Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: AP Rankings Class 4A Week 6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
AP Rankings Class 4A Week 6. 

1. Corbin 5-0
2. Boyle Co. 5-1 
3. Lex. Catholic 5-1
4. Johnson Central 3-2
5. Lou. Central 3-3
6. Logan Co. 4-2
7. Letcher Co. Central 4-1
8. Franklin Co. 3-3
9. John Hardin 3-3
10. Holmes 4-1

Others receiving votes: 11. Boyd Co., 12. Knox Central, 13. Scott, 14. Warren East, 15. Hopkins Co. Central, 16. Wayne County, 17. Spencer County
Switch 3 ans 4. Drop 7 down 2 spots and move those up. It’d be pretty close
(09-29-2021, 09:37 AM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]Switch 3 ans 4.  Drop 7 down 2 spots and move those up. It’d be pretty close

Sounds about right.
A big drop off after top 4 in my opinion. To me Boyle is still the favorite. It will be interesting to see how the passing of the great Jim Mathney affects Johnson Central.
I would have JC ahead of Lex Cath.
Johnson Central's Mason Lawson, who averaged 143.5 yards/game and 12.5 yards/carry in two games, has been lost for the season. He was also a key player on defense. Combined with the tragic death of Coach Jim Matney, the Golden Eagles have an uphill battle facing them. I think that the #4 ranking is about right, although I can still see an argument for #3. At this point in the season, there is a significant gap between Boyle County/Corbin and the rest of 4A, IMO.
I feel so bad for the JC kids. I just can't imagine. I'm starting to think a Corbin/Boyle final is in the cards but you never know. LexCath could get hot. Franklin is still dangerous. Louisville Central has a good enough defense to keep them is a lot of games. JC has a hard row to hoe but you never know how things like this can inspire a team. I think they've always played hard for Coach Matney, that's why they've been so successful. I just really feel for them.
Corbin is the team to beat. Too much depth and their defense will be fine tuned, and hard to move the ball against in the playoffs.
(09-29-2021, 11:45 AM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]Corbin is the team to beat. Too much depth and their defense will be fine tuned, and hard to move the ball against in the playoffs.

Hope your doing well my friend and Thank You..
I don't think most people in the state really understand just how much talent and depth that Corbin team has!
it’s corbins to lose from what ive seen and don’t see anyone playing within 14 of them ..

cant say that without saying if they hadn’t taken our best player id say we would be in the thick of 3a talk
(09-29-2021, 05:06 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-29-2021, 11:45 AM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]Corbin is the team to beat. Too much depth and their defense will be fine tuned, and hard to move the ball against in the playoffs.

I'm having a rough time but I'm Ok and hope you are too Smile
(09-29-2021, 07:45 PM)Colonelfan72 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think most people in the state  really understand just how much talent and depth that Corbin team has!

I do. that defensive unit has some speed and strength too. I can see them shutting a good offense down.
(09-29-2021, 08:35 PM)WhomTheBellTolls Wrote: [ -> ]it’s corbins to lose from what ive seen and don’t see anyone playing within 14 of them ..

cant say that without saying if they hadn’t taken our best player id say we would be in the thick of 3a talk

And your best offensive player makes a huge difference on their defense. lol
(09-29-2021, 10:02 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-29-2021, 08:35 PM)WhomTheBellTolls Wrote: [ -> ]it’s corbins to lose from what ive seen and don’t see anyone playing within 14 of them ..

I can understand why Bell hated to lose him , he’s a huge asset on both sides of the ball, but your right he’s playing lights out at that LB spot.

(09-29-2021, 09:58 PM)pjdoug Wrote: [ -> ]

Praying for your health, I’m ok just been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest, I hope these people are enjoying their extended unemployment checks  Undecided
(09-29-2021, 10:12 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: [ -> ]

I can understand why Bell hated to lose him , he’s a huge asset on both sides of the ball, but your right he’s playing lights out at that LB spot.

Praying for your health, I’m ok just been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest, I hope these people are enjoying their extended unemployment checks  Undecided
He's a man at LB. he exudes confidence.
(09-29-2021, 10:12 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks, I appreciate you.

As bad as it hurts to say, your in the thick of 3a without him. This really hurts, but with a down 3a Dudley could probably take a middle school team and have them ready to compete. He always finds a way to get kids to buy in.
(09-29-2021, 10:31 PM)Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote: [ -> ]

As bad as it hurts to say, your in the thick of 3a without him.  This really hurts, but with  a down 3a Dudley could probably take a middle school team and have them ready to compete.  He always finds a way to get kids to buy in.

As long as you can keep him coaching and out of the bleachers…
(09-29-2021, 11:04 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]Johnson Central's Mason Lawson, who averaged 143.5 yards/game and 12.5 yards/carry in two games, has been lost for the season. He was also a key player on defense. Combined with the tragic death of Coach Jim Matney, the Golden Eagles have an uphill battle facing them. I think that the #4 ranking is about right, although I can still see an argument for #3. At this point in the season, there is a significant gap between Boyle County/Corbin and the rest of 4A, IMO.
I know it’s got to be hard to move past a death like this. But eventually you’ll have to move forward. Not forget! Just move forward. So with that, who is gonna step up and be the interim coach? 

I’ll be honest. I thought all along that Jc was behind Corbin and Boyle, and that was before death and injury. But I didn’t  think they are that far behind. Now, I’m gonna have to agree. If I had to put a numeric value on it. Let’s say Corbin and BC are 10’’s on a scale from 1-10 in 4A. I’d give JC a 7.5.
(09-30-2021, 12:30 AM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-29-2021, 11:04 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]Johnson Central's Mason Lawson, who averaged 143.5 yards/game and 12.5 yards/carry in two games, has been lost for the season. He was also a key player on defense. Combined with the tragic death of Coach Jim Matney, the Golden Eagles have an uphill battle facing them. I think that the #4 ranking is about right, although I can still see an argument for #3. At this point in the season, there is a significant gap between Boyle County/Corbin and the rest of 4A, IMO.
I know it’s got to be hard to move past a death like this. But eventually you’ll have to move forward. Not forget! Just move forward. So with that, who is gonna step up and be the interim coach? 

I’ll be honest. I thought all along that Jc was behind Corbin and Boyle, and that was before death and injury. But I didn’t  think they are that far behind. Now, I’m gonna have to agree. If I had to put a numeric value on it. Let’s say Corbin and BC are 10’’s on a scale from 1-10 in 4A. I’d give JC a 7.5.

While Coach Matney was in the hospital Steve Trimble was the interim coach and I would assume he will continue till the end of the season. He was head coach at JC in the 80s and then later superintendent of both Johnson County and Floyd County Schools. He’s been helping call plays on offense with Matney since he’s been at JC.

I don’t think it’s that easy it’ll take years if ever to move on. JC Dosent know football before Matney, not one single good year prior to him. I would typically agree with you based off eveything that’s happened and even prior to everything with Corbin being so deep at every position and just a great well coached team, and Boyle as well but a glimpse of hope is if you could’ve viewed the rock creek game you’d find it hard to believe that Corbin or anyone is much better than rock creek and central played them very well without Lawson or McCoart and Coach was fighting for his life then. Rockcreek has more power 5 athletes than any single team in the state of KY and were a well oiled machine that had jet packs on. I think that game was the smack in the mouth they needed. I may be wrong completely. I’m not that smart, but they have a lot to play for to say the least.
(09-30-2021, 02:51 AM)Gold River Wrote: [ -> ]

I don’t think it’s that easy it’ll take years if ever to move on. JC Dosent know football before Matney, not one single good year prior to him. I would typically agree with you based off eveything that’s happened and even prior to everything with Corbin being so deep at every position and just a great well coached team, and Boyle as well but a glimpse of hope is if you could’ve viewed the rock creek game you’d find it hard to believe that Corbin or anyone is much better than rock creek and central played them very well without Lawson or McCoart and Coach was fighting for his life then. Rockcreek has more power 5 athletes than any single team in the state of KY and were a well oiled machine that had jet packs on. I think that game was the smack in the mouth they needed. I may be wrong completely. I’m not that smart, but they have a lot to play for to say the least.
Out of curiosity, who are the Rock Creek power 5 kids? I looked up 247 sports and did see 1 kid last name Goodwine, he played Defensive Tackle ,  being recruited by Alabama. But after the top 60 in Maryland high school players listed, I didn’t see any more of Rock Creeks players mentioned. Yep

Found another one. BJ Blake with 10 offers, projected to pick U.K. Rock Creek is looking very very tuff. I watched the Cahokia game. That looked like a tuff team to me. I saw on Mountain news highlights of Rock Creek and a receiver in those highlights looked like a D1 to me.

I don't want to debate the point this soon after Coach Matney's passing but I disagree. The only reason that I would not have ranked JC #1 before Matney fell ill and lost Lawson for the season was the fact that they were not the defending a state title. JC has one of the best offensive lines in the state (if not the best), a returning senior quarterback, and a very deep stable of running backs. However, Mason Lawson was the one running back that the Golden Eagles could not afford to lose because he created opportunities for everybody else on offense. Without Lawson in the lineup, Grant Rice will have to provide more of the offense and JC will probably need to pass more than they have in the past.
What I’ve watched of the boys form interviews before and after the death of their coach they are determined to win it all for him so JC may fool a lot of people this year
(09-29-2021, 11:35 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: [ -> ]

As bad as it hurts to say, your in the thick of 3a without him.  This really hurts, but with  a down 3a Dudley could probably take a middle school team and have them ready to compete.  He always finds a way to get kids to buy in.

as long as you can keep greer off of coattails and out of other teams locker rooms he’s not too bad himself ..
(09-30-2021, 08:43 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't want to debate the point this soon after Coach Matney's passing but I disagree. The only reason that I would not have ranked JC #1 before Matney fell ill and lost Lawson for the season was the fact that they were not the defending a state title. JC has one of the best offensive lines in the state (if not the best), a returning senior quarterback, and a very deep stable of running backs. However, Mason Lawson was the one running back that the Golden Eagles could not afford to lose because he created opportunities for everybody else on offense. Without Lawson in the lineup, Grant Rice will have to provide more of the offense and JC will probably need to pass more than they have in the past.
No disputing that line they have.
(09-30-2021, 01:13 PM)WhomTheBellTolls Wrote: [ -> ]

as long as you can keep greer off of coattails and out of other teams locker rooms he’s not too bad himself ..
Greer recruits players from locker rooms. Dudley recruits fans from up in the stands. What are ya gonna do??? Lol
(10-01-2021, 02:09 AM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-30-2021, 01:13 PM)WhomTheBellTolls Wrote: [ -> ]

Greer recruits players from locker rooms. Dudley recruits fans from up in the stands. What are ya gonna do??? Lol

I could be wrong but it almost seems like there’s some red a$$es in Fell Co right now…