Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14 Year Old Arrested For Planning Columbine Style Attack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
His parents bought him an assault rifle and he had hand-grenades in his bedroom!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/11/student...index.html
Pretty good parenting right there.
Scary
Wasn't some of the so called "weaponry" BB guns? I thought I heard that on the news after they said his friend ratted him out, that the only actual gun he had was the assualt riffle.
the mom needs locked up to!!
GRIZZ Wrote:Wasn't some of the so called "weaponry" BB guns? I thought I heard that on the news after they said his friend ratted him out, that the only actual gun he had was the assualt riffle.
Oh...so he only had an assault rifle? Well in that case....still scary.
And some people said they weren't even sure if he would have gone through and attempted this, BS, you don't have that stuff in your child's room if he isn't planning something, no kid needs hand grenades!
He was attempting to recruit an accomplice. That's the guy that ratted him out. How soon some people forget and don't take seriously the threats of kids who are visibly disturbed. Look at the shooting in Cleveland the day before. Kids warned the school principle but she was too busy to address the issue.

Then there is the tragedy at Virginia Tech. Columbine and many more. How many of you remember when the Pennington kid at East Carter High School went on a rampage. These things should never be taken lightly. BB guns or whatever, it makes no difference. Unless someone takes action these school shootings will continue.

There is a case right now in Oregon in which a female teacher who owns a concealed carry permit wants to carry her side arm to school and with her in class for her protection as well as for her students.
It's a 2nd Amendment issue and I support her right to protect herself given the current climate in schools today.
GRIZZ Wrote:Wasn't some of the so called "weaponry" BB guns? I thought I heard that on the news after they said his friend ratted him out, that the only actual gun he had was the assualt riffle.

Oh is that all? Like it couldn't kill anybody or anything right?
alfus21 Wrote:Oh is that all? Like it couldn't kill anybody or anything right?

No, no need to be a smart ass about it which is what you are being. But to say he had numerous weapons that could kill everyone is a false statement. One gun, limited amo would make it hard to pull off the so called "Columbine Attack." Those guys have everything under the sun in their grasp when it comes to guns, bombs made from propane tanks that were in the building and luckily didn't detanate or the events on that date could've been a lot worse. This kid had one weapon and was going to go at the task alone.
Beef Wrote:Oh...so he only had an assault rifle? Well in that case....still scary.

Gosh, who took a big leak in everyone's Corn Flakes tonight? All I said was that he had one dangerous weapon that could kill, the others maybe would've left a little skin wound. The way you all are trying to make it look was like he had a full military arsenal of guns. It is wrong, but thankfully it was caught before someone got injured.
GRIZZ Wrote:But to say he had numerous weapons that could kill everyone is a false statement. One gun, limited amo would make it hard to pull off the so called "Columbine Attack." This kid had one weapon and was going to go at the task alone.
Your just wrong Grizz. Nothing in these 2 statements will hold up. Did you read the story? Where do you get this stuff?:confused:
GRIZZ Wrote:Gosh, who took a big leak in everyone's Corn Flakes tonight? All I said was that he had one dangerous weapon that could kill, the others maybe would've left a little skin wound. The way you all are trying to make it look was like he had a full military arsenal of guns. It is wrong, but thankfully it was caught before someone got injured.
What is your problem man? The kid had home-made hand grenades!!!!!
DevilsWin Wrote:Your just wrong Grizz. Nothing in these 2 statements will hold up. Did you read the story? Where do you get this stuff?:confused:

No need to read the article when it has been played on every news station just about all day. Flip it over to Fox News, they've been talking about this for about the past hour.
DevilsWin Wrote:What is your problem man? The kid had home-made hand grenades!!!!!

NOTHING IS WRONG WITH ME!!! Damn, all I said was he had ONE GUN, LIMITED AMMO. The rest of his guns were BB guns. Call me and let me know when a kid knocks over a deer from 400 feet with a Red Ryder:Thumbs: The news blows everything out of proportion, especially CNN. They are probably the worlds worst and take the traditional democratic stand on everything. Do you realize the type of understanding one must have, the materials, and amount of hours to construct a useful gernade? Something a 14 year old definately cannot have or do. Shoot, give me 3 hours, two bars of soap, a butter knife, a little model car paint and glue, and I could make the device he did and it would be just as useful. I said I am glad that his friend ratted him out so something like this would not take place. Violence in school is horrible no matter where it is or what it is. No one should have to send their child to school and worry about their safety.
Either way you cut it, they said one grenade was fully functional and others were being made. One assault rifle is enough to kill several students. He could have easily gotten the ammo since his mom bought him the gun.

Even if it wasn't a big enough plot to kill as many as Columbine it was enough to kill more than one. Hell even if it was just one it is still a huge deal that this was found.

The bb guns are moot point right now. Even if all they found was an assault rifle that's plenty.
GRIZZ Wrote:No need to read the article when it has been played on every news station just about all day. Flip it over to Fox News, they've been talking about this for about the past hour.
For starters Fox Noise isn't a reliable news organization. But that's a whole different thread.
DevilsWin Wrote:For starters Fox Noise isn't a reliable news organization. But that's a whole different thread.

Must be a democrat. CNN had news out today that the attack was far off from happening. And the mother has now been handed 6 counts of something, too busy eating to hear what the final word was.
GRIZZ Wrote:Must be a democrat. CNN had news out today that the attack was far off from happening. And the mother has now been handed 6 counts of something, too busy eating to hear what the final word was.
Your Damn right and I'm proud of it!
alfus21 Wrote:Either way you cut it, they said one grenade was fully functional and others were being made. One assault rifle is enough to kill several students. He could have easily gotten the ammo since his mom bought him the gun.

Even if it wasn't a big enough plot to kill as many as Columbine it was enough to kill more than one. Hell even if it was just one it is still a huge deal that this was found.

The bb guns are moot point right now. Even if all they found was an assault rifle that's plenty.

How would they know if it was fully funcitonal by just looking at it? They have to run tests, check to make sure all the pieces were intact for it to be fully functional and that could take some time maybe several days, not just after a couple of seconds. I've listend to lectures in several mechanical engineering classes from spokes people from the US Military when they come to school trying to gain interest in students to go on Co-Op with their organization. That is what many of the students do when they go to work for them, analyze weapons under the supervision of someone to make sure they have the propper capabilities that they are intended to. Like I said the odds are VERY slim for it to function right. I was not knocking the fact that it wasn't a big deal. You have to take these things seriously. All I said was that he had one legit gun, the rest were BB guns then I get bombarded with people that get their undies in a bunch because they thought I was just ignoring the significance of this. Like I said in my last post, the mother has been charged as well as the boy, and I'm glad for that and for the fact that this did not have the opprotunity to take place.
GRIZZ Wrote:How would they know if it was fully funcitonal by just looking at it? They have to run tests, check to make sure all the pieces were intact for it to be fully functional and that could take some time maybe several days, not just after a couple of seconds. I've listend to lectures in several mechanical engineering classes from spokes people from the US Military when they come to school trying to gain interest in students to go on Co-Op with their organization. That is what many of the students do when they go to work for them, analyze weapons under the supervision of someone to make sure they have the propper capabilities that they are intended to. Like I said the odds are VERY slim for it to function right. I was not knocking the fact that it wasn't a big deal. You have to take these things seriously. All I said was that he had one legit gun, the rest were BB guns then I get bombarded with people that get their undies in a bunch because they thought I was just ignoring the significance of this. Like I said in my last post, the mother has been charged as well as the boy, and I'm glad for that and for the fact that this did not have the opprotunity to take place.

Well good for you man, and I'm glad to see you think it's more serious than you originally made it sound. I was going by what the article said. I'm sure there are people out there a bit more trained on the subject than you when it comes to explosives. (Just maybe, right?) I was going by the article, and what the actual authorities that raided the home had to say about it.

"Authorities said one grenade was operable". Operable meaning functional and desirable to use. I'm sure tests were ran overnight Wednesday as the story broke on Thursday. It doesn't take days for someone who actually knows what they're talking about to figure out if it's functional or not.
alfus21 Wrote:Well good for you man, and I'm glad to see you think it's more serious than you originally made it sound. I was going by what the article said. I'm sure there are people out there a bit more trained on the subject than you when it comes to explosives. (Just maybe, right?) I was going by the article, and what the actual authorities that raided the home had to say about it.

"Authorities said one grenade was operable". Operable meaning functional and desirable to use. I'm sure tests were ran overnight Wednesday as the story broke on Thursday. It doesn't take days for someone who actually knows what they're talking about to figure out if it's functional or not.
The story was updated today and as it turns out, he had 2 operational grenades.

I'm wondering why Grizz knows so much about how to make a hand grenade.
DevilsWin Wrote:The story was updated today and as it turns out, he had 2 operational grenades.

Sounds like this situation is a little more serious than what was initially reported. I heard that there was a segment on t.v. today with all the arsonal on a table or something....I'd say that the boy will end up in a juvy til he turns 18 and the mom is gonna be doing hard time for a while.

As for Grizz making hand grenades, he said that he is doing engineering and that the U.S. Army gets students at UofL to do their co-ops for them and it's in weapon design. So I'd say that's why he knows quite a bit.
DevilsWin Wrote:The story was updated today and as it turns out, he had 2 operational grenades.

Man do you read my posts all the way through or just pick out what you want to read? I said pretty clear that I have heard several lectures from the US Military services down here in Louisville when they come to my engineering school to try to gain student interest to get them to go on Co-Op with their organization.
alfus21 Wrote:Well good for you man, and I'm glad to see you think it's more serious than you originally made it sound. I was going by what the article said. I'm sure there are people out there a bit more trained on the subject than you when it comes to explosives. (Just maybe, right?) I was going by the article, and what the actual authorities that raided the home had to say about it.

Thanks for finally seeing that I did think it was a big deal and not something to be taken lightly. Did they actually test the gernade is all I'm asking or did the PA authorities look at it while smoking a big cigarette and say "Yup, that looks like it could do some damage." There is no way of actually telling if the thing would go off until it is looked at in a lab. Also, yeah I'm pretty sure there are more people that know what the heck is going on than me about the situation with the gernade. But I'm defending that point about not knowing whether or not it would detanate until it is tested in a lab because I've heard it about 5 times now from Military personel that deal with these things on a daily basis. Those things are highly technical and way too advanced for a 14 year old boy to understand.
My dad and I where painting a house for an old couple in Floyd Co. today when the old man I was working for told me about this story. We were having a conversation about how a lot of parents really shouldn't have kids. I was lost at first as I thought he knew the guy, or that this was a local event.
When I got home I read the story. A kid that has grenades, an assault rifle and is trying to recruit others to help him with his plan. Really crazy and scary stuff.
GRIZZ Wrote:NOTHING IS WRONG WITH ME!!! Damn, all I said was he had ONE GUN, LIMITED AMMO. The rest of his guns were BB guns. Call me and let me know when a kid knocks over a deer from 400 feet with a Red Ryder:Thumbs: The news blows everything out of proportion, especially CNN. They are probably the worlds worst and take the traditional democratic stand on everything. Do you realize the type of understanding one must have, the materials, and amount of hours to construct a useful gernade? Something a 14 year old definately cannot have or do. Shoot, give me 3 hours, two bars of soap, a butter knife, a little model car paint and glue, and I could make the device he did and it would be just as useful. I said I am glad that his friend ratted him out so something like this would not take place. Violence in school is horrible no matter where it is or what it is. No one should have to send their child to school and worry about their safety.

First off, I don't think he would have walked into the school and said "Ok, everybody go outside, start running and I won't shoot til you're 400 feet away!!!" 2nd, he was trying to get the other kid, who's to say that the other kid wouldn't have been able to get more gun(s) and more ammo. 3rd, even with limited ammo, he walks into school, is it ok and blown out of proportion because he could have only killed a few kids with that much ammo? 4th, shots to the head with high powered BB guns can do damage, possibly kill, if they hit right, and since the mom bought him a gun, I bet the BB guns she bought him were very high powered.
This thread is startin' to get to be absurd....those past several have been dumb as hell. Long story short, the kid got caught...nothing happend, he's either in or going to be in juvy...mom's gonna push some time. Let's see what we can do to prevent this from happening again instead of talking nonsense.