Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14th best players ever
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A list of some of some of the guys I think were the best in the 14th (not in order)

Cam Justice (Knott)
 Braxton Beverly (Perry)
 Steve Ginter (Powell)
Steve Johnson (Wolfe)
Justin Johnson (Perry)
Tim Couch (Leslie)
Evan Hall (Knott)
Winfred Hughes (Powell)
Terry Bird (Wolfe)
Caleb Bonny (Estill)

Some others…
Torrel Carter (Letcher)
Conrad Skidmore (Powell)
Jeff Moore (Owsley)
Buddy Cornwell (Owsley)
Carl Wallace (Hazard)
Damon Tobler (Perry)
Mike Smith (Mc Napier)
Mike Turner (Owsley)
What??? No love for Breathitt? Big earl stevens, john Stacy, scott Moore… many more just can’t think of them at 1:30 in the morning. Jeff Allen back in 83. Scott Moore still holds record for scoring most points in half and he didn’t make your list

Moore’s team beat Leslie couch team back in 96 at knott then beats knott at knott for the region title. 96 bhs team is underrated. Can’t think of some of the players that year but they had a good team
Throw on the names it’s all good

The fletcher twins from Breathitt
Jaysean Paige-Overseas,NBA

Jon Bentley-Starter at EKU
Paige played like what 1 or 2 years
Can’t have a list like this without Ben Bowling on it, imo.
The Beverly kids dad, Heston was good along with Trent that played for combs
(03-25-2022, 02:06 PM)Redneck Wrote: [ -> ]Can’t have a list like this without Ben Bowling on it, imo.
You’re right, missed him
Clinton Dixon (Estill)
Caleb Bonny (Estill)
Joe Benton (Estill)

Kenny Brandenburg (Lee)
Aaron Charles (Lee)

Ryan Romans (Powell)

Theirs several others but those come off top of my head.
When you put the word “ever” in there that includes a lot of years.

Hazard’s Johnny Cox led the Bulldogs to a state title in 1955 and was an All American on the Kentucky Wildcats 1958 NCAA championship team. That ought to qualify for something.

Lee County’s 6’8 Larry Stamper took his Bobcats to the Final Four of the state tournament losing in the semifinals in overtime to Seneca. Consensus 1st team All State choice. He played for Rupp and later Joe Hall at UK.

Paul Smith of Owsley County scored over 3500 points between 1958-1962 and went on to play at Mississippi State. He had the consecutive free throw record in the SEC until it was broken in the 1980’s.

Jim Rose, All State player for Hazard in the mid 1960’s, starred at Western Kentucky and led them to the NCAA Final Four in 1971, with a win over Rupp’s Wildcats in the early rounds of the tournament.

Glen Combs of Carr Creek in the early 1960’s played college ball in Virginia and later played in the ABA, leading the league for a couple years in 3 point shooting and played in the ABA All Star game. He also played some in the NBA.

Herbie Stamper of Hindman/Knott Central went on to be a star player for Morehead State in the late 1970’s. One of the all time top scorers in that school’s history..

Arch Johnson of Breathitt County was a star for Morehead State in the early 1970’s.

Denny Fugate of MC Napier played for EKU in the early 1970’s.

Glenn Napier of MC Napier was a high scoring guard for Morehead State in the 1970.

Larry Noble of Breathitt County’s state semifinalist team in 1967 was 1st All State and a star at Austin Peay University in Tennessee.

Big Earl Stevens is a legend. Played on the Fairce Woods teams in the late 1950s and and early 1960s. Went to the state tournament every year he played from eighth grade through graduation. I’m not sure if he played college anywhere.

Cecil Clair was a 6’6 forward at Breathitt County in the late 1950s that played at Morehead State.

Nelson White was a 1st team All State player at Powell County in the mid 1950s. He played D1 college but I don’t recall where.

Winfred Hughes was a great player for Powell County in the early 1970s and played at Morehead State.

I’m sure Carr Creek’s 1956 state championship team had some great players. EB Couch was very good. His son Joey later played on Paintsville’s 1996 state championship team and he went into to be a star football player at UK.

They weren’t in the 14th at the time but Estill County had a player named Jarrod Kiaser that played and started for the Louisville Cardinals

I’m probably forgetting quite a few players but this list is a start.
When the word “EVER” is included in a question such as in this thread title that covers a wide range of years and a lot of unbelievable talent.
(03-26-2022, 11:49 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]When you put the word “ever” in there that includes a lot of years.

Hazard’s Johnny Cox led the Bulldogs to a state title in 1955 and was an All American on the Kentucky Wildcats 1958 NCAA championship team. That ought to qualify for something.

Lee County’s 6’8 Larry Stamper took his Bobcats to the Final Four of the state tournament losing in the semifinals in overtime to Seneca. Consensus 1st team All State choice. He played for Rupp and later Joe Hall at UK.

Paul Smith of Owsley County scored over 3500 points between 1958-1962 and went on to play at Mississippi State. He had the consecutive free throw record in the SEC until it was broken in the 1980’s.

Jim Rose, All State player for Hazard in the mid 1960’s, starred at Western Kentucky and led them to the NCAA Final Four in 1971, with a win over Rupp’s Wildcats in the early rounds of the tournament.

Glen Combs of Carr Creek in the early 1960’s played college ball in Virginia and later played in the ABA, leading the league for a couple years in 3 point shooting and played in the ABA All Star game. He also played some in the NBA.

Herbie Stamper of Hindman/Knott Central went on to be a star player for Morehead State in the late 1970’s. One of the all time top scorers in that school’s history..

Arch Johnson of Breathitt County was a star for Morehead State in the early 1970’s.

Glenn Napier of MC Napier was a high scoring guard for Morehead State in the 1970.

Larry Noble of Breathitt County’s state semifinalist team in 1967 was 1st All State and a star at Austin Peay University in Tennessee.

Big Earl Stevens is a legend. Played on the Fairce Woods teams in the late 1950s and and early 1960s. Went to the state tournament every year he played from eighth grade through graduation. I’m not sure if he played college anywhere.

Cecil Clair was a 6’6 forward at Breathitt County in the late 1950s that played at Morehead State.

Nelson White was a 1st team All State player at Powell County in the mid 1950s. He played D1 college but I don’t recall where.

Winfred Hughes was a great player for Powell County in the early 1970s and played at Morehead State.

I’m sure Carr Creek’s 1956 state championship team had some great players. EB Couch  was very good. His son Joey later played on Paintsville’s 1996 state championship team and he went into to be a star football player at UK.

They weren’t in the 14th at the time but Estill County had a player named Jarrod Kiaser that played and started for the Louisville Cardinals

When the word “EVER” is included in a question such as in this thread title that covers a wide range of years and a lot of unbelievable talent.
(03-26-2022, 11:49 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]When you put the word “ever” in there that includes a lot of years.

I’m sure Carr Creek’s 1956 state championship team had some great players. EB Couch  was very good. His son Joey later played on Paintsville’s 1996 state championship team and he went into to be a star football player at UK.

Very impressive list. Did you have to research this or did you know all these names off the top of your head. The bobcats tradition didn’t stop in the 70’s. They had a couple good teams in the 80’s and one in the 90’s. Keep churning some more names out. Liking the list so far
(03-27-2022, 01:53 AM)Mountainparkway Wrote: [ -> ]

Very impressive list. Did you have to research this or did you know all these names off the top of your head. The bobcats tradition didn’t stop in the 70’s. They had a couple good teams in the 80’s and one in the 90’s. Keep churning some more names out. Liking the list so far
This was from memory. I didn’t research it. I’ve been following high school basketball in the region and state since the early 1960’s. I have a lot of memories.
There’s more players than I listed that could be on a list like this. I just named some of the players from yesteryear because the thread only named some from the mid1980’s to now, and still left quite a few good ones off. But “back in the day” this region had some fantastic basketball players that most of the younger generation know nothing about.

(03-27-2022, 09:02 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-27-2022, 01:53 AM)Mountainparkway Wrote: [ -> ]

This was from memory. I didn’t research it. I’ve been following high school basketball in the region and state since the early 1960’s. I have a lot of memories.
There’s more players than I listed that could be on a list like this. I just named some of the players from yesteryear because the thread only named some from the mid1980’s to now, and still left quite a few good ones off. But “back in the day” this region had some fantastic basketball players that most of the younger generation know nothing about.
Someone about 100 years old that watch’s games regularly is the only person that is capable of compiling a list. Probably should just have all decade teams.
I didn’t mean to post the same thing twice. I was trying to edit my answer to mountain parkway and it reposted the whole thing again instead of just a edit, lol.

(03-27-2022, 09:15 AM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: [ -> ]Someone about 100 years old that watch’s games regularly is the only person that is capable of compiling a list.  Probably should just have all decade teams.
I’m not 100 but close to 70.  :P
I can cover quite a few years but I don’t know much about the players prior to 1960 except what I’ve been told by people that were around to watch them. Basketball has evolved by leaps and bounds throughout the years. For one thing most gyms were small and didn’t have regulation size floors. And in the 14th region there were a lot more schools than there is today, smaller schools before consolidation erased them from the scene. And in most counties there was only basketball, no other sports to compete with. Most people didn’t have TV’s and if they did they only got 2 channels, 3 at most. You could drive up any road or holler and see boys everywhere playing basketball on a dirt half-court. Other than chores there wasn’t much else to do. And I’ll add this, obesity was pretty much non-existent in school age kids, and actually in most adults too. They were outside doing something most the time, working or playing ball.
14th region 1st team all state per ky high school basketball encyclopedia 
1939 John Campbell hindman Clark slone hindman collie Cornett hindman 
1944 lacy risner hindman
1947 bob McGuire hazard 
1948 don miller Carr creek 
1953 garnard Martin hindman
1955 Johnny cox hazard 
1958 don smith hazard James Moore hindman 
1961 Mickey Gibson hazard
1962 Mickey Gibson hazard earl Stevens breathitt 
1965 Jim rose hazard 
1967 Jim rose hazard 
1971 arch Johnson breathitt 
1973 Denny Fugate Napier 
1975herbie stamper Knott 
1980 dickie Alexander hazard 
1987 Daryl slone Knott
1996 Tim couch Leslie 
1999 Jon Bentley hazard 
2008 Clark stepp jbs 
2012 Matt day buckhorn 
2013 camron justice Knott
2014 camron justice Knott 
2015 camron justice Knott Braxton Beverly Perry 
2016 Connor Hoskins buckhorn 
Jim Calhoun was on that Carr Creek title team and went on to play at Cincinnati with Oscar Robertson. Was a member of 2 NCAA Title teams there.
Another note too is that in the ‘40s through the ‘60s, and into the early ‘70s, the only football in the region was played at Hazard and some of the Letcher County schools. It was all basketball and baseball if you played a sport in Powell, Wolfe, Lee, Owsley, Breathitt, Knott and Perry (except for Hazard Ind) and Leslie. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think Breathitt and Leslie started football until the mid 1970s.
Basketball was 100% king of sports in Breathitt. And Coach Fairce Woods made sure it stayed a priority as long as he was there, lol.
You done a great job Lookyanner
(03-27-2022, 10:42 AM)bhs2012 Wrote: [ -> ]14th region 1st team all state per ky high school basketball encyclopedia 
1939 John Campbell hindman Clark slone hindman collie Cornett hindman 
1944 lacy risner hindman
1947 bob McGuire hazard 
1948 don miller Carr creek 
1953 garnard Martin hindman
1955 Johnny cox hazard 
1958 don smith hazard James Moore hindman 
1961 Mickey Gibson hazard
1962 Mickey Gibson hazard earl Stevens breathitt 
1965 Jim rose hazard 
1967 Jim rose hazard 
1971 arch Johnson breathitt 
1973 Denny Fugate Napier 
1975herbie stamper Knott 
1980 dickie Alexander hazard 
1987 Daryl slone Knott
1996 Tim couch Leslie 
1999 Jon Bentley hazard 
2008 Clark stepp jbs 
2012 Matt day buckhorn 
2013 camron justice Knott
2014 camron justice Knott 
2015 camron justice Knott Braxton Beverly Perry 
2016 Connor Hoskins buckhorn 
Jeff “Moose” Moore of Owsley County was a First Team All State selection in 1990
(03-25-2022, 02:56 AM)Mountainparkway Wrote: [ -> ]What??? No love for Breathitt? Big earl stevens, john Stacy, scott Moore… many more just can’t think of them at 1:30 in the morning. Jeff Allen back in 83. Scott Moore still holds record for scoring most points in half and he didn’t make your list

Moore’s team beat Leslie couch team back in 96 at knott then beats knott at knott for the region title. 96 bhs team is underrated. Can’t think of some of the players that year but they had a good team
That 96 team is underrated. Scott Moore lead state in scoring at over 30 a game. That team also had Waylon Chapman and John Rader who were pretty good at football also.

Big Earl Stevens was a star for Breathitt. His senior year they had probably best team in state but he got hurt in region semifinals. They still made the state tournament.
(04-18-2022, 01:55 PM)wolfcat Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-25-2022, 02:56 AM)Mountainparkway Wrote: [ -> ]What??? No love for Breathitt? Big earl stevens, john Stacy, scott Moore… many more just can’t think of them at 1:30 in the morning. Jeff Allen back in 83. Scott Moore still holds record for scoring most points in half and he didn’t make your list

That 96 team is underrated. Scott Moore lead state in scoring at over 30 a game. That team also had Waylon Chapman and John Rader who were pretty good at football also.

Big Earl Stevens was a star for Breathitt. His senior year they had probably best team in state but he got hurt in region semifinals. They still made the state tournament.
Henry B Combs was a very good player too on those early ‘60s teams with Big Earl. He made the All Tournament team at the state tournament and Breathitt made it to the semifinals. I think James Turner, who later coached Breathitt and won 2 regions, was also a guard on that team.
Wes Noble from Breathitt was one of the most talented players to come out of the 14th region and no one mentions him. Also Cam Justice, Braxton Beverly, Matt Day, Justin Johnson, in the past 5-6 years there have not been any stand-out studs that made it to the D1 level or professional level and succeeded.
(04-20-2022, 10:15 AM)bobkitty Wrote: [ -> ]Wes Noble from Breathitt was one of the most talented players to come out of the 14th region and no one mentions him. Also Cam Justice, Braxton Beverly, Matt Day, Justin Johnson, in the past 5-6 years there have not been any stand-out studs that made it to the D1 level or professional level and succeeded.

I'd put Evan Hall in that list too. Played D-1 for four years at IUPUI. I give he, Justice, Beverly and Johnson credit, they all stuck it out at the D-1 level and had successes there.
Jim Rose- Hazard
Johnny Cox- Hazard
Sam Smith- Hazard
Denny Fugate- MC Napier
Herbie Stamper- KCC
Dickie Alexander- Hazard
Camron Justice- KCC
Ben Bowling- PCC

There is a few, in no particular order
I like all them but Ben Bowling. He was good but no that caliber as the others. Justin Johnson and Braxton Beverly were a lot better.