Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Homer's Back!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Homer Bailey was recalled by the Reds yesterday and made a successful return to the majors. He had originally been sent down to AAA back in July, then suffered a groin injury and was placed on the disabled list for a while. Once healthy again, he made a couple rehab appearances in Florida, then was recalled back to the Reds.

Homer started against the Giants and pitched well, going 5 2/3 IP with 1 ER to get the win. He actually could have gone longer, as he was only around 80 pitches, but Mackanin gave him a quick hook when a double put the tying run in scoring position in the sixth. I guess they are also trying to be very cautious with our prized prospect, which is understandable.

He should get at least another start before the season ends, possibly two if they start him on Tuesday. Hopefulle he will finish strong and be ready to give us a solid 1-2-3 at the top of the rotation next year!
Watched the game on FSO and he looked good. First inning was a little shakey but after that he was rock solid until they took him out. Seems to me that has recovered quite nicely from the groin injury.
Yeah, they said he was hitting 94 on the gun regularly, topping out at 97. That is great news to hear, especially considering how his velocity had been down prior being sent down. Hopefully he is completely healthy and ready to lead the Reds into 2008.
Hopefully get 1 maybe 2 more starts and then call it a good experiment for half the year. Homer pitched well got hurt and recovered nicely.
This kid will be a great pitcher in the bigs...They just cant rush him (Kerry Wood, anybody?)..but he'll be fine..
He will get two more starts. He is apparently scheduled to go on Tuesday and again on Sunday. Hopefully, he will just manage to stay healthy before next spring. The sky is the limit for this kid!
i believe Homer or Burton should be closer next year, Homer needs a couple more pitches to be starter.
Ouch...Did not pitch well tonight. I just hope that this has been a great learning experience for him. He is the future of the Reds along with Hamilton, Phillips, Votto and now Cantu and Kepp.
rallo316 Wrote:i believe Homer or Burton should be closer next year, Homer needs a couple more pitches to be starter.

Burton will be the closer next season...He's waiting in the wings.

Homer would've picked up the win had it not been for another blown save last night. That's the 3rd time Homer has been the victim of a blown save in 8 starts. He looks better than he did earlier and will only get better. Look for him to be the 2nd starter next season behind Harang - that's my prediction.
if David Weathers was a horse he would have to put down.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Ouch...Did not pitch well tonight. I just hope that this has been a great learning experience for him. He is the future of the Reds along with Hamilton, Phillips, Votto and now Cantu and Kepp.

Don't be fooled by the final score, Homer actually pitched very well in that game. His final line was 5 2/3 IP with just 2 ER, giving up 3 hits and 2 walks. Pretty good if you ask me, he should've got the win, but he was undone by bad defense (2 errors) and a leaky bullpen. I'm actually pretty happy with the way he has pitched since being recalled. If he pitches like this again next year, we will have a very solid top 3, along with Harang and a better-than-his record-shows Arroyo.

Oh, and Burton will almost certainly be closing next year.
More Cowbell Wrote:Don't be fooled by the final score, Homer actually pitched very well in that game. His final line was 5 2/3 IP with just 2 ER, giving up 3 hits and 2 walks. Pretty good if you ask me, he should've got the win, but he was undone by bad defense (2 errors) and a leaky bullpen. I'm actually pretty happy with the way he has pitched since being recalled. If he pitches like this again next year, we will have a very solid top 3, along with Harang and a better-than-his record-shows Arroyo.

Oh, and Burton will almost certainly be closing next year.

Oh really was it just 2 ER? I thought it was 5 ER in 5 2/3. My bad, I guess I looked at the stats wrong. In that case I am fairly pleased with his return. Welcome the future of Reds baseball, Bailey, Votto, Cantu, EE, Kepp, Phillips, Hamilton, and hopefully Bruce.