Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shelby Valley 58 Prestonsburg 36
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from Robinson Creek

Game got kind of wild for awhile with both offenses racking up the big plays and touchdowns, but you could tell from about the 2nd quarter on Prestonsburg wasn't going to stop Shelby Valley's offense, mostly Jayden Newsome. He was a manchild tonight. John Luke Fields also had a great game for Valley. SV's play calling was nice. I really enjoy watching them operate when they're clicking like they were tonight. The coaches done a great job getting playmakers the ball in space.

Prestonsburg got a great game out of Ethan Jarvis. The misdirection plays where there all night for him. SV was able to contain Akers. I thought George and Elliott had a good game offensively for Pburg also.

Overall, Prestonsburg made the game competitive with their offense. The defense had a rough game all around. I think they'll learn a lot from this game and may wind up seeing SV again in the playoffs.

Congrats Wildcats!
I really despise the defensive gameplan that Prestonsburg came out in. Valley absolutely killed us with draws and screens.

Not a fan of a 3 man front, especially when you’ve got one playing in a 2pt stance as a wide 9. Just not a great scheme against a team like Valley.

The double handle off counter with Jarvis coming left was a first down every time it was called. Brant George showed great patience waiting on his blockers tonight and it paid off tenfold!
I also thought that getting Dalton Elliott involved more in the outside running game opened things up more.

Carter Akers might’ve been bottled up offensively, but he had a solid game defensively. He’s a great player, and an even better young man.

Gavin Stephens had a few tackles for loss and a strip sack tonight defensively. He’s got to work on his pad level at times, but he’s really improved over the years.

This game film will give both defensive coordinators nightmares.
The Prestonsburg offense is starting to fire on all cylinders. It's a district champion quality offense, IMO. But, the defense looks worse every game. Bad schemes, lack of assignment discipline and bad tackling fundamentals. Defense wins championships, and Prestonsburg doesn't have a defense right now.

SV is kind of in the same boat. Their offense was incredibly tight and explosive tonight. I think they had 3 or 4 TDs called back for silly penalties 20 yards or so behind the play, so if they don't make those mental mistakes then they probably blow Prestonsburg out. Prestonsburg simply couldn't stop them. But, they cannot win the district with a defense that performs the way that they did. They knew that Prestonsburg was not going to throw the ball, giving them the opportunity to put 8-9 men in the box all night, but their gap assignments were terrible, which gave Prestonsburg gashing misdirection plays at will. They were able to stop jet sweep and dives/off tackles most of the night, but I think that's more due to Pburg having 6 people trying to block 8 up front rather than the quality of the SV defense.

Both teams needs to have some soul searching on defensive coaching philosophies and change them, because right now they're broken. Both teams can win the district with their offense, but neither looked like district champs to me last night.
Valley picked the blackcats apart and it seemed like they didn't make any adjustments to it all game