Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Breathitt 68 - Wolfe 65
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final from Breathitt County.
Great game between 2 of the regions top teams. Both teams made some big runs and Breathitt’s Jalen Turner hits a 3 with the game tied 65-65 with 16 seconds left. Tolson for Wolfe hit a ton of clutch shots and Combs had some big shots for Breathitt in the 4th. These 2 teams never disappoint when they get together, the game had a regional final feel with a packed house.
I doubt you could combine Wolfe and Breathitt and beat Perry.
When are they taking Perry up to play UK?
Perry is playing good basketball right now but they beat a Knox Central team that isn’t near as talented as the last few years across the board. They beat Harlan who was also beat by Pikeville last night. Harlan is a good team but not a great team. I think it might be a little early to give Perry the regional championship. Breathitt and Wolfe both have the talent to play with and beat Perry. Perry can beat both of those teams as well which is why right now really isn’t that important it comes down to which team improves the most and which team is playing well the week of the regional tournament.
(12-18-2021, 04:20 PM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: [ -> ]Perry is playing good basketball right now but they beat a Knox Central team that isn’t near as talented as the last few years across the board. They beat Harlan who was also beat by Pikeville last night. Harlan is a good team but not a great team. I think it might be a little early to give Perry the regional championship. Breathitt and Wolfe both have the talent to play with and beat Perry. Perry can beat both of those teams as well which is why right now really isn’t that important it comes down to which team improves the most and which team is playing well the week of the regional tournament.
Wait so now Knox isn’t any good or Pikeville who is 5-0 and has win over Mason county at Mason county isn’t good?  Don’t try to devalue Pikeville who I believe is playing the best out of any team in the 14th or 15th.   This is a discussion about teams right now and I believe Perry is the best right now in the 14th based on resume.   Breathitt lost to that same Harlan team that Pikeville blew out and Wolfe has a really bad loss at Paintsville.
Perry might want to play UK, nobody in the 14th gonna challenge them. Maybe Noble and Creech can load up their best.
My prediction is this won’t end well for the Bobcats this year. I can see things getting ugly. Overall the team looks like they are coachless. Turnovers, poor shot selection, No discipline on either end of the floor.
Come on now wanna at, that’s a little harsh. Noble does as good of a job with them as anyone could. John Calpari would have a hard time coaching this team and dealing with parents. The Cats start playing as a team, they could win the region. Not worry about who scored the most all the time.
No one said Perry wasn’t a top team in region. I just think it’s funny that you would say they’re so good that Breathitt and Wolfe can’t compete or beat them. Both teams have the ability to play with anyone in the 14th.
(12-18-2021, 08:48 PM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: [ -> ]No one said Perry wasn’t a top team in region. I just think it’s funny that you would say they’re so good that Breathitt and Wolfe can’t compete or beat them. Both teams have the ability to play with anyone in the 14th.
Never said they couldn’t compete.  I got frustrated when you tried to discredit Knox and Pikeville. At the moment I believe it’s a two horse race for the 14th in Perry and Breathitt. Right now Perry has the better resume. Now I don’t have any updates on their game today with Harlan but just going on games before today.  If Breathitt finds a way to gel and play for each other they can be very good. Right now Perry is playing the best but yes that could change.
(12-18-2021, 02:57 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt you could combine Wolfe and Breathitt and beat Perry.

That is probably pushing it.
I look for Wolfe County to improve as the season progresses. Due to covid protocol, one of their best players, Levi Mayabb has been out the majority of the season. For Wolfe county to have a chance of beating PCC, Skylar Richie has got to play more aggressive. At times, he looks like he’s lost on the court. Wilgus Tolson is has matured into one of the best point guards in the state. The kid has more grit than the rest of the Wolfe team combined. He just about single handedly beat Breathitt by himself.
Only play 5 at a time Huck. Perry’s 5 better than any 5 Breathitt and Wolfe could throw together.
They should be considering the fact that Perry took players from Perry, Estill, and Buckhorn.
All those kids from Estill and Buckhorn were Perry County kids already. No recruiting necessary.
It’s been going on for years down there so it’s no surprise to anyone that it happened again this year. Can’t win with the kids you have so you have to go out and get people. Ruins high school basketball. Never gonna change though.
January 18 and January 25 will tell us a little more about where the top teams are situated in the pecking order when Perry plays host to Wolfe and Breathitt. The home court will give them some advantages (familiarity with the gym and court, etc) but still should be a good indicator of who is top dog.

I’m still trying to figure out how Harlan County beat Perry Central by 21 points in Hazard. I realize that Harlan Co is pretty good but there’s no way the Black Bears should beat this Commodore team at PCC, at least not by 21!
(12-18-2021, 06:50 PM)wannacat Wrote: [ -> ]My prediction is this won’t end well for the Bobcats this year.  I can see things getting ugly. Overall the team  looks like they are coachless.  Turnovers, poor shot selection,  No discipline on either end of the floor.

Your son not getting many varsity minutes?
That’s the way we roll in Perry County. Dylan Knight, straight outta Chavies and Landon Napier, straight out of Yerkes. Just took them a while to come back home. Sometimes kids get side tracked.
(12-19-2021, 12:57 PM)Wolfeman Wrote: [ -> ]I look for Wolfe County to improve as the season progresses. Due to covid protocol, one of their best players, Levi Mayabb has been out the majority of the season. For Wolfe county to have a chance of beating PCC, Skylar Richie has got to play more aggressive. At times, he looks like he’s lost on the court. Wilgus Tolson is has matured into one of the best point guards in the state. The kid has more grit than the rest of the Wolfe team combined. He just about single handedly beat Breathitt by himself.

Nobody in this region will beat PCC single handedly. That game plan is no game plan.
Thoughts following the game. Breathitt’s size really gave wolfe a lot of trouble. A lot of contested and fading away shots. Ritchie has to play better for them to have a shot at breathitt. Not sure Tolson can put those numbers up again. Surprised nobody attempted to take a charge on Sperry, multiple times the opportunity was there.
Speaking of transferring kids, breathitt has 3 of their own. 2 who went to the city school the majority of their life and another from Owsley.
(12-18-2021, 05:07 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Perry might want to play UK, nobody in the 14th gonna challenge them. Maybe Noble and Creech can load up their best.

If they did play them and win
(not possible) to be clear.
People on bgr would just say that UK is just down this year,lol.
(12-19-2021, 08:14 PM)RockyRoad Wrote: [ -> ]Thoughts following the game. Breathitt’s size really gave wolfe a lot of trouble. A lot of contested and fading away shots. Ritchie has to play better for them to have a shot at breathitt. Not sure Tolson can put those numbers up again. Surprised nobody attempted to take a charge on Sperry, multiple times the opportunity was there.
    Speaking of transferring kids, breathitt has 3 of their own. 2 who went to the city school the majority of their life and another from Owsley.

If needed Tolson could put up big numbers just about every night. He usually just helps his teammates score. I think Wolfe will beat Breathitt at home. 
(12-18-2021, 07:47 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Come on now wanna at, that’s a little harsh.  Noble does as good of a job with them as anyone could.  John Calpari would have a hard time coaching this team and dealing with parents.  The Cats start playing as a team, they could win the region.  Not worry about who scored the most all the time.
I couldn't help but smile a little with you acting like Breathitt is in some kind of turmoil because it was Perry who had one of their "star" players quit then rejoin the team the next day at the WYMT. Who's unhappy now?

(12-19-2021, 08:14 PM)RockyRoad Wrote: [ -> ]Thoughts following the game. Breathitt’s size really gave wolfe a lot of trouble. A lot of contested and fading away shots. Ritchie has to play better for them to have a shot at breathitt. Not sure Tolson can put those numbers up again. Surprised nobody attempted to take a charge on Sperry, multiple times the opportunity was there.
Breathitt has one transfer. Collins from Buckhorn and his parents live in Jackson. The other kids you are probably referring to entered Breathitt their freshman year, which is when the KHSAA transfer definition and rules kick in.
I couldn't help but smile a little with you acting like Breathitt is in some kind of turmoil because it was Perry who had one of their "star" players quit then rejoin the team the next day at the WYMT. Who's unhappy now?
That's where you have been given bad information.
PCC did have a kid say that they were quitting and going to school out of state. But here is where it gets interesting.  This kid is a great young talent and will be developed into a next level basketball player at Perry.
Although playing time was the catalyst here, it wasn't the kid that was upset and ultimately it was the kid that decided he wasn't going anywhere. These kids know what is possible with this team. Kid has chosen to accept a position as a role player to be a part of it.In my opinion, it was a good decision. He is a play maker and each kid has something to offer to the team.
You want to turn this into a negative, lol.
This was a bonding moment for the whole team and this team wouldn't be where they are if it hadn't happened.

Meanwhile, Collins is wondering where all his shots went.
(12-19-2021, 05:24 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: [ -> ]All those kids from Estill and Buckhorn were Perry County kids already.  No recruiting necessary.
Napiers parents weren’t from Estill but graduated their. Napier born and raised in Estill. Perry Central is the team to beat they look great, but still saying they can’t win with local talent. They been cherry picking for years. Sad.
If you are going to compete in the 14th you better be able to recruit. Most of the successful teams in the 14th over the years have had recruits and there is no denying that. Some got recruits from other 14th region schools, some got them from other regions, and some from more exotic locations, but they all had non “home-grown” kids that contributed greatly to their success. Everybody just needs to stop the finger pointing and hit the recruiting trail!
I’ve saw a lot of Regional Championship pics of Perry’s in their gym. All local talent. Not sure Hoskins has won with local kids but Al Holland and Allen Hatcher did I believe.
How can Ritchie kid get more aggressive when he only gets 3 or 4 touches a game He appears to be discouraged to me .Wolfe has too many pistol Pete's can't heat nobody.
Pages: 1 2