Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best High School Basketball Coach in State
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think it will be coach Bill Mike Runion. Give me your oppions on this one guys
BIG FAN #1 Wrote:I think it will be coach Bill Mike Runion. Give me your oppions on this one guys

All I hear is Bill Mike this and that....Tell Ole Bill mike to win the 15 region tournament....He supposedly has the most talented team in the 15th the past 3 years....Johnny Martin is the best coach in the 15th.....No one has done more with less....He is the reigning coach of the year in the 15th.
raymond justice in my eyes is one of the top coaches in the state , he took belfry to 3 strait sweet 16s in the early 90's thats hard to do
Gary Stepp
C'mon now we all know the new uprising Sheldon Clark Cardinals coach Roger Harless is and will be the best for years to come!!!Expect a state title in the next few years!!!Belive that!!
psalm23 Wrote:all i hear is bill mike this and that....tell ole bill mike to win the 15 region tournament....he supposedly has the most talented team in the 15th the past 3 years........Johnny Martin is the best coach in the 15th.....no one has done more with less....he is the reigning coach of the year in the 15th

The man has won 7 regional championships, who knows how many district championships, 4 straight appearances in the sweet 16 that included one state championship, one state runner-up (which they shoulda won) and one final four (which they shoulda won). He does have a very talented team, the three years I don't think so. The last two maybe, they just choked. Shots didn't fall and foul trouble hurt the Tigers the last two years in the region. Johnny Martin is a **** of a coach, there's no denyin that but how many regions has he won? You can say he has done more with less all you want but he has coached some of the best players to come out of this region. This thread is about who the best coach in the STATE is, not the 15th region. I love Coach Runyon and respect everything he has done, but is not the best coach in the STATE and neither is Johnny Martin.
Coach Runyon is a great HS coach and gets the most out of his players in practice and the game. Sometimes shots don't fall and they come up on the short side of things. Past Tiger teams have had their fair share of physical confrontations but it stayed in house and wasn't displayed in a public forum for people to see. In the heat of battle tempers flare and sometimes you act without thinking. My vote for best coach in the state would be Coach Hicks from Scott Co. He was a winner at every school he has been to.
GRIZZ Wrote:Coach Runyon is a great HS coach and gets the most out of his players in practice and the game. Sometimes shots don't fall and they come up on the short side of things. Past Tiger teams have had their fair share of physical confrontations but it stayed in house and wasn't displayed in a public forum for people to see. In the heat of battle tempers flare and sometimes you act without thinking. My vote for best coach in the state would be Coach Hicks from Scott Co. He was a winner at every school he has been to.

I'll agree with ya on Billy Hicks bein the best coach in the state. Well it's between him and the coach from Warren Central, Riley I think is his last name.
Absolutely agree, Runyon is THE BEST. No other competition.
pawsmom2 Wrote:Absolutely agree, Runyon is THE BEST. No other competition.

Come on, the best in the state? No competition? Please, if that were true, why does he only have one state trophy? With the talent that has passed thru his hands? Not taking away the "good" part but not the best coach in the STATE.
While I don't like his grind it out style, I think
Alan Hatcher (Graves County) deserves a mention.
Billy Hicks
pawsmom2 Wrote:Absolutely agree, Runyon is THE BEST. No other competition.
That's why he hasn't won a regional title since 1998 which had two D-1 players on it.
Survivor Wrote:Gary Stepp

Or is it Jim Stepp.
1911 Wrote:That's why he hasn't won a regional title since 1998 which had two D-1 players on it.

He shoulda had a couple more since then, one for sure but they got screwed in the region championship, BAD.
What determines the difference between a great coach and a good coach? It is how many 20 win seasons they have in their career? How many state championships they have won? Or could it be how many of their players they actually helped to get into college. Maybe even how many of their players they have had a positive impact on their lives? I think good coaches can change games, but great coaches can change lives.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:What determines the difference between a great coach and a good coach? It is how many 20 win seasons they have in their career? How many state championships they have won? Or could it be how many of their players they actually helped to get into college. Maybe even how many of their players they have had a positive impact on their lives? I think good coaches can change games, but great coaches can change lives.

That is true, in my opninion winning is not everything that people make it out to be in today's world. What matters is the kids and what they learn. Did they improve their "game" in their particular sport, did they grow as a person, were they able to benefit from their time in a system, and how did it help them in their later life. Winning is great, don't get me wrong, but it is what we teach these kids about life and how to deal with it that determines if you are agreat coach or not. Just my opinion.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:What determines the difference between a great coach and a good coach? It is how many 20 win seasons they have in their career? How many state championships they have won? Or could it be how many of their players they actually helped to get into college. Maybe even how many of their players they have had a positive impact on their lives? I think good coaches can change games, but great coaches can change lives.

Excellant post. I agree with you 100%, most people go by wins and titles but the ones that change life's are a step ahead of all the others no matter how many more games they've won.
GRIZZ Wrote:Coach Runyon is a great HS coach and gets the most out of his players in practice and the game. Sometimes shots don't fall and they come up on the short side of things. Past Tiger teams have had their fair share of physical confrontations but it stayed in house and wasn't displayed in a public forum for people to see. In the heat of battle tempers flare and sometimes you act without thinking. My vote for best coach in the state would be Coach Hicks from Scott Co. He was a winner at every school he has been to.
Couldn't agree more. Billy Hicks has more basketball knowledge and know's the game better than anyone I know...in the state of Kentucky that is.Smile
I think that everyone would agree randy casey isnt the greatest coach but his turned our program around to a contender
Hicks at Scott County, even without mackey
Hicks and Wright