Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Covington Catholic 31 Cooper 24 (3OT)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from Park Hills.

Poorly played football by both teams.

5A District 5 is wide open and I don't think any of them (Boone Co., Conner, Cooper Cov Cath, Highlands) make it to the playoff semis this year.
Congratulations Covington Catholic! Sounds like thriller of a game!
Way to go Colonels!
(09-25-2021, 12:04 AM)nemo Wrote: [ -> ]Final from Park Hills.

5A District 5 is wide open and I don't think any of them (Boone Co., Conner, Cooper Cov Cath, Highlands) make it to the playoff semis this year.
I’m glad you mentioned that. I didn’t want to make a new thread just for this, but what happened to Conner football? They use to, well a majority of the time, have a pretty good football team. Haven’t heard much for the last 5 years or maybe even more. I know competition is fierce up there for players, but just wondering what happened?
(09-24-2021, 09:38 PM)nemo Wrote: [ -> ]85 yard drive by Cov Cath capped off with a Preston Agee TD run.

Cooper 14 Cov Cath 14

6:10 to play.

Cov Cath int. puts them inside the Cooper 45. 

3:00 left in the 4th, still tied at 14s.

Cov Cath's Owen Nalley misses a 42 yd. FG wide right with 6 sec. left.

Free football. 

OT - Cooper 14 Cov Cath 14

Eli White runs for Cooper TD.

OT - Cooper 21 Cov Cath 14

Cov Cath's Preston Agee in from the 1 yd. line. XP by Nalley is good.

Cooper 21 Cov Cath 21

2nd OT starting.

Cov Cath misses a 30 yd. FG attempt.

2nd OT. Still 21 all.

Cooper botches the snap on a game winning FG try.

3rd OT.

Drew Warth kicks a 24 yd. FG. 

Cooper up 24-21.

Cov Cath TD called back for holding.

FG attempt from the 29 by Cov Cath's Nalley is good.

4th OT - Cooper 24 Cov Cath 24

Cov Cath driving.

Cooper looking for it's first ever win vs. Cov Cath.

TD run by Preston Agee. XP good.

4th OT. 

Cov Cath with it's first lead of the game, 31-24.

(09-24-2021, 09:35 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]Love the story on the Cooper QB!!!!!!

Absolutely! Drew Warth's story here -

https://www.fox19.com/2021/09/23/nky-hig...diagnosis/

Cov Cath intercepts a Warth pass in the end zone.

Final - Cov Cath 31 Cooper 24

(09-25-2021, 12:52 AM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2021, 12:04 AM)nemo Wrote: [ -> ]Final from Park Hills.

5A District 5 is wide open and I don't think any of them (Boone Co., Conner, Cooper, Cov Cath, Highlands) make it to the playoff semis this year.
I’m glad you mentioned that. I didn’t want to make a new thread just for this, but what happened to Conner football? They use to, well a majority of the time, have a pretty good football team. Haven’t heard much for the last 5 years or maybe even more. I know competition is fierce up there for players, but just wondering what happened?

I see what you're saying Hound05, but nothing much has really changed in the last five years. The pattern though for Conner in the 6 class era (14 years) under Coach Trosper: post a couple of consecutive 7-8 win regular seasons and maybe win one playoff game, followed by a 3-4 win season. They were eliminated in both of their quarterfinal appearances in 2011 and 2018.

Before that, the Cougars had five winning seasons in 14 years (1993-2006) under Tom Stellman and the best playoff runs were two more quarterfinal losses in 1993 and 1996.

The "Golden Age" of Conner football were Coach Bob Lewis' years (1979-83) with players like Melvin Miles, Artie Crawford, Jim Pitzer, and Jim Dorton. State finalist in 1980 and State Champs in 1983. Before (1970-1978) and after Lewis (1984-1992), Conner was imostly in a brutal AAA district with predictable results - two winning seasons and zero playoff appearances.

As far as the "fierce competition for players," I don't think this has ever happened much in Boone County (though district lines are allegedly soft lately). But Conner has for most of it's existence, been the "little brother" school in the county, first to BCHS, and now to Ryle. Add Cooper opening in 2008 and there aren't enough "game changer" players to spread between the four schools to make a difference at any of them. Kids from Hebron are not showing up at places like Beechwood, Cov Cath, or Highlands either.

I like the folks at Conner. Overall it's a solid school, with good kids and stable long term coaches across multiple sports.