Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The Most Beautiful Combination of Words in the English....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A famous linguist once said that of all the phrases in the English language, of all the endless combinations of words, that 'Cellar Door' was the most beautiful.

I agree that "cellar door", with almost any English-speaking accent, sounds very beautiful if you take away the meaning.

The combination of the soft "ce" and then the hardness of "door" make it the most appealing phrase in the English language. Just say it, don't picture what it means, but just think of the pronunciation of the word.

It's beautiful isn't it?
?????
that is pretty interesting godfather. i think that if you say it softly then it sounds like some foreign language. maybe it sounds french?!? thats pretty cool though, thank you for sharing.
The most beautiful combination of words to me would be "pitchers and catchers report."
Its funny when you think of the meaning and you are trying to say it beutifully.
Somebody needs some female companionship. LOL

Actually, I can see GF sitting by himself somewhere trying out words and phrases and clauses, turning them over in his mind, saying them outloud and judging the beauty of them.

... tree house
... two point conversion
... Fernando Tatis
... acute angina

LOL j/k GF Big Grin
Actually, it's been said that several authors believed this, Probably the most famous being J.R.R Tolkein.

So, no, I cannot take the credit for this one. Sorry BM.
I tend to disagree.

Wet T shirt.
Free beer

Happy hour

who wants this last piece of pizza?
The Godfather Wrote:Actually, it's been said that several authors believed this, Probably the most famous being J.R.R Tolkein.

So, no, I cannot take the credit for this one. Sorry BM.

No, but I could see the philosophical theorist in you pondering over the concept at great length. Big Grin
I did think about it for, oh, 30 minutes last night.
LOL the first time u heard about this was in Donnie Darko this kinda made me ponder also. I like it when they are talking about the smurfs lol :-) also when they talk about worm holes :-) and also the music
Darko reminded me of it last night, but my AP English teacher Mrs. Scott, senior year was the one who taught me about it first.
oh well they actually say this in the movie when they are in the class room with the english teacher then at the end of the movie they go into the the basement through the celler door if u didnt notice
Yes, I know, I just saw it.Smile