Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hazard 31 Somerset 0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final.
Made the short drive from Hyden to go watch this game. Kind of wanted to know if Somerset had turned a corner or if it was a fluke.

Turns out, fluke.

I’m probably gonna make some Somerset fans a little salty. Oh well, going to have to take my birthday away I guess.

Somerset defense isn’t bad. Poor tackling by linebackers/corners/safeties but they were also on the field so much that with a short bench, the kids are exhausted. Maybe that’s a small school problem but they really drop off after their starters. Front line doesn’t look bad and outside a couple big runs they played ok.  Maybe they’re young. I’d have to look on the roster and figure it out.

Regardless, they don’t have an offense that is playing to the strengths of their players and putting up abysmal numbers. Didn’t they have a tall lanky kid that has great speed at the beginning of the year? He out for the season? I know he broke one early in the season but his number escapes me.

Here’s some of the problem : the line holds block for pass plays (mostly) but they don’t create holes to run in. (Or tonight they didn’t) The receivers don’t create space. They run decent routes but don’t create space on defenders. That could be youth. Maybe. QB stares down receivers and misses progression. But the one thing that perplexes me , how the play calling makes an ounce of sense. I watched them call more screen passes and outside runs for no real gain. Maybe that’s the safe calls, but if you’re losing, what are you losing not teaching a wide open play book? I feel bad for their kids as they can’t be thrilled.

Look, I hear that their head coach is a class act but he’s got some coaches that aren’t helping him win football games especially on the offensive side. Do they have the horses? Not like they’ve seen over the past 3 or 4 years, but they’re not so cupboard bare it’s as bad as I watched tonight.

If the offense doesn’t give the defense anything to fight for, the defense will wear out. That’s just simple and plain fact.

I don’t think the HC is the problem, but he needs to address it now before you see kids start to check out mentally or worse, quit/transfer. That’s a problem with many schools. While they may be a couple years off a state title, it doesn’t excuse the fact there’s so little production and that they’re not generating points/yards.

If they don’t get out in front of it, they’re going to possibly watch it self destruct. You could see it in body language in many of their boys tonight.

I better give the Hazard Bulldogs some love. They were the better team tonight.
^You're not going to make a single Somerset fan salty with what you've said here.
Please throw the ball more than 1 time to big 85.. to big abs tall
not to get some throws his way.
(10-02-2021, 01:46 AM)RoShamBo Wrote: [ -> ]^You're not going to make a single Somerset fan salty with what you've said here.

I was trying to be nice. You never know who is reading this thing. 

Maybe they right the ship but it’s headed toward shore. I overheard plenty of grumbling from adults and the body language from the kids is more telling. 

I don’t know if the HC is super loyal to his staff or what but he’s got to make some moves before it costs him a job and legacy. You hate to go out on a downer when you win it all a couple seasons ago. Bad seasons can happen, but this isn’t just a bad season, it’s exposed some bad game preparation. 

Won’t see them again this year, but 2 of their next 3 games are concerning and I’ll just hope from afar they turn it around.
(10-02-2021, 02:03 AM)GreyStoke Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2021, 01:46 AM)RoShamBo Wrote: [ -> ]^You're not going to make a single Somerset fan salty with what you've said here.

Maybe they right the ship but it’s headed toward shore. I overheard plenty of grumbling from adults and the body language from the kids is more telling. 

I don’t know if the HC is super loyal to his staff or what but he’s got to make some moves before it costs him a job and legacy. You hate to go out on a downer when you win it all a couple seasons ago. Bad seasons can happen, but this isn’t just a bad season, it’s exposed some bad game preparation. 

Won’t see them again this year, but 2 of their next 3 games are concerning and I’ll just hope from afar they turn it around.

Most of the staff are former players. They are capable of better. OC is the same guy who called the 2019 title game which was an excellent gameplan against a tough Mayfield team at the time. This year though, we seem to be having trouble wrapping our minds around the fact that we don't have a stable of historically great players to just dump the ball off to.
Your telling the truth. Yes young, but the problems go deeper. As for coaches they have a good staff, but the OC is horrible play calling. Screen, screen, all night every Friday, and doesn't work. Offense to predictable.  Yeah he called a title game, but had the players to run it. He called the same way anyone would of by keeping the ball in the play makers have. Does kids won that title not the OC.
I know it’s not the thing to do, but 46 points through 7 games is all they’ve scored. Given up 236. One thing I do wonder is this, how would that team’s energy have changed if they put points on the board? Anyone at the Williamsburg game and could tell me how they responded once they scored?

I guess you could take away the two biggest games on a hard schedule so far. But seeing the way Paintsville, Williamsburg, Hazard and Lincoln’s seasons are trending…is it that the schedule is hard or is the team that bad? Or are they poorly prepared? Wins are the kids and losses are the coaches? I can’t decide who should get the largest part of the blame for that effort.

Only scoring 46 points in a season doesn’t sound like a state championship level OC is the reason they won it in 2019. Was someone else on staff that helped? Was it the players? Pretty special group is most likely but I can’t really answer that.

Their current QB might not be the problem. Sure, hurts to follow the kid that went to UK but a good OC and staff would’ve prepared better for what they were inheriting.

But alas, I’ve beat this dead horse and their coaching staff and fan base cares very little about what I have to say on a message board.
Is Jordan Doan out for the year? I think Somerset beats Danville next week. Danville will not have their best two players. Corden Crawford and Caleb Burns. Also why can't Somerset get the ball to TE Hawkins, the kid is 6'5. Bet he wishes he stayed at Lexington Catholic.
Congratulations to Hazard!!!
(10-02-2021, 04:45 AM)Footballfan33 Wrote: [ -> ]Is Jordan Doan out for the year? I think Somerset beats Danville next week. Danville will not have their best two players. Corden Crawford and Caleb Burns. Also why can't Somerset get the ball to TE Hawkins, the kid is 6'5. Bet he wishes he stayed at Lexington Catholic.
It's chase doan not Jordan his brother,and yes out for season. They do throw to him a lot, just don't catch it. Great kid,but not the best hands.

(10-02-2021, 03:37 AM)GreyStoke Wrote: [ -> ]I know it’s not the thing to do, but 46 points through 7 games is all they’ve scored. Given up 236. One thing I do wonder is this, how would that team’s energy have changed if they put points on the board? Anyone at the Williamsburg game and could tell me how they responded once they scored?

I guess you could take away the two biggest games on a hard schedule so far. But seeing the way Paintsville, Williamsburg, Hazard and Lincoln’s seasons are trending…is it that the schedule is hard or is the team that bad? Or are they poorly prepared? Wins are the kids and losses are the coaches? I can’t decide who should get the largest part of the blame for that effort.

Only scoring 46 points in a season doesn’t sound like a state championship level OC is the reason they won it in 2019. Was someone else on staff that helped? Was it the players? Pretty special group is most likely but I can’t really answer that.

Their current QB might not be the problem. Sure, hurts to follow the kid that went to UK but a good OC and staff would’ve prepared better for what they were inheriting.

But alas, I’ve beat this dead horse and their coaching staff and fan base cares very little about what I have to say on a message board.
You've said everything all in somerset is. That was a ever special senior class that won state. And they did very little to help the underclassmen  excluding jv games. None. They're not even playing jv.how are kids going to get prepared. Coaches dropped the ball with this group. Very tented but inexperienced, but the play calling has got to go.
Love them Dawgs??

Just opinion here, but if a head coach wins a state title and has had some of the best success of any coach in the bunnies history and anyone even remotely talks about him being let go after one season, even if they lost every game, it's just mind blowing to me.
(10-03-2021, 03:11 AM)smoke1015 Wrote: [ -> ]

Just opinion here, but if a head coach wins a state title and has had some of the best success of any coach in the bunnies history and anyone even remotely talks about him being let go after one season, even if they lost every game, it's just mind blowing to me.
I agree with this. The only issue as far as coaching is OC play calling. I understand last season with covid as far as jv games being canceled,  but this year 0 JV games. This team is very young,but didn't get the attention, or time they needed to be ready for this year. Somerset has a really good staff, just got some things to workout. Big change going from 3 years of talented seniors to 6 seniors that hardly played. Right now the coaches are going to gun fights with a dull knife so to speak.
Gonna find out all ya need to know about Hazard in two weeks. Bulldogs host Pikeville and that game is gonna be interesting.
(10-03-2021, 03:11 AM)smoke1015 Wrote: [ -> ]

Fascinating. 

If this was a (insert your favorite team here), winless after a successful run after a few seasons…would you just be patient enough to just sit back and watch it happen? I’d say the Somerset folks aren’t loving everything nor are they happy about not only losing, but being outscored in 6 games 245 to 46. That’s really the stat to wrap a head around. Worse, two of those games are 34 of the 46. I may not be smart, but that tells me they’ve averaged 3 points a game in the other four games played. Beechwood and Corbin are great, but Paintsville and Hazard held you to 6 combined?

I’d say the seat for someone would start to warm or some tough conversations will be had. Whether the head coach or a coordinator or whatever, it’s warranted. If they were competitive in an 0-10 season, then people would likely be less concerned. They still have to play Danville, LCA and Washington County. They may not score against LCA and if the Danville team is healthy, could be a long night. 

I’d be very concerned if I were a coach and saw the body language on the players I got to witness at Hazard. I need to see about finding any video of the other games too and judge it. 

I have zero dog in the fight, but it’s a recipe for kids to quit / transfer without a single change being made. Whatever it looks like through additional staff or letting some go. 

Hate to say it, but sometimes the stars hide the problems of weak coaches. Seems obvious here to me.
(10-02-2021, 01:44 PM)foozeball80 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-02-2021, 04:45 AM)Footballfan33 Wrote: [ -> ]Is Jordan Doan out for the year? I think Somerset beats Danville next week. Danville will not have their best two players. Corden Crawford and Caleb Burns. Also why can't Somerset get the ball to TE Hawkins, the kid is 6'5. Bet he wishes he stayed at Lexington Catholic.
It's chase doan not Jordan his brother,and yes out for season. They do throw to him a lot, just don't catch it. Great kid,but not the best hands.

(10-02-2021, 03:37 AM)GreyStoke Wrote: [ -> ]I know it’s not the thing to do, but 46 points through 7 games is all they’ve scored. Given up 236. One thing I do wonder is this, how would that team’s energy have changed if they put points on the board? Anyone at the Williamsburg game and could tell me how they responded once they scored?

You've said everything all in somerset is. That was a ever special senior class that won state. And they did very little to help the underclassmen  excluding jv games. None. They're not even playing jv.how are kids going to get prepared. Coaches dropped the ball with this group. Very tented but inexperienced, but the play calling has got to go.
That’s always key! A programs head coach should be an influential part in the development of the programs younger players. It’s a MUST in keeping your team competing at a high level. It seems though that way too many don’t take advantage of the opportunity, which causes their program to have down seasons. The smaller the school the more important it tends to be.