Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Green County @ Mayfield 11/19 2A 3rd Round Playoffs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Green County vs Mayfield

Green County (11-1)
Aug 20, 21 Open 0 - 0 
Aug 27, 21 Nelson County home (W) 40 - 0 
Sep 3, 21 Hart County away (W) 38 - 13 
Sep 10, 21 Taylor County home (W) 36 - 19 
Sep 17, 21 Monroe County home (W) 36 - 7 
Sep 24, 21 Clinton County home (W) 58 - 6 
Oct 1, 21 Campbellsville away (W) 34 - 10 
Oct 8, 21 Warren Central away (W) 42 - 20
Oct 15, 21 Edmonson County away (W) 42 - 7 
Oct 22, 21 Metcalfe County away (L) 26 - 28 
Oct 29, 21 Todd County Central home (W) 14 - 0 
Nov 5, 21 Monroe County home (W) 40 - 7  Class 2A 2021 UK Orthopaedics State Football Finals 
Nov 12, 21 Metcalfe County away (W) 32 - 12  Class 2A 2021 UK Orthopaedics State Football Finals

Mayfield (11-1)
Aug 20, 21 Graves County home (W) 35 - 21 
Aug 27, 21 Hopkinsville away (W) 21 - 3 
Sep 3, 21 Paducah Tilghman away (W) 42 - 28 
Sep 10, 21 McCracken County home (W) 32 - 14 
Sep 17, 21 Calloway County home (W) 56 - 13 
Sep 24, 21 Fort Campbell away (W) 55 - 0 
Oct 1, 21 Caldwell County away (W) 35 - 16 
Oct 8, 21 Open 0 - 0
Oct 15, 21 Ballard Memorial home (W) 70 - 6 
Oct 22, 21 Murray home (L) 21 - 25 
Oct 29, 21 Madisonville-North Hopkins away (W) 50 - 23 
Nov 5, 21 Ballard Memorial home (W) 60 - 0  Class 2A 2021 UK Orthopaedics State Football Finals 
Nov 12, 21 Murray home (W) 55 - 6 Class 2A 2021 UK Orthopaedics State Football Finals

Congratulations for winning your District Championships!
Good luck to both teams!
Thoughts?
Mayfield, big
Mayfield don't let me down!

Mayfield 42
Green County 21
Mayfield wins

35-17
Mayfield 42-6. Green Co hasn’t seen the speed across the board that they will see in this game. Green Co is big but slow.
Interesting facts:
Mayfield has had the tougher schedule of the 2.
Both teams are 11-1.
Both teams avenged their only loss in the second round of the playoffs.
Mayfield’s opponents record is 56-77.
Green Co opponents record is 48-83.
Green Co has played the team with the highest RPI on either schedule in Taylor Co (3a) and won convincingly.
Green Co has played no one above 3a size.
Mayfield has played teams in 3,4,5&6a.
Green Co has only had 4 games with teams that have not gotten a losing record. Mayfield has 6.
The average score for Green Co is 37-11.
The average score for Mayfield is 44-13.
These 2 teams have only played once. It was in the regional finals of, I believe 75, and Green Co won that one.
Mayfield
In watching video of Green Co, I suspect this will be a big eye opener for the state at the difference between the top 3 teams in 2a and the rest of the field. Green Co at 11-1 and currently the 5th highest RPI, should get exposed. I really don’t see any way Mayfield could have a close game with the Dragons short of the Cards playing like they did against Murray in the regular season.
Cards 21 but more likely 28+
Mayfield 35-14
Something has to give in this one. Here’s a look at the numbers:
Mayfield’s offense is #3 in 2a averaging 44.3 points per game.
Green County’s defense is #2 in 2a only allowing 10.8 points per game.

Green county’s offense is #7 in 2a averaging 35.5 points per game.
Mayfield’s defense is #4 in 2a only allowing 12.9 points per game.

Mayfield averages 185 yards per game rushing. Green County only allows 84 yards per game rushing.

Green County averages 320 yards per game rushing. Mayfield defense only allows 67 yards per game rushing.

Mayfield spends a lot of time passing the ball. Green County defense has sacked opposing qb’s 38 times this year and logged 9 interceptions.

It will be interesting to see how these numbers get skewed this week.
Mayfield rolls. Green County has played no one.
Mayfield may not always be the best team in this class but they are always there in the mix and it's not just talk, they do it by getting every kid in Mayfield to dream of playing with that Plain Red Helmet on their head.
Those plain red helmets keep Mayfield grounded in the old school football we used to play.Used to be the wishbone with a play action pass to keep defense honest.It served us well untill we played NCC in champioship game they used the sspread and bombed us.Coach Joe knew we had to keep up so we used the spread offense after that and the rest is history both offenses served Mayfield well!!!!
85 and 86 MHS played NCC and won both meetings so maybe your referring to a different year I not sure. But on this game and this year and this thread I will be going with the cardinals closer than many think. The Cardinals for sure have the weapons to make points in a hurray but have not shown the ability to bring their A+ game week in and week out. The Dragons can play ground control to keep scoring down or try to. The Cardinal D plays outstanding as last week will be long night for Dragons but a let down and could be a ballgame.
He is referring to the 2005 state championship against NCC. 42-7. We couldn’t keep pace.
Ah I do remember that now but as always like to forget those
Mayfield wasn't running the wishbone in 2005! Some Mayfield fans may have been hit in the head too many times. It wouldn't have mattered what offense they ran against NCC in 2005. That was a cold rainy butt kicking.
(11-18-2021, 02:25 AM)mysonis55 Wrote: [ -> ]He is referring to the 2005 state championship against NCC. 42-7. We couldn’t keep pace.

That NCC team was something else. No real superstar athletes, just big, physical and didn't make any mistakes.
I want Green County to win but Mayfield is the pick here and it won't be close.
The Cardinal teams focus has been very good this week. With having some insight to the teams moral and focus. This Mayfield squad is ready and peaking at the right time. CARDS ROLL!!!!
Game Day!!!
Bring it, IF, GC can control the line of scrimmage and eat clock, this game could be close, but if they can’t, and I dint think they can, mayfield could turn this into a rout.