Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: LCA 31 Pikeville 14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final.

Sorry Granny Bear, I was trigger happy lol. Congratulation to LCA and I have to Congratulate Pikeville as well. What a game!!!!
My takeaway from this game: 2A is more wide open than I thought beforehand, while 1A is virtually locked up. If Pikeville were able to establish the passing game this game would have gone to the wire. Pikeville was the bigger, stronger team up front on both sides of the ball, but at the end of the day, speed won out. A couple of those bobbled balls that LCA kept having go Pikeville's way though and this could have been a completely different game. Good showing by Pikeville.
Congratulations to LCA great game, back to work Panthers going to be another tuff one next week. Proud of you guys played your hearts out and as always GO PANTHERS!!!
Pikeville battled and I liked what I saw. The size of their Oline and Dline is very impressive for a 1A team. Was surprised they weren't able to get the passing game going but the running game looked very good.

Congrats to the Eagles. I will be in the stands cheering them on if they play for a state title in a few months and I suspect they will be.

Pikeville at Madison Central next week will be a very interesting game.

Go Panthers!!
(09-24-2021, 10:51 PM)RoShamBo Wrote: [ -> ]My takeaway from this game: 2A is more wide open than I thought beforehand, while 1A is virtually locked up. If Pikeville were able to establish the passing game this game would have gone to the wire. Pikeville was the bigger, stronger team up front on both sides of the ball, but at the end of the day, speed won out. A couple of those bobbled balls that LCA kept having go Pikeville's way though and this could have been a completely different game. Good showing by Pikeville.
Exactly. Well worth the drive to Lexington. LCA is a very good team. Pikeville is right there with them. I still say Pikeville could with few good bounces make it to Lexington in 1A thru 4A. No question they are 1A front runner
I could kick myself on my prediction, Congratulations LCA and a big congratulations to Pikeville y’all play awesome!!
Pikeville is by far the favorite in 1A, but they’ll take away a lot from this game and it’ll help them for the rest of the season.
(09-25-2021, 01:06 AM)GreyStoke Wrote: [ -> ]Pikeville is by far the favorite in 1A, but they’ll take away a lot from this game and it’ll help them for the rest of the season.

I watched this game and it showed me 1a is a one horse show, and 2a is closer than many will admit. Lca is good, beechwood is good, and if mayfield can keep that 2 or better seed they will be in Lexington because that’s a tough place to play as a visitor plus they are that good. Never count Mayfield out.
I was extremely impressed with Pikeville. I had watched Lexington Christian play a couple games online earlier this year and had heard a lot about Xavier Brown. I am not sure that Pikeville's Birchfield wasn't the best player on the field last night. I had watched Pikeville play earlier in the year online and was impressed with their offensive line. I was even more impressed last night. They look like a college offensive line. I know Lexington Christian won the game, but I came away extremely impressed with Pikeville. I am not sure Pikeville wouldn't have won the game if it had been played at Pikeville.
Pikeville at LCA 30 late in the 4th down 10 on the road...not bad. With a healthy C wright and B Thomas in the backfield with Birchfield and the game at Pikeville I would expect Pikeville to beat LCA. Huge game next for Pikeville, they need to beat Madison Central to virtually lock up home field throughout playoffs.
After watching this on prepspin I just want to reiterate how impressive Blake Birchfield is. He’s had to run the ball 20-25 times on average a game. He’s a tough cat.
Tale of two halves - LCA gives up (2) 80 yard runs in 1st half and then shuts down Pikeville offense in 2nd. Pville 293 total yards LCA 402. Less the 2 big plays LCA holds Pville to 133 yards total offense and held Birchfield to just 18 yards in the 2nd half. Pville will be a tough out for anyone else in 1A. Solid game for both programs at this point In the season. These types of games get you ready for November. Great program and fans. Love the atmosphere when we play each other.
I said LCA by 3 scores and they won by 3 scores. I think Pikeville walks through the 1A playoffs. LCA looks to be headed for a final game showdown with Beechwood again. With Maybe Mayfield playing spoiler against one of them. Good luck to both the remainder of the season.
(09-25-2021, 10:58 AM)Tigerallamerican Wrote: [ -> ]Tale of two halves - LCA gives up (2) 80 yard runs in 1st half and then shuts down Pikeville offense in 2nd. Pville 293 total yards LCA 402. Less the 2 big plays LCA holds Pville to 133 yards total offense and held Birchfield to just 18 yards in the 2nd half. Pville will be a tough out for anyone else in 1A. Solid game for both programs at this point In the season. These types of games get you ready for November. Great program and fans. Love the atmosphere when we play each other.
That goes both ways. Take the long Brown run away late in the 4th and he has maybe 50 yards? Pikeville gets a first down on the 4th and 1 and scores and its 24-21 late in the 4th and we have a real nail biter. Both teams had big plays and they all count.
(09-25-2021, 11:42 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2021, 10:58 AM)Tigerallamerican Wrote: [ -> ]Tale of two halves - LCA gives up (2) 80 yard runs in 1st half and then shuts down Pikeville offense in 2nd. Pville 293 total yards LCA 402. Less the 2 big plays LCA holds Pville to 133 yards total offense and held Birchfield to just 18 yards in the 2nd half. Pville will be a tough out for anyone else in 1A. Solid game for both programs at this point In the season. These types of games get you ready for November. Great program and fans. Love the atmosphere when we play each other.
That goes both ways. Take the long Brown run away late in the 4th and he has maybe 50 yards? Pikeville gets a first down on the 4th and 1 and scores and its 24-21 late in the 4th and we have a real nail biter. Both teams had big plays and they all count.

Yep, this game was closer then the score board would lead you to believe.  One thing is for sure, Blake Birchfield was the best player on the field last night and it wasn't close.  I still maintain that Pikeville's O and D-line are VERY good. LCA is just super deep at RB and big played the pikeville defense.  If Pikeville had executed on play action passing this game would have gone to the wire.  I just dont see a Class 1A team even competing with a healthy Pikeville team.  Next week should be interesting. Madison Central relies on running the ball between the tackles and Pikeville is VERY good between the tackles.
I just noticed Pikeville schedule shows 11 games, one is a COVID cancel. Rpi is based off ten games the COVID game pays higher points then the out of state game because out of state is considered same class and the cancelled game has high multiplier. How are they going to calculate Pikevilles rpi?
(09-25-2021, 08:35 AM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]After watching this on prepspin I just want to reiterate how impressive Blake Birchfield is. He’s had to run the ball 20-25 times  on average a game. He’s a tough cat.
I think he has a little brother coming up too, that can run the ball tough. Pikeville dont have any hiccups like last season. They will win 1A.
(09-25-2021, 12:20 PM)14th_region_fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2021, 08:35 AM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]After watching this on prepspin I just want to reiterate how impressive Blake Birchfield is. He’s had to run the ball 20-25 times  on average a game. He’s a tough cat.
I think he has a little brother coming up too, that can run the ball tough. Pikeville dont have any hiccups like last season. They will win 1A.

He does not. He had an older brother that graduated 2 years ago when they won the state title. Carson Wright has a younger brother
Pikeville's OL and DL were huge. That caused LCA some problems, especially running the ball, but, LCA is very fundamentally sound and they have some great athletes and stuck with the game plan and were able to make a few more big plays. One thing that surprised me was late in the game, down 10, there was no sense of urgency or trying to get the ball down field. It almost felt like Pikeville was content keeping the score respectable. They were talented enough to win that game. With that said, to beat LCA, you'll need to force them out of there comfort zone and turn them over a time or 2, otherwise, they'll pick you apart 4-5 yards at a time.
(09-25-2021, 12:15 PM)Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote: [ -> ]I just noticed Pikeville schedule shows 11 games, one is a COVID cancel.  Rpi is based off ten games the COVID game pays higher points then the out of state game because out of state is considered same class and the cancelled game has high multiplier.  How are they going to calculate Pikevilles rpi?
I have the same question. I hope RPI doesn't come into play. Castlewood is awful and the starters will be out of that game by early 2nd quarter at the latest. If it was me I wouldn't have the starters in for even 1 play.

Edit: If I understand the rules, Pikeville finding a 10th game (Wheelersburg) lets Bourbon off the hook for forfeit?
Birchfield the best player on the field? Please. Everyone knows Xavier Brown is on another level. Blake had a good first half but that was it. It seems like everyone’s just patting themselves on the back for being tied at half. That was one of the poorer performances from LCA I have seen all year. I don’t think there are many instances where pikeville beats this team ever. Against a team like LCA pikevilles best hopes was to keep the ball on the ground and away from the eagles. They were successful for a half because of two busted plays. After a halftime adjustment for LCA Pikeville had no answers on offense. With that being said I love this match up every year and I hope this become an annual game. I’ll be pulling for pikeville in 1a this year. There may be a running clock all the way to Kroger. Good luck against Mad Central!
(09-25-2021, 12:59 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-25-2021, 12:15 PM)Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote: [ -> ]I just noticed Pikeville schedule shows 11 games, one is a COVID cancel.  Rpi is based off ten games the COVID game pays higher points then the out of state game because out of state is considered same class and the cancelled game has high multiplier.  How are they going to calculate Pikevilles rpi?
I have the same question. I hope RPI doesn't come into play. Castlewood is awful and the starters will be out of that game by early 2nd quarter at the latest. If it was me I wouldn't have the starters in for even 1 play.

Edit: If I understand the rules, Pikeville finding a 10th game (Wheelersburg) lets Bourbon off the hook for forfeit?
^^^Scratch that edit. 11 observations for RPI:

https://khsaa.org/09-20-21-initial-rpi-r...-football/
(09-25-2021, 01:51 PM)Eagle2009 Wrote: [ -> ]Birchfield the best player on the field? Please. Everyone knows Xavier Brown is on another level. Blake had a good first half but that was it. It seems like everyone’s just patting themselves on the back for being tied at half. That was one of the poorer performances from LCA I have seen all year. I don’t think there are many instances where pikeville beats this team ever. Against a team like LCA pikevilles best hopes was to keep the ball on the ground and away from the eagles. They were successful for a half because of two busted plays. After a halftime adjustment for LCA Pikeville had no answers on offense. With that being said I love this match up every year and I hope this become an annual game. I’ll be pulling for pikeville in 1a this year. There may be a running clock all the way to Kroger. Good luck against Mad Central!

I can assure you Pikeville doesn’t pat themselves on the back for being on the same level as a team for a half. That’s not the standard they set. And as far as Brown and Birchfield, Brown is a better player but he is not on another level. His in a much better situation. Pikeville has no pass offense and they run a one back set with Birchfield 80% of the time. So it’s pretty easy to key on him for the entire duration of a game while he gets 25 carries a game. Brown isn’t even leading his team in TDs for the year receiving or rushing. LCA had 9, 16, 32 take snaps at RB last night. Blake has 86 carries in four games and had 25 last night. 

Now if you want to say Brown is on another level on defense. That’s fair. Overall. I disagree. Respectfully
(09-25-2021, 01:51 PM)Eagle2009 Wrote: [ -> ]Birchfield the best player on the field? Please. Everyone knows Xavier Brown is on another level. Blake had a good first half but that was it. It seems like everyone’s just patting themselves on the back for being tied at half. That was one of the poorer performances from LCA I have seen all year. I don’t think there are many instances where pikeville beats this team ever. Against a team like LCA pikevilles best hopes was to keep the ball on the ground and away from the eagles. They were successful for a half because of two busted plays. After a halftime adjustment for LCA Pikeville had no answers on offense. With that being said I love this match up every year and I hope this become an annual game. I’ll be pulling for pikeville in 1a this year. There may be a running clock all the way to Kroger. Good luck against Mad Central!

I don't.
(09-25-2021, 03:54 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]

I can assure you Pikeville doesn’t pat themselves on the back for being on the same level as a team for a half. That’s not the standard they set. And as far as Brown and Birchfield, Brown is a better player but he is not on another level. His in a much better situation. Pikeville has no pass offense and they run a one back set with Birchfield 80% of the time. So it’s pretty easy to key on him for the entire duration of a game while he gets 25 carries a game. Brown isn’t even leading his team in TDs for the year receiving or rushing. LCA had 9, 16, 32 take snaps at RB last night. Blake has 86 carries in four games and had 25 last night. 

Now if you want to say Brown is on another level on defense. That’s fair. Overall. I disagree. Respectfully
Him not leading the team on the stat sheet just speaks to the amount of playmakers on the team. I still stand by my statement that he is “on another level”. When you are talking athleticism speed agility toughness and football IQ Brown takes the cake. There’s a reasons he’s a power 5 talent. I would consider that another level.

(09-25-2021, 04:01 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't.
Well said

Him not leading the team on the stat sheet just speaks to the amount of playmakers on the team. I still stand by my statement that he is “on another level”. When you are talking athleticism speed agility toughness and football IQ Brown takes the cake. There’s a reasons he’s a power 5 talent. I would consider that another level.
Neither team committed a turnover. Penalties were minimal. The blocked punt before the half was really the only “outlier” in play. LCA was the better team, but Pikeville certainly had a claim to being on the field.

The challenge now for Pikeville is to rise to the occasion at Madison Central at the end of the five straight road contests and after an emotional win over Belfry followed by one of the most hyped games on the calendar this season. Another long bus ride and a game with a little less shine against a good Indian team is a recipe for a let down. The Panthers must find a way to have a good week of practice and be mentally and physically prepared to win at 6A Madison Central.
(09-25-2021, 04:19 PM)Eagle2009 Wrote: [ -> ]

(09-25-2021, 04:01 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]

I don't.
Well said

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by your comment, but I didn't think Xavier Brown looked like the best player on the field last night.  Maybe he had an off night.  He dropped a wide open touchdown against Lex Cath and had a drop or 2 against Pikeville.  I am not saying he isn't good, but he has been far from being on another level the last two games Lexington Christian has played.
Great showing Pikeville. That game meant nothing really in the big picture and done nothing but get you better on your way to another ring! Clear it out of your minds now. Congrats to LCA. Tough team!
Way to go LCA. Pikeville put up some fight in this one.