Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: A Retrospective Look back at the year 1982 from an Old School Corbin Redhound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In 1982, I was a sophomore in college at EKU in Richmond. It was an exciting time to be in Richmond, as Corbin's Steve Bird and Pineville's Tuck Woolum was leading the Colonels to their second I-AA national championship in four seasons under Corbin native and Hall of Famer, Roy Kidd. The Colonels bested Delaware in the title game.  Bird and the Colonels also won the national title in 1979, defeating Lehigh in the championship. They were runners-up in 1980, losing a close two-point affair to Boise State. 

I had plenty of hair back then as well as a well-sculpted six-pack and a fun social life on a fun campus.  Almost forty years later, most of the hair has said goodbye, the only six-pack now resides in the refrigerator, and the social life has given way to social security.

Also, back at home in 1982, the Corbin Redhounds, under second year coach, Larry "Cotton" Adams won the AA state championship trophy, defeating a heavily-favored Fort Campbell team 16-7 in Cardinal Stadium in Louisville.   Adams had taken over in 1981 for Archie Powers, who lead the Hounds to AA state championships in 1976 and 1980 and a runner-up finish in 1977. 

Sadly, the 1982 crown was the very last one that the Redhound varsity has claimed . Thirty-nine years and not a single state title for a school and a community that boasts of being a football powerhouse and a football town. It's almost unfathomable. 

In order to gain a proper perspective on just how long ago 1982 was, let's climb aboard the time machine train and head back to '82. Mr Cox, Mr  Jewell, Mr Wilson,  Redhound Varsity Club members,  "good ol' boy"  club members...climb aboard and take the trip back in time with us.  You need the perspective!!!

Thirty-nine years is a long time. It is half of a human being's life expectancy.   Let's do a little math that's rather frightening.  If you start at 1982 and count backwards thirty-nine years, you end up back at  1943 . That's right,  from 1982 until now is the equivalent amount of time that elapsed  from 1943  to 1982 .

Let's start with some consumer numbers and then we'll go on to music and entertainment .

In 1982 :

** The year end DOW closed at 1046                     ** Tomatoes were  39 cents a pound

** A gallon of gas was  91 cents                            ** A big bag of cheese puffs cost  89 cents

** The average new car price was  $7983              ** A new GMC pickup truck  was $5400

** A postage stamp was  20 cents                        ** A loaf of white bread was 50 cents

Sponsoring this portion of the trip back to 1982 is the before-mentioned Redhound Varsity Club .

Current board members are:

Darrell Barton
Jody Botner
Ron & Donna Bowling
Ronnie Bowling, Jr.
Ken & Joann Cobb
Don & Cindy Creech
Mark Daniel
Andrew Davis
Zem Delk

Larry & Mary Freeman
Travis Freeman
Phil Gregory
Henry & Linda Hamblin
Jimmy Hendrickson
Kathy Hinkle
Bill Hoover 
Joe House
David Huff
Rex Huff
John & Kathy Jones
David Keck
Delbert Mabe
Mike & Robin Mahan
Terry & Karen Martin
Wayne & Judy Martin
David Myers
Allen Onkst
Winston Phipps 
Helen Pierce
Marlon Sams
Mark & Wendy Shepard
Mike & Margaret Sparks
Paul Taylor 
and, of course ...

Dorotha Weber(President)

In 1982:

**Michael Jackson released his second solo album , " Thriller"

** The first episode of "Late Night w/David Letterman" aired on NBC

** The movie "E.T. "  debuted at the box office

** The first issue of USA TODAY was published

** Porky's , Rocky III, On Golden Pond, Poltergeist , and Chariots of Fire were showing in theatres

** The Weather Channel aired for the first time

** Tommy Tutone was dialing up Jenny at "867-5309"

Other newsworthy events in 1982(the last year my Redhounds won a state title):

**Breakup of AT&T was ordered

**The third mission of Space Shuttle Columbia was launched

** Doctor's performed the first artificial heart implant

** Leonid Breshnev, leader of the former Soviet Union , died in office

**Pluto was still a freaking planet

** Magnum P.I. , Dynasty, and Knight Rider were on the tube

** The very first CD player sold in Japan

** The TIME "Man of the Year" was THE COMPUTER

The top 10 Billboard songs for 1982:

1      "Physical"  Olivia Newton-John
2 "Eye of the Tiger" Survivor
3 "I Love Rock 'n Roll" Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
4 "Ebony and Ivory" Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder
5 "Centerfold" The J. Geils Band
6 "Don't You Want Me" The Human League
7 "Jack & Diane" John Cougar
8 "Hurts So Good" John Cougar
9 "Abracadabra" Steve Miller Band
10 "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" Chicago

Redhound did you travel to Prestonsburg on last night Friday 40 years ago for a playoff win? Darrin Steely with 3 touchdowns in the win. Matt Church & Steve Jewell second team and first team all state players. Did you see Rick Hensley play for Cawood. He is a special player more people need to know about being a 3 sport star.
(11-20-2021, 07:27 PM)wheeler Wrote: [ -> ]Redhound did you travel to Prestonsburg on last night Friday 40 years ago for a playoff win? Darrin Steely with 3 touchdowns in the win. Matt Church & Steve Jewell second team and first team all state players. Did you see Rick Hensley play for Cawood. He is a special player more people need to know about being a 3 sport star.
The Steely boys were great athletes. Tough as shoe leather.
(11-20-2021, 09:27 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2021, 07:27 PM)wheeler Wrote: [ -> ]Redhound did you travel to Prestonsburg on last night Friday 40 years ago for a playoff win? Darrin Steely with 3 touchdowns in the win. Matt Church & Steve Jewell second team and first team all state players. Did you see Rick Hensley play for Cawood. He is a special player more people need to know about being a 3 sport star.
The Steely boys were great athletes. Tough as shoe leather.

Old school you should give me a call. I am ready to talk.

These people came into the world in 1982(the last time Corbin won a state title in football):

** Ben Roethlisberger
** Dwyane Wade
** Yadier Molina
** Danica Patrick
** Kelly Clarkson
**Prince William
**Lil Wayne

Justin Haddix was still unknown to the world in 1982 because he hadn't been born.
(11-20-2021, 09:48 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]These people came into the world in 1982(the last time Corbin won a state title in football):

** Ben Roethlisberger
** Dwyane Wade
** Yadier Molina
** Danica Patrick
** Kelly Clarkson
**Prince William
**Lil Wayne

Justin Haddix was still unknown to the world in 1982 because he hadn't been born.

I was 2
I was at EKU in ‘82. It was a glorious time to be 19!
Roy Kidd ruled football in Kentucky. The Family Dog and First Street in Richmond were awesome!
The girls were fun, no political correctness. Everything was simple.
I was a Sophomore at EKU that year as well. Special times.

I remember how tough that Corbin team was. They caught fire at the right time.

To be honest they were given a little boost by Boyle. Oh the Hounds beat the Rebels in the Regional. But more importantly Boyle had upset Somerset for their only loss of the year 28-27. If memory serves the Bunnies had beat Corbin by a couple of TD’s that season. Honestly think Somerset was the best team in ‘82 but as they say, it’s says Corbin on the Trophy.
Oh the good days. Highlands won AAA Championship and Christian Co (who Highlands beat that year) won AAAA Championship. Who won A championship that year? Back when MTV played music videos and world didn’t seem so crazy.
(11-20-2021, 10:24 PM)German Eye Wrote: [ -> ]I was at EKU in ‘82. It was a glorious time to be 19!
Roy Kidd ruled football in Kentucky. The Family Dog and First Street in Richmond were awesome!
OMG I was at UK then and we could take a roll of dimes to Richmond and drink all night lol...
(11-20-2021, 11:06 PM)Hatz Wrote: [ -> ]I was a Sophomore at EKU that year as well. Special times.

I remember how tough that Corbin team was. They caught fire at the right time.

To be honest they were given a little boost by Boyle. Oh the Hounds beat the Rebels in the Regional. But more importantly Boyle had upset Somerset for their only loss of the year 28-27. If memory serves the Bunnies had beat Corbin by a couple of TD’s that season. Honestly think Somerset was the best team in ‘82 but as they say, it’s says Corbin on the Trophy.

Came here to say, the Redhounds should've sent Boyle Co. a gift basket for 1982.  Big Grin

Happens every year though. Sometimes it takes more than just the ball bouncing your way to get it done.
(11-20-2021, 10:24 PM)German Eye Wrote: [ -> ]I was at EKU in ‘82. It was a glorious time to be 19!

I sill have family in Richmond so I go there at least a couple of times a month but I long for those days of '82.  The whole town was just abuzz with excitement about the Colonels. My guys, Steve Bird and Tuck Woolum were household names around town.  You couldn't hardly drive through downtown on Thursday night for the masses of college kids partying at their favorite watering holes on First Street. Corbin native, Roy Kidd, was the best football coach in KY and already a legend in the coaching ranks. I lived about a mile off campus, close to downtown. It was a fun time to live there.

(11-22-2021, 02:50 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]
OMG I was at UK then and we could take a roll of dimes to Richmond and drink all night lol...

From 1982:

At halftime of their '82 season finale, the 4-4 Redhounds trailed AT district rival Middlesboro 21-0...when only district champs made the playoffs. They came back to beat the Jackets 22-21 and went on to win state. Crazy.

IMO, Middlesboro and Somerset were the two best teams in AA that season, but Corbin won the title. KHSAA realignment then put all three teams in the same district in '83.
(11-22-2021, 11:49 AM)Gitback Coach Wrote: [ -> ]At halftime of their '82 season finale, the 4-4 Redhounds trailed AT district rival Middlesboro 21-0...when only district champs made the playoffs. They came back to beat the Jackets 22-21 and went on to win state. Crazy.

IMO, Middlesboro and Somerset were the two best teams in AA that season, but Corbin won the title. KHSAA realignment then put all three teams in the same district in '83.

I remember the MBoro game well. I was there.  Down 21-0 at halftime, our fans were pissed. Already calling for the heads of the coaching staff. Unbelievable second half comeback.  That was the true turning point of the season.  Greg Duncum was QB of that team and Steve Jewell was a standout lineman.  I think we lost the first three or four games that season, Bryan Station, Madison Central, and Danville, I think, were three of them.  We had beaten Glasgow handily in the regular season and that's who we ended up playing in the state final, winning 18-6.

(11-22-2021, 11:49 AM)Gitback Coach Wrote: [ -> ]At halftime of their '82 season finale, the 4-4 Redhounds trailed AT district rival Middlesboro 21-0...when only district champs made the playoffs. They came back to beat the Jackets 22-21 and went on to win state. Crazy.

The '82 and '76 games at MBoro were two of my all-time favorites. The '76 game pitted , what I feel, were two of the very best teams in all of Kentucky. With a Horvath field goal Corbin eeked out a 10-9 win and win on to beat Mayfield for the state title. The '76 affair in MBoro was the game in which I almost got knifed afterwards because the guy I rode to the game with thought it was a good idea to taunt a couple of Jacket fans after the Corbin win. Thank goodness RC Thomas was a Good Samaritan(LOL) and saved my @ss that day.
(11-20-2021, 05:13 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]In 1982, I was a sophomore in college at EKU in Richmond. It was an exciting time to be in Richmond, as Corbin's Steve Bird and Pineville's Tuck Woolum was leading the Colonels to their second I-AA national championship in four seasons under Corbin native and Hall of Famer, Roy Kidd. The Colonels bested Delaware in the title game.  Bird and the Colonels also won the national title in 1979, defeating Lehigh in the championship. They were runners-up in 1980, losing a close two-point affair to Boise State. 

I had plenty of hair back then as well as a well-sculpted six-pack and a fun social life on a fun campus.  Almost forty years later, most of the hair has said goodbye, the only six-pack now resides in the refrigerator, and the social life has given way to social security.

Also, back at home in 1982, the Corbin Redhounds, under second year coach, Larry "Cotton" Adams won the AA state championship trophy, defeating a heavily-favored Fort Campbell team 16-7 in Cardinal Stadium in Louisville.   Adams had taken over in 1981 for Archie Powers, who lead the Hounds to AA state championships in 1976 and 1980 and a runner-up finish in 1977. 

Sadly, the 1982 crown was the very last one that the Redhound varsity has claimed . Thirty-nine years and not a single state title for a school and a community that boasts of being a football powerhouse and a football town. It's almost unfathomable. 

In order to gain a proper perspective on just how long ago 1982 was, let's climb aboard the time machine train and head back to '82. Mr Cox, Mr  Jewell, Mr Wilson,  Redhound Varsity Club members,  "good ol' boy"  club members...climb aboard and take the trip back in time with us.  You need the perspective!!!

Thirty-nine years is a long time. It is half of a human being's life expectancy.   Let's do a little math that's rather frightening.  If you start at 1982 and count backwards thirty-nine years, you end up back at  1943 . That's right,  from 1982 until now is the equivalent amount of time that elapsed  from 1943  to 1982 .

Let's start with some consumer numbers and then we'll go on to music and entertainment .

In 1982 :

** The year end DOW closed at 1046                     ** Tomatoes were  39 cents a pound

** A gallon of gas was  91 cents                            ** A big bag of cheese puffs cost  89 cents

** The average new car price was  $7983              ** A new GMC pickup truck  was $5400

** A postage stamp was  20 cents                        ** A loaf of white bread was 50 cents

Sponsoring this portion of the trip back to 1982 is the before-mentioned Redhound Varsity Club .

Current board members are:

Darrell Barton
Jody Botner
Ron & Donna Bowling
Ronnie Bowling, Jr.
Ken & Joann Cobb
Don & Cindy Creech
Mark Daniel
Andrew Davis
Zem Delk

Larry & Mary Freeman
Travis Freeman
Phil Gregory
Henry & Linda Hamblin
Jimmy Hendrickson
Kathy Hinkle
Bill Hoover 
Joe House
David Huff
Rex Huff
John & Kathy Jones
David Keck
Delbert Mabe
Mike & Robin Mahan
Terry & Karen Martin
Wayne & Judy Martin
David Myers
Allen Onkst
Winston Phipps 
Helen Pierce
Marlon Sams
Mark & Wendy Shepard
Mike & Margaret Sparks
Paul Taylor 
and, of course ...

Dorotha Weber(President)

In 1982:

**Michael Jackson released his second solo album , " Thriller"

** The first episode of "Late Night w/David Letterman" aired on NBC

** The movie "E.T. "  debuted at the box office

** The first issue of USA TODAY was published

** Porky's , Rocky III, On Golden Pond, Poltergeist , and Chariots of Fire were showing in theatres

** The Weather Channel aired for the first time

** Tommy Tutone was dialing up Jenny at "867-5309"

Other newsworthy events in 1982(the last year my Redhounds won a state title):

**Breakup of AT&T was ordered

**The third mission of Space Shuttle Columbia was launched

** Doctor's performed the first artificial heart implant

** Leonid Breshnev, leader of the former Soviet Union , died in office

**Pluto was still a freaking planet

** Magnum P.I. ,  Dynasty, and Knight Rider were on the tube

** The very first CD player sold in Japan

** The TIME "Man of the Year" was  THE COMPUTER

The top 10 Billboard songs for 1982:

1      "Physical"  Olivia Newton-John
2 "Eye of the Tiger" Survivor
3 "I Love Rock 'n Roll" Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
4 "Ebony and Ivory" Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder
5 "Centerfold" The J. Geils Band
6 "Don't You Want Me" The Human League
7 "Jack & Diane" John Cougar
8 "Hurts So Good" John Cougar
9 "Abracadabra" Steve Miller Band
10 "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" Chicago

I recognized a few names there, that I didn't even know were members Smile
(11-22-2021, 02:50 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]

I remember going to several bars at Richmond in one night. Do they not have as many bars now? lol
Back in '82, one of my songs was Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science." ( I was a science guy so of course that was one of my go to tunes).  Met this chick downtown that I wanted to get freaky with.  Put the song on and said ,"baby, why don't you blind me with me with science. "   B****  drops about five Mentos into my two liter of diet coke and points it right at my face. Not the fizzy eruption I was hoping for. Goes without saying , I never gave her the time of day(or night) again. Never played Dolby for a girl again.

Big Grin Thats funny right there now!
(11-22-2021, 07:41 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]Big Grin Thats funny right there now!

Of all the girls I could hit on in downtown Richmond on a Thursday night, I would just have to pick one that majored in chemistry. Just my damned luck!!!  It's hard to listen to that song anymore.
(11-22-2021, 09:04 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2021, 07:41 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]Big Grin Thats funny right there now!

Of all the girls I could hit on in downtown Richmond on a Thursday night, I would just have to pick one that majored in chemistry. Just my damned luck!!!  It's hard to listen to that song anymore.

Love is Blind.
I have the record in Richmond I got kicked out of the family dog, J Sutters and Mark 4 all in one night and then we ( soccer team) got in the Cumberland College van and went back to Williamsburg.
(11-22-2021, 11:10 PM)cherokee Wrote: [ -> ]I have the record in Richmond I got kicked out of the family dog, J Sutters and Mark 4 all in one night and then we ( soccer team) got in the Cumberland College van and went back to Williamsburg.

NICE!!!

Cumberland College representing...LOVE IT!!!!

Wish we had a time machine that would take us back to the eighties for one weekend!!!

(11-22-2021, 10:55 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]

Love is Blind.

That's the understatement of the century, Dougie .  LOL
(11-22-2021, 11:10 PM)cherokee Wrote: [ -> ]I have the record in Richmond I got kicked out of the family dog, J Sutters and Mark 4 all in one night and then we ( soccer team) got in the Cumberland College van and went back to Williamsburg.

Those names seem familiar. Seems like there was one called Silver Star, and an after hours bar called something Cherry? that I went to to drink a few more and sober up. lol
(11-22-2021, 11:18 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]

NICE!!!

Cumberland College representing...LOVE IT!!!!

Wish we had a time machine that would take us back to the eighties for one weekend!!!

(11-22-2021, 10:55 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]

Love is Blind.

That's the understatement of the century, Dougie .  LOL
LOL!
(11-22-2021, 11:35 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]

Those names seem familiar. Seems like there was one called Silver Star, and an after hours bar called something Cherry? that I went to to drink a few more and sober up. lol

Cherry Pit.  Finding a cherry in there was like finding a needle in haystack.
(11-22-2021, 11:50 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2021, 11:35 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]

Cherry Pit.  Finding a cherry in there was like finding a needle in haystack.

Yeah, that's it.I won some money and had a few more to drink. I had already found a cherry. lol