Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Has Jenkins Suspended their program
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Multiple people have told me Jenkins has suspended their program and canceled all games for 2021.  Anybody got any news on this?
Not true. Their practice starts the 12th.
I’ll find out today if there is any truth to it
What did it look like in practice? It seems they have struggled with numbers for 30-plus years.
I didn’t get a chance to go to the field but we are practicing!
Jenkins is definitely going to have a team this year unless something unforeseen happens. I know Jenkins got 6 8th graders from Fleming-Neon to come last year and if they could figure out a way to more of the neon kids they could have a good team in a couple years. The Neon kids is about 85% of the starters at Letcher Central and most live closer to Jenkins high school.
Been trying for years!
I heard today that Jenkins isn’t going to be able to have football. Just not enough kids came out this season.
What were the numbers in practice?
I had heard as of Monday they only had like 9 players out. I don’t know if anymore came out after that but was told yesterday that they wouldn’t be filling a team.
Jenkins has folded.
Only had 7 consistent kids coming to practice. Sad to see.
Hate to see this happen for the Jenkins community.
Kind of late notice for the teams on their schedule. I think that also happened a couple of years ago when Jenkins had to forfeit some games. It seems they have been barely hanging on forever. There were some ugly seasons.
I love Jenkins but way past time to go through this every year.
Looking at the KHSAA scoreboard, aside from a few sporadic wins over some other small schools in EKY, Jenkins best record from 1998-2020 was in 2007 when they went 6-5.
I believe 1994 Jenkins 6-0 #1 defense in state over all 3 classes. Lost to Pikeville by a touchdown. Year before lost to Pikeville 14-12. When the mines shut down it killed jenkins enrollment. If you remember when we tried 8 man football, they made state title game. Lol with that being said it's needing players and coaching needs to be more experienced, but know one wants the job. In the 90s Jenkins packed the place. Those days long gone. Caverna about the same. I know they're is good talent at Letcher and Shelby Valley on the bench that could go to Jenkins and play,, and help turn the program some.
Jenkins was 6-0 in 94 with wins over Evarts, Pound, Va., Elkhorn City, Phelps, Allen Central and South Floyd and finished 7-4 with a 35-6 loss to Lynn Camp in the first round of the playoffs. I think Jenkins was 6-5 in 2007. Those may have been the only two winning seasons since 1984. It's been ugly for a long time.
(08-06-2021, 06:08 PM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]Jenkins was 6-0 in 94 with wins over Evarts, Pound, Va., Elkhorn City, Phelps, Allen Central and South Floyd and finished 7-4 with a 35-6 loss to Lynn Camp in the first round of the playoffs. I think Jenkins was 6-5 in 2007. Those may have been the only two winning seasons since 1984. It's been ugly for a long time.
Yes its been ugly, but wanted to point some good times out with all the bad news. That 94 team only had 22 players but they were players. They just got wore out and lost 4 key starters before playoffs. Hate seeing communities die out, but nothing there to bring people in. No jobs or anything, and with Pikeville up the road and other surrounding areas its just hard to get numbers.
True. If one of the best teams in school history could only get 22 players almost 30 years ago, then it seems unrealistic to think they'd have enough to play now with even lower populations/enrollments.
It's nothing new. Neon and Whitesburg both had more tradition and numbers and aren't around.
^^^Exactly, let Letcher Central be the sports factory and Jenkins needs to be the best possible academic and Christian school. Otherwise they will be closing their doors forever, which would be very sad.
(08-06-2021, 06:08 PM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]Jenkins was 6-0 in 94 with wins over Evarts, Pound, Va., Elkhorn City, Phelps, Allen Central and South Floyd and finished 7-4 with a 35-6 loss to Lynn Camp in the first round of the playoffs. I think Jenkins was 6-5 in 2007. Those may have been the only two winning seasons since 1984. It's been ugly for a long time.

Was this when Tim McCoy was head coach at Jenkins?
Jenkins has hired a new coach and their first game is at Bath County on August 27th.

You guys need to update your sources.
(08-07-2021, 01:04 AM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]

Was this when Tim McCoy was head coach at Jenkins?
Yes before he went to Pineville.

(08-06-2021, 10:53 PM)HCS Wrote: [ -> ]True. If one of the best teams in school history could only get 22 players almost 30 years ago, then it seems unrealistic to think they'd have enough to play now with even lower populations/enrollments.
It's nothing new. Neon and Whitesburg both had more tradition and numbers and aren't around.
Actually 3 years ago they he'd 34 starting season the year a player got badly Hurt and stopped game under Matt Fleming. He had the boys buying in, but they let him go after a year and the boys quiet putting them in the tens. On facenook the players said Fleming was did wrong and wouldn't play.
^Saw that earlier HCS. Hate it for those kids and wish they'd just cancel their program all together instead of kids having their hopes up that they get to play football and then once the season starts their season ends and those kids are stuck at Jenkins.
They should bring back 8 man football for schools like Jenkins.
Or them just play a JV schedule
I think they could have played a JV schedule and they would have had the same 15-16 kids when I saw them for the first game this year.