just wanted to skip class.
as of 3:05 today there was a confirmed case of mrsa staph at lcc
I think they should spray all schools down, to try and keep it down, I've been keeping my hands clean and trying to not touch a lot of things.
Spartan4Life Wrote:I think they should spray all schools down, to try and keep it down, I've been keeping my hands clean and trying to not touch a lot of things.

same here, using germ-x quite a lot.
Several students at ashland schools have it the football team didn't have practice monday b/c they were decontaminating the locker room and the school was just a few students from suspending classes untill attendance increased.
corndog23 Wrote:Atleast its only a staph infection, it could spread to the kids! Big Grin

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ChairHit:
While it is a good idea to clean the schools, what about homes, businesses, etc? It does not start in schools only! Staph is a skin germ and is present on everyone. It is also an ugly infection when it shows up. The media once again has made a mountain out of a mole hill! People need to be educated and not given half the story. I have been a nurse for almost 20 years- staph and MRSA have been around longer than that!
Six Confirmed cases of Staph Infection and been reported at East Ridge.
belfry forever Wrote:While it is a good idea to clean the schools, what about homes, businesses, etc? It does not start in schools only! Staph is a skin germ and is present on everyone. It is also an ugly infection when it shows up. The media once again has made a mountain out of a mole hill! People need to be educated and not given half the story. I have been a nurse for almost 20 years- staph and MRSA have been around longer than that!

Thank you!!! :Clap:

Finally, someone who has not taken the bait on a media story designed to make headlines and scare the crap out of everybody. Like you said, MRSA infections have been around for many years and are not uncommon. They didn't just appear for the first time last week.
What exactly is it and how do you get it. And what happens if you do get it. I have herd alot of people talking about it.
will Pike County schools be out next week? I heard that they were
belfry forever Wrote:While it is a good idea to clean the schools, what about homes, businesses, etc? It does not start in schools only! Staph is a skin germ and is present on everyone. It is also an ugly infection when it shows up. The media once again has made a mountain out of a mole hill! People need to be educated and not given half the story. I have been a nurse for almost 20 years- staph and MRSA have been around longer than that!

I second More Cowbell's thank you...:Thumbs:

Staph is bacteria found on everyone and kids are no more at risk to this 20+ year old infection than adults. MRSA is a strand of Staph that developed because of the overusage of antibiotics on previous efforts. It's a typical virus and nothing more.

"How do I keep from getting it??? Oh no!!!" The media is so crazy! Wash your hands, stop drinking after other people and take a bath more than once a week!!!
It's been all over VA this Fall, from the beach to the mtns. I know of at least 4 games that were ppd. because of it (mainly because a fb player found out he had it on a Wed., Thur. or Fri. and they didn't have enought time to clean all the stuff b4 Fri. night). 1 Sr. from near Lynchburg died from it last week, although he wasn't playing fb this year because he broke his leg last sseason.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I second More Cowbell's thank you...:Thumbs:

Staph is bacteria found on everyone and kids are no more at risk to this 20+ year old infection than adults. MRSA is a strand of Staph that developed because of the overusage of antibiotics on previous efforts. It's a typical virus and nothing more.

"How do I keep from getting it??? Oh no!!!" The media is so crazy! Wash your hands, stop drinking after other people and take a bath more than once a week!!!

LMAO.... I LOVE IT!!!!
but... what you said IS true.... Washing your hands and then using hand sanitizer (99% alcohol) will help prevent a lot of staph. Sanitizing your football equipment if you are a football player, bathing daily, not drinking after other people, and using some common sense will keep you from getting it. NOT by no means saying that you can't come into contact with staph at any given time or place but doing your part to keep yourself and others from getting it is a BIG start to getting rid of this run on of staph!!
phs1986 Wrote:[quote=jammin' jamey]I second More Cowbell's thank you...:Thumbs:

"How do I keep from getting it??? Oh no!!!" The media is so crazy! Wash your hands, stop drinking after other people and take a bath more than once a week!!![/quote]

LMAO.... I LOVE IT!!!!
but... what you said IS true.... Washing your hands and then using hand sanitizer (99% alcohol) will help prevent a lot of staph. Sanitizing your football equipment if you are a football player, bathing daily, not drinking after other people, and using some common sense will keep you from getting it. NOT by no means saying that you can't come into contact with staph at any given time or place but doing your part to keep yourself and others from getting it is a BIG start to getting rid of this run on of staph!!

Agree.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Staph is bacteria found on everyone and kids are no more at risk to this 20+ year old infection than adults. MRSA is a strand of Staph that developed because of the overusage of antibiotics on previous efforts. It's a typical virus and nothing more.

And a thank you to you, too... :Clap:

You're exactly right about where MRSA came from. If one good thing could come from this media scare, maybe this will cause people to realize that it's not a good idea to take an antibiotic every time you get a head cold. It doesn't help, and it leads directly to situations like this.
MRSA is a bacteria that developed because of overuse of antibiotics. While it is resistant to methicillin, it can be treated with other antibiotics such as vancomycin. It is nothing new. To be safe wash your hands, don't drink or eat after others and keep open wounds or sores covered. Staph survives only a couple of days on a dry surface. After a weekend all mrsa on dry surfaces should have died anyway. Areas that may be damp, i.e. showers, football equipment, weight room equipment, should be disinfected. The bacteria can survive in moist conditions for a long time. But you really shouldn't be using these if you have any breaks in your skin anyway. There is no reason to close schools.
Nice post...The schools probably are not the problem but homes, businesses, etc and the fact that some people haven't washed their hands properly since their Mommy did it for them when they were three years old.

BTW...I don't believe the media has blown this one up....I believe "sit ins' by students and uneducated parents have caused most of the ruckus with this one.

ALSO...Staph is not to be taken too lightly...there have been deaths attributed to it.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Nice post...The schools probably are not the problem but homes, businesses, etc and the fact that some people haven't washed their hands properly since their Mommy did it for them when they were three years old.

BTW...I don't believe the media has blown this one up....I believe "sit ins' by students and uneducated parents have caused most of the ruckus with this one.

ALSO...Staph is not to be taken too lightly...there have been deaths attributed to it.

Underlined passage is classic....

and I agree 100%!!!!
phs1986 Wrote:Underlined passage is classic....

and I agree 100%!!!!
Thank You!
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Nice post...The schools probably are not the problem but homes, businesses, etc and the fact that some people haven't washed their hands properly since their Mommy did it for them when they were three years old.

I definately agree that proper handwashing is an issue, but I also feel the media is to blame. They take a story and tell just enough to get people's attention and let it ride from there. Parents get upset (who can blame them?) and the media is all too happy to get involved again. People need to be educated, not scared to death!
belfry forever Wrote:I definately agree that proper handwashing is an issue, but I also feel the media is to blame. They take a story and tell just enough to get people's attention and let it ride from there. Parents get upset (who can blame them?) and the media is all too happy to get involved again. People need to be educated, not scared to death!

Add let me add, keep lysol in your lockerroom and use it often. Dont walk barefoot anywhere. worse spot is probably the shower. wear sandals i guess
Pages: 1 2