Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell vs. Raceland
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Time to RENEW an OLD rivalry
OK, might as well go ahead and get it started, let's hear it, is there any old stories that can be told here on this old rivalry?
I think Raceland will come out fired up for the first quarter, maybe first half and keep it close, then I look for Russell to run away with it by 4 or more TD's, I just hope they get out of this little funk I saw them in last night, very sloppy play.
I do not see this game as a blowout like I may have at the beginning of the year. This game is going to be closer then what most people may think, I know that the Raceland faithful's have been waiting for this game then maybe the player's. This game is going to have an atmosphere like no other. I have heard that they are renting extra bleacher to put around the field for this game.
I hope so, this game should have been played at Henry R Evans stadium, where we can hold more than 3000 people.

I dont see how it can even be close, the rams will look like a JV team up against Russell, plus you are gonna see Russell fired up like you have not seen them all year. I hope for no injuries, but I see the Russell players delivering some major hits, so those Rams better put on some extra padding for this one.
DEVIL89 Wrote:I have heard that they are renting extra bleacher to put around the field for this game.

If they do the Bleachers have to be anchored to the ground in "a permanent fashion".
EkyLb Wrote:I hope so, this game should have been played at Henry R Evans stadium, where we can hold more than 3000 people.

This will be Raceland's Senior Night and the only open date that both schools had so it has to be at Raceland. Senior Night. That's why it's at Raceland.
DevilsWin Wrote:This will be Raceland's Senior Night and the only open date that both schools had so it has to be at Raceland. Senior Night. That's why it's at Raceland.
I wouldn't think Senior Night would have had anything to do with why the game was scheduled at Raceland. Schools usually make the last home reagular season game senior night no matter who the apponent is.
That is not why it is at Raceland, the reason that the game is at Raceland is because that is the only way they would sign the contract to play was to play the first game at Raceland.
Poll added.
It is my understanding was that Raceland would have played at HRE, but they wanted to split the gate money and concessions.
No matter what the reason is the fact is THE GAME IS HERE and it is at Raceland so if you want to go to the game you better get there early because you may not find a place to park or a seat to sit at (you may not even be able to park along the highway for this one).
Playing at Raceland this year is number 49 in the history of the game, NuMBER 50 will be at Russell next year. 50th meeting, I can guess that there are alot of old stories about these 2 teams. Like Russell walking home after a game inthe 1920's I think because of a bus issue. I do know that the history book had Russell playing asemi-pro team at one time in history.. When it was legal I guess. Funny how alot of history is lost when 2 schools dont play each other any more... DEVIL 89 fill us in on someother stories.

Oh almost forgot.. Russell will not let them score.... I gues it will be 42 to 0,, US.
Well let's see what the GOOD book tells us (I just happen to have it with me right now).
Russell and Raceland first played against each other in 1926 with Russell winning 18-0.
Raceland's first ever victory over Russell was in 1933, score was 12-2.
The last time these two teams played each other was in 1974, with Russell winning 19-8.
The over all record between these two teams is Russell has won 26, Raceland has won 15, and there were 7 ties.
How's that for a little history lesson. Oh by the way if you look at it this will be McGlone's first meeting between the teams (not counting the GRID games and SCRIMMAGES).
Devilologist, where have you been lately I miss all the talks we had, lol. Is that enough history for you or do you want more?
Russell 35

Raceland 14
By the way, there is one more little history for you, it was in 1939 when the Russell team had to walk home after the game, I believe that the story goes that Russell played so bad that game that when the game was over the coach was so mad that when they got on the bus to go home it would not start so the coach made the players get off the bus and walk all the way home, the whole time the coach was yelling at his player's for how bad they played.
DEVIL89 Wrote:By the way, there is one more little history for you, it was in 1939 when the Russell team had to walk home after the game, I believe that the story goes that Russell played so bad that game that when the game was over the coach was so mad that when they got on the bus to go home it would not start so the coach made the players get off the bus and walk all the way home, the whole time the coach was yelling at his player's for how bad they played.

If we lose this game we shouldn't walk home, we should run..........
Well let's hope it doesn't happen, I believe though that is going to be a closer game then most people think (I hope that I am wrong on this).
Where is this being played? If we're blowing out East Carter at the half and I leave early I will probably stop by on my way home.

Edit: NM, just read it's at Raceland.

Oh, what radio station will this be broadcast on?
Sarrr Wrote:Where is this being played? If we're blowing out East Carter at the half and I leave early I will probably stop by on my way home.

Edit: NM, just read it's at Raceland.

Oh, what radio station will this be broadcast on?

It will be broadcast on 105.7 WLGC. Is Belfry at East? If so make the trip back and come see the game. Raceland isn't more than 3-4 miles from Russell. Just give me a shout and I will give you directions to Raceland.
I wish we wouldn't have agreed to play this game. No good comes of it. I'm already sick of it.
I am going to JC to watch BElfry at JC on our off week... ANy tailgaters going to be there????
Russell
Russell is just too much especially after coming off a HUGE win at Mason! Seeing it 45-21 Russell.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5