Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Covington Catholic @ Woodford County 11/19 5A 3rd Round Playoffs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Covington Catholic vs Woodford County

Covington Catholic (9-3)
Aug 20, 21 Elder (Cincinnati), OH (L) 6 - 28 
Aug 27, 21 Belfry away (W) 42 - 13  Pike County Bowl 
Sep 3, 21 Lexington Catholic home (L) 27 - 34 
Sep 10, 21 Dixie Heights home (W) 24 - 8 
Sep 17, 21 Beechwood away (L) 7 - 27 
Sep 24, 21 Cooper home (W) 31 - 24  (quadruple overtime) 
Oct 1, 21 Boone County home (W) 39 - 6 
Oct 8, 21 Open 0 - 0 
Oct 15, 21 Highlands away (W) 8 - 7 
Oct 22, 21 Conner away (W) 27 - 7 
Oct 29, 21 Ryle home (W) 10 - 3 
Nov 5, 21 Highlands home (W) 38 - 8  Class 5A 2021 UK Orthopaedics State Football Finals 
Nov 12, 21 Conner home (W) 35 - 14  Class 5A 2021 UK Orthopaedics State Football Finals

Woodford County (12-0)
Aug 20, 21 Glasgow away (W) 56 - 0  Don Franklin Scottie Bowl 
Aug 27, 21 Campbell County away (W) 34 - 13 
Sep 3, 21 Paul Laurence Dunbar home (W) 62 - 12 
Sep 10, 21 Tates Creek away (W) 1 - 0 - COVID Cancelation - RPI per policy 
Sep 17, 21 Franklin County home (W) 24 - 21 
Sep 24, 21 Open 0 - 0 
Oct 1, 21 West Jessamine home (W) 60 - 14 
Oct 8, 21 Madison Southern away (W) 56 - 20 
Oct 15, 21 Collins home (W) 64 - 21 
Oct 22, 21 East Jessamine away (W) 54 - 7 
Oct 29, 21 Simon Kenton home (W) 50 - 13 
Nov 5, 21 Madison Southern home (W) 36 - 7 Class 5A 2021 UK Orthopaedics State Football Finals 
Nov 12, 21 West Jessamine home (W) 51 - 16  Class 5A 2021 UK Orthopaedics State Football Finals

Congratulations on winning your District Championships!
Good luck to both teams!
Thoughts?
Dennis has Woodford playing great ball. I'll take Woodford by 2tds
Woodford’s schedule was awful and I don’t think they will be ready for a quality team like Cov Cath. Add in Woodford likes to run the ball and run defense is cov Cath’s strength and Cov Cath is playing their best now. I like Cov Cath by 14 or more.
Looking at results from woodford’s game with Campbell county, I would place them on level near Cooper, Highlands, and Conner. Cov Cath put those teams away easily
I watched a video and they intervied the coach of Woodford County. I think it was Big things KY. I like them guys. I have been a fan of them ever since. I like that Coach they have up there and thats why Woodford is done a 360 in a short time.
This matchup has possibilities to be one of the best games in the state.

I’m taking Woodford in an upset. Like 24-21 type score.
We find out this week if WC is real or counterfeit. A lot of team could go 12-0 with their schedule. I’m going with experience in this game both with players and staff. Eddie will have CC ready and they are in this game year after year. I still like WC QB Bryce Patterson, great kid with live arm and super high football IQ. He could be the difference maker if they let him loose.
People talk about Woodford's schedule but they won those games. Cov Cath played four good teams ( Elder, Beechwood, Lex Cath, Ryle) and ended up 1-3 in those games. I am no fan whatsoever of Woodford but they are dangerous and have some dudes.
(11-14-2021, 10:25 PM)Hogs02 Wrote: [ -> ]People talk about Woodford's schedule but they won those games. Cov Cath played four good teams ( Elder, Beechwood, Lex Cath, Ryle) and ended up 1-3 in those games. I am no fan whatsoever of Woodford but they are dangerous and have some dudes.
Beechwood and Ryle would thump WC. Lex Cath would be a good game. Don’t know about Elder. The Lex Cath game is a head scratcher with CC.
(11-14-2021, 10:25 PM)Hogs02 Wrote: [ -> ]People talk about Woodford's schedule but they won those games. Cov Cath played four good teams ( Elder, Beechwood, Lex Cath, Ryle) and ended up 1-3 in those games. I am no fan whatsoever of Woodford but they are dangerous and have some dudes.
Cooper, Conner and Highlands are probably better than any team Woodford played and Cov Cath handled them fairly easily. Lex Cath game was early and I feel Cov Cath was still finding their identity. Not a fan of Cov Cath and would like to see Woodford win but don’t see it happening
Cov cath lost to a perennial power in the gcl. It was the first game of the season and they had many new faces on the field. The cov cath defense sis not cover screens or the flats in the first half. Elder’s QB is mobile and scampered all over in the second half. Cov cath has progressed since that point. The loss to lex cath falls squarely on the cch coaching staff. Great guys and they are phenomenal at what they do….but Lex Cath’s staff is one of the best as well. Lex cath kept fighting and made the colonels pay for their mistakes. Beechwood has a 5 year, returning mister football who ran all over them. Beechwood is loaded and could likely play with almost anyone in the state. I don’t know much about woodford, but if their qb can scramble and run the ball, I think they will have greater success than trying to line up and hand the ball off. Cov caths defense is playing extremely well at all levels. Their offensive line is playing well as a unit too. Does woodford have big guys? Or are they the strong, but quicker type?
Are the Cov Cath faithful going to be up in arms about the reclassified players for Woodford, like they were up in arms about the ones for Beechwood? I believe WC has 7-8 players that took advantage of SB-128.
(11-15-2021, 04:59 PM)KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote: [ -> ]Are the Cov Cath faithful going to be up in arms about the reclassified players for Woodford, like they were up in arms about the ones for Beechwood? I believe WC has 7-8 players that took advantage of SB-128.
To my knowledge none of them were seniors last year so it’s a non factor. From my understanding a bulk of them were in coming seniors in 21.
(11-15-2021, 08:17 PM)Tigerallamerican Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-15-2021, 04:59 PM)KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote: [ -> ]Are the Cov Cath faithful going to be up in arms about the reclassified players for Woodford, like they were up in arms about the ones for Beechwood? I believe WC has 7-8 players that took advantage of SB-128.
To my knowledge none of them were seniors last year so it’s a non factor. From my understanding a bulk of them were in coming seniors in 21.

I believe they had one senior do it, and 7 underclassmen. It was a joke, because CCH fans lost their minds when Beechwood allowed reclassified players. They too had one senior come back, and about 7-8 underclassmen.
(11-15-2021, 04:59 PM)JKentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote: [ -> ]Are the Cov Cath faithful going to be up in arms about the reclassified players for Woodford, like they were up in arms about the ones for Beechwood? I believe WC has 7-8 players that took advantage of SB-128.
That’s a real shame. I’m not up in arms about anything, I’m just pointing out the abject stupidity of sb-128. I truly have sympathy for anyone who unfortunately went that route. Literally nothing positive will come from unnecessarily attending high school for 5 years. It’s a shame that Kentucky chose be be the only state in the union to do something so ridiculously stupid.

(11-15-2021, 09:10 PM)KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-15-2021, 08:17 PM)Tigerallamerican Wrote: [ -> ]

I believe they had one senior do it, and 7 underclassmen. It was a joke, because CCH fans lost their minds when Beechwood allowed reclassified players. They too had one senior come back, and about 7-8 underclassmen.
No offense…..but you quite literally have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. It’s actually embarrassing, but you keep being you champ.
The "do over" concept was a ridiculous idea. If state was going to allow kids to repeat, then it should not have included an extra year of extracurriculars but rather academics only.
(11-16-2021, 10:16 PM)Iggyfan Wrote: [ -> ]The "do over" concept was a ridiculous idea. If state was going to allow kids to repeat, then it should not have included an extra year of extracurriculars but rather academics only.
Agreed wholeheartedly….but it had absolutely nothing to do with academics which is even more absurd.
If Dennis is anything like his father alvis Johnson I guarantee his team will be ready to play. When I played for alvis we had a bunch of injuries and only dressed a team of 19 players was a big under dog and only lost one game all year. We came out with a chip on our shoulders and took care of business. That being said I look for Woodford to do the same no disrespect to covington catholic they have a great team but Woodford is on a mission. They may not win the state but them young men are playing their butts off.
Game Day!!!
(11-18-2021, 03:19 AM)True pioneer Wrote: [ -> ]If Dennis is anything like his father alvis Johnson I guarantee his team will be ready to play. When I played for alvis we had a bunch of injuries and only dressed a team of 19 players was a big under dog and only lost one game all year. We came out with a chip on our shoulders and took care of business.  That being said I look for Woodford to do the same no disrespect to covington catholic they have a great team but Woodford is on a mission.  They may not win the state but them young men are playing their butts off.
Dennis played for Harrodsburg and eventually Uk back in the 90’s didn’t he? If so, dude was a beast! How long has he coached at Woodford county?
If I'm correct I think he took over Woodford in 2015. I know he really struggled his first 3 year only winning a couple games a year and I remember one season of not winning a game. He has done a great job there.
(11-19-2021, 12:23 PM)True pioneer Wrote: [ -> ]If I'm correct I think  he took over Woodford in 2015. I know he really struggled his first 3 year only winning  a couple games a year and I remember one season of not winning a game. He has done a great job there.
Sometimes it takes a little while to right the ship. Culture doesn’t change over night. Good for him. Seems like he is on the right path.
If he is building this program right from elementary school to middle school then the future is bright for Woodford County.
Woodford punts after their first drive gets into Cov Cath territory.

End of 1Q

Woodford County up 7-0.

TD run by Woodford's Jackson Geilear.

TD on kickoff return by Cov Cath's Zion Mason.

Woodford Co. 14
Cov Cath 7

7:40 2Q

Halftime

Woodford County 14
Covington Catholic 7
21-7 Woodford Co.
Any updates