Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Coach Jim Matney Passes Away
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A mountain coaching legend dies today. I want to pray for the family and friends. Players, coaches, coworkers anyone and everyone the knew Coach Matney may they find peace in this terrible time!
I didn’t want to post it because I didn’t know how it would be taken but mountain top sports released it. It’s not got any info and like spud says it’s a tragic loss I pray for peace and comfort for all of Johnson county and his family Coach no doubt affected many lives for the better and a bright light in the world has been extinguished.
There are few men that I have the degree of respect for that I have for Jim Matney. I am so very sorry to learn of his passing!!

Prayers for his wife, his sons, the team and the community!! They have lost an irreplaceable person.

A lot of us went on this journey with Coach through prayers and meditation. I really feel badly that this has happened!!
Very sad. I knew Jim since high school, and stayed in touch. Just heartbreaking for his family, players, and friends. I pray for a peace upon his family as they move through this difficult time.
Get your vaccines, please. I am begging. These things can be stopped. This doesn't have to happen.
(09-28-2021, 02:17 PM)Diogenes Wrote: [ -> ]Get your vaccines, please. I am begging. These things can be stopped. This doesn't have to happen.

Not the time or place for that.
(09-28-2021, 02:17 PM)Diogenes Wrote: [ -> ]Get your vaccines, please. I am begging. These things can be stopped. This doesn't have to happen.
Not the time or place for this. pay respect to a legend and leave it at that.
pocoboy18
Not the time or place for this. pay respect to a legend and leave it at that.

this legend was a best friend to my family. I have nothing but respect for him, and Debby and the kids. I'm crying today, because I miss him, and will miss him. And I don't want to see this happen to anyone else when it can be prevented.
Out of respect, the annual game between Belfry and Central should having a traveling trophy with his name sake. What better way to honor a man whose touched both programs.
RIP Mr Matney. Prayers for his wife, kids, his players, and the community.
So sad! It’s made my heart sad the whole entire time he was sick. I’ll continue to pray for his family and team and community.
Jim Matney will go down as one of, if not the greatest coach in Kentucky highschool football history. From a redhound that would give just about anything to beat johnson central I sure wish we could see him on that sideline and hear a clip of one of his pregame or postgame speeches again. Condolences to the family and friends. I dont understand why we lose some of the best people but coach Matney would probably say its not for us to understand. Absolutely heartbreaking.
I love him. Like you don't even know how smart he was. He was Jeopardy smart. But he was also football brilliant.
(09-28-2021, 02:01 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]A mountain coaching legend dies today. I want to pray for the family and friends. Players, coaches, coworkers anyone and everyone the knew Coach Matney may they find peace in this terrible time!
Tough Day.  Prayers to his family, friends and team.
This is a devastating loss for the Johnson County community. Jim Matney was not only a brilliant football and wrestling coach but he had an unshakeable belief in the potential of mountain kids. He always made us students at JC feel as though we were just as smart and talented as kids from Lexington, Louisville or any other part of the US.

I just think about all the lives he changed. How many mountain kids got a chance to go to college on scholarship because of playing on his football teams? His impact on our community cannot be overstated.
Coach Matney’s success goes well beyond wins and losses in competition. I firmly believe he prepared young men for life. He had a positive impact on thousands of young men in our community. Prayers for everyone.

We are all Eagles today.
Great Loss to his family, community and the sport. God’s Grace sustain all in this moment of loss.
Matney was the single greatest wielder of men out of any coach I have ever seen. He made these mountain kids have hope that they were bigger than the holler they lived in and that they were just as good at everything they do as the next guy. He did all the amazing things on the field with all the wins and every time we played them there was never a bad word said, scuffle, unsportsmanlike conduct, or anything. He made his kids into men that loved every aspect of life. Heaven gets a great one today.
(09-28-2021, 02:25 PM)bball_fan Wrote: [ -> ]Out of respect, the annual game between Belfry and Central should having a traveling trophy with his name sake. What better way to honor a man whose touched both programs.
Man that’s an awesome idea!!! 

but praying for a devastated community and school
RIP to a true man of God. Coach Matney has won his race and is with the creator of all things now. I’m sure that if he could send a word to us it would be that it was all worth it. I am praying for his family and all the lives that he has impacted, today. We are all Golden Eagles this week. I admonish all who read this to turn your hearts over to the Lord just as Coach Matney did and trust in Him. My heart is broken today, but I believe Coach Matney is doing better than we are at this moment.
I’ve sat here for the last few hours thinking and I don’t think highschool football will ever be the same for me, I’m sure there is others that feel the same way. Jim brought an atmosphere like no other and I’m so glad I got to attend the last game he coached at Henry Clay that Friday before he took Sick. Ever story he ever told has always stuck with me because I’ve never met a person who had experienced ever tragedy possible and never ran from adversity while being a comforter of men. 
Prayers for Debby, Dalton, and Carson Coach you will be missed dearly.
Great coach. Great human. And most importantly a great man of god. He will be mossed by so many. RIP coach. Prayers to the JC comunity.
A loss that is deeper than anyone will realize.

A true great leader in Eastern Kentucky who genuinely loved everything right about coaching.

His impact on multiple communities cannot be stated. The number of kids he helped to realize potential and to show them life lessons that has led them to successful lives will be the true legacy he leaves, even more than the tremendous success he had on the field and the wrestling mat.

Between Matney and Scroggins, Kentucky High School football has been dealt a massive blow this past year.

With that said, celebration for what he has done for so many and the joy and memories he brought so many should not be missed.

EKY Friday's will not feel the same though.
A legend of coach and man gone too soon. My condolences to the JCHS football family.
I’ve known Coach Matney for a long time. He will be missed by many. RIP Coach.
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.

He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.

Coach Matney your work here is done go rest high on that mountain sir. To the family, players and community of Johnson County you have this old Redhound’s deepest sympathies and prayers, may a merciful and mighty Lord bless you all with compassion and comfort during this difficult time.
Psalm 116:15 Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints

So sorry to here the news. Johnson County community you are all in my prayers
Prayers for the family ??????
Mark Stoops just posted a photo on Twitter of Kroger Field’s lights lit up at 7:30 to honor Coach Matney!
After watching some of his clips this evening, I never realized just how humble a person he was. I’ve never met him loke some of you guys, knew he was a good man from what you all said about him and an excellent coach. But every time he spoke, he was very humbling in just about every topic.
Pages: 1 2