Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best Belfry team in the last 5 years
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Rank

1. Belfry '03
2. Belfry '04
3. Belfry '05
3. Belfry '07
4. Belfry '06

What do you think and why? I'll chime in more as we go along. As of now, I can't decide between the '05 and '07 teams.
how much better is the2007 team than last years team.....19 points at home difference???
I meant to add a poll, too, but got in a hurry and forgot. Can a mod fix that for me?

To answer your question, personnel has changed for both teams since last year. Enjoy your win, you deserved it, and lets hope the two square off one more time this year.
The thing about this team is they dont really have a huge week spot at all this year. Their defense is another year older, esoecialy front seven and that much more mature, the back field has so much depth. I would venture to say at this point of the season they are definatley 19 points better than they were last year.
It may sound crawzy but overall they are farther along at this point I believe than they were on the two state championship teams, but we will know more Friday.
I haven't seen the '07 team play yet, but I don't see how they could be better then the '03 and '04 teams. Jones and Howard were one of a kind, and made it that much worse they played on the same team.
blackcat Wrote:I haven't seen the '07 team play yet, but I don't see how they could be better then the '03 and '04 teams. Jones and Howard were one of a kind, and made it that much worse they played on the same team.

There not.

The '03 team was superior to the '04 team in a couple of different areas.
Belfry '03
Belfry '03
Until November it is impossible to list the '07 team anywhere but the bottom of the group, my criteria for rating these teams is where they end up at the end of the season.

Going along with this point, to address comparing this year's team to last year, it is harder than it seems. Our schedule at the start of last seaosn was considerably tougher than this year with eventual 1A State Champ NewCath and a very good Ashland team, as well as a Lawrence County team that was slightly better than this year's version at the point we played them. I will say this though, this Belfry team APPEARS to be deeper than either the '03 or '04 State Championship teams, they also APPEAR to be more versatile on offense witht heir ability to pass the ball, and the defense as the POTENTIAL to be one of the toughest Belfry has fielded in the past 10-15 years. As you noticed, I stressed the words APPEAR and POTENTIAL, because it is entirely subjective til' we see the end result.

As for debating the 03 vs. 04 teams.. thats an entirely new thread in itself, but those teams were on a different plane than the 05 and 06 squads.
I'd call the '03 vs '07 teams ability to pass the ball a wash at this point.

As far as which defense is better. I say '03, hands down. The only position '07 may have the upperhand is at DE, and that's a big maybe.

'03
DE - Zane Smith, Clifton Hatfield. Shane Varney
DL - Phillip Varney, Josh Cullop, Michael Hackney
LB - Doug Howard, Gary Childers
DB - David Jones, Paul Howard, Kurt Kendrick, Tyler Bostic

'07
DE - Ivan Lee, Adam Bowens
DL - Corey Coleman, Phillip Hickman, Randy Webb
LB - Dustin May, Charlie Dotson
DB - Andrew Elkins, Ryan Preston, Thomas Varney, John Young
As an outsider I fealt that the 2004 Belfry team was hands down better than the rest. They had the 2 best backs in the history of the school durring their primes. Jones & Howard both improved so much between their junior and senior years and even though the offensive line of 2003 was better than the 2004 at the beggining of the season I fealt the 2004 line was as good if not better by the end of the season. No way the 2004 team would have lost to Boyd Co. first game of the year, the 2003 team lacked focus that game. So both teams were something special (hence the RINGS) but IMO the 2004 team was more focused, more disciplened and just all around better.
BoondockSaint Wrote:Rank

1. Belfry '03
2. Belfry '04
3. Belfry '05
3. Belfry '07
4. Belfry '06

What do you think and why? I'll chime in more as we go along. As of now, I can't decide between the '05 and '07 teams.
I agree its too early

jace43

I'm kinda partial to the 85-86 team. I guess most of you probably can't name many from that era, can ya? Were yall even born yet? True SMASHMOUTH football.
jace43 Wrote:I'm kinda partial to the 85-86 team. I guess most of you probably can't name many from that era, can ya? Were yall even born yet? True SMASHMOUTH football.

I'm not from the Belfry area but I was born long before the 85-86 season. I have a son that was born shortly after that.
jace43 Wrote:I'm kinda partial to the 85-86 team. I guess most of you probably can't name many from that era, can ya? Were yall even born yet? True SMASHMOUTH football.

I believe i could name quite a few from both the '85 and '86 state runner-up, but then again I didnt miss one game either year. Wink
'03,'04-50pts
07-6pts.......

the '07 team would be lucky to score......howard and jones would run wild
2004 team w/ the maynard kid on D, was the best belfry team

I can name just about everybody who started on both sides of the ball those years, and I think 3 of them are coaches in the Belfry system.
2003 was a very talented team at all positions, Paul Howard could run the option better than anyone I have seen in awhile....
Calpreps.com picks the 2004 team 22-17 over the 2003 team.
Right now...

BoondockSaint Wrote:Rank

1. Belfry '03
2. Belfry '04
3. Belfry '05
3. Belfry '07
4. Belfry '06

Re-arrange...

1. Belfry '03
2. Belfry '04
3. Belfry '07

4. Belfry '05
5. Belfry '06
aa
Devilologist my good friend please be careful, what goes around comes around.
Our Devils have been close to the very top for around 30 years now and since 2002 right at the top but every dog has his day..... Russell.... Breathitt.... Belfry.... Russell -----but now it is open season.
It's kind of cool that we knock each other off from being seen throughout the state as the one of the absolute elite in Kentucky but we (especially Belfry/Russell) still pull for each other!

To the thread.. ALL Belfry teams are good if not great. Coach Haywood, Coach Mickey, and the others all see to that. Belfry is a class act, GREAT coaches, great fans, great facilities, and extremely tough kids.

Don't know much yet about the 07 team but they seem to be very very very good.

The 2003 and 2004 teams are far above the others
The 2003 team was tremendous! So good they won a state championship!
But to put that team above 2004! no no no

Belfry's 2004 team was off the scale.
I was convinced when they beat my Devils who were phenominal that year.
After that win last night against Pikeville, I think this Belfry team may be just as good as 04, Heck I think I'll put them in second place with '04 right behind '03
Belfry 03'-04 may have been the best Belfry team of all time!
Im kind of partial to the '03 team..I'd put this team right there with the '04 team though..This team is scary..

As a TEAM I feel we're better this year. I'll admit, Maydo and Ivan are NOT the same caliber as Dougie and David, but the rest of the TEAM is, I feel, better at the other 9 positions.

Although, I still feel lil Paul could run the option better than Drew. But I hate the option, so for my choice that's a moot point.
I just can't see it at all.
As fabulous as the Belfry 03 team was.... BETTER THAN THE 04 team??!?!
I can't even go there. Having seen and studied both........not even close!
(BTW, the 05 and 06 teams were not too shabby either.... pretty darn good!)

Anyway, I sure hope the 07 team is not close to either 04 or 03.
If they are even in the same league to either, Belfry fans should start packing now for Papa Johns!
Pages: 1 2