Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bengals vs. Seahawks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cincinnati goes to the west coast this Sunday to play the Seattle Seahawks. What are everyone's thoughts on this matchup? I'm sure we all know what happened to the Bengals last week, but Seattle hasn't looked all that impressive so far either. In week 1 they beat a suspect Tampa Bay team 20-6, and last week they lost to another iffy team in Arizona, 23-20. So they haven't exactly played some stiff competition.

You would figure that the Seahawks will not be able to slow down the Bengals' high-octane offense, but will the sorry Cincy defense be able to slow down Matt Hasselbeck and an aging Shaun Alexander?

Could be another shootout...
More Cowbell Wrote:Cincinnati goes to the west coast this Sunday to play the Seattle Seahawks. What are everyone's thoughts on this matchup? I'm sure we all know what happened to the Bengals last week, but Seattle hasn't looked all that impressive so far either. In week 1 they beat a suspect Tampa Bay team 20-6, and last week they lost to another iffy team in Arizona, 23-20. So they haven't exactly played some stiff competition.

You would figure that the Seahawks will not be able to slow down the Bengals' high-octane offense, but will the sorry Cincy defense be able to slow down Matt Hasselbeck and an aging Shaun Alexander?

Could be another shootout...

Hasselbeck, Branch, and all the others don't scare me: Alexander scares me. May be aging and may not be able to break big gains against most teams, but I'm afraid of him just ramming it down our throats, and maybe breaking a few big ones. Might not be enough to keep up with out high-powered offense, but it would be a steady flow that would keep our offense off the field. Running the ball would also open up the passing game, but the only one I'm even remotely worried about there is Branch.
I will take the Seahawks by 4 TD's just to see if Fritz spits his drink all over his keyboard.
BFritz Wrote:Hasselbeck, Branch, and all the others don't scare me: Alexander scares me. May be aging and may not be able to break big gains against most teams, but I'm afraid of him just ramming it down our throats, and maybe breaking a few big ones. Might not be enough to keep up with out high-powered offense, but it would be a steady flow that would keep our offense off the field. Running the ball would also open up the passing game, but the only one I'm even remotely worried about there is Branch.

I guess I am exactly the opposite. I'm not worried about Alexander, but rather the Seahawks' passing game. The Bengals' secondary has been picked apart so far this year, what with Leon Hall and the backup safeties making the expected rookie mistakes. Also, Jonathan Joseph can't get healthy, and Madieu Williams has still been a disppointment to me. Furthermore, Hasselbeck and Branch are better than any combo the Ravens or Browns could throw at them. If they couldn't stop Derek Anderson, what will Hassellbeck do to them? :eek:

On the other hand, Alexander is just starting to show some age, and like you said I don't see him breaking off any big gains. But unless the Bengals figure out how to cover some receivers and get some pressure on the QB, Seattle won't need him.
Midee1 Wrote:I will take the Seahawks by 4 TD's just to see if Fritz spits his drink all over his keyboard.

Yep, and I choked and almost died. You owe me a new keyboard:mad:
More Cowbell Wrote:I guess I am exactly the opposite. I'm not worried about Alexander, but rather the Seahawks' passing game. The Bengals' secondary has been picked apart so far this year, what with Leon Hall and the backup safeties making the expected rookie mistakes. Also, Jonathan Joseph can't get healthy, and Madieu Williams has still been a disppointment to me. Furthermore, Hasselbeck and Branch are better than any combo the Ravens or Browns could throw at them. If they couldn't stop Derek Anderson, what will Hassellbeck do to them? :eek:

On the other hand, Alexander is just starting to show some age, and like you said I don't see him breaking off any big gains. But unless the Bengals figure out how to cover some receivers and get some pressure on the QB, Seattle won't need him.

I guess I'm looking at is as yes, our DBs have struggled, but I think they'll be ok, and even if they don't stop Seattle too much, good luck going blow-for-blow with our passing game, cause only a very few teams can do that, and I don't think Seattle's one of them.
BFritz Wrote:I guess I'm looking at is as yes, our DBs have struggled, but I think they'll be ok, and even if they don't stop Seattle too much, good luck going blow-for-blow with our passing game, cause only a very few teams can do that, and I don't think Seattle's one of them.

Well, Derek Anderson and the Browns went toe-to-toe with our passing game last week, matching us with a score every time we seemed to close the gap in the second half. I kept thinking, "OK, it's down to 3, now we just have to stop them and we can get back ahead." Except that never happened.

I agree that few teams have a passing attack that can match ours, certainly not the Seahawks. The problem is that these other teams get to go up against the Bengals' pathetic pass defense, which can make any scrub QB look like a star (i.e., Derek Anderson). So the other team could actually have a better day passing simply because they have the privilege of seeing our defense.
Here are the things that worry me about this game.....

1. Seattle is coming off a tough divisional loss on the road just like we are.
2. Since '02 Seattle has the second best home record in the NFL (only Indy is better)
3. The noise could play havoc with our o-line also making it harder for Carson to call or change the play at the line of scrimmage.
4. Our defense will come out fired up and ready to play. But as the game goes along will Bresnahan make the necessary adjustments to counter Seattle's adjustments?

At this point in time guys I don't have a whole lot of confidence in reason #4.
Midee1 Wrote:I will take the Seahawks by 4 TD's just to see if Fritz spits his drink all over his keyboard.

I'm not Fritz but I almost passed out. I see you are from Flatwoods....Is that you Billy Ray??????
Bengal Cat Wrote:I'm not Fritz but I almost passed out. I see you are from Flatwoods....Is that you Billy Ray??????

Wow I thought what I did was low. That takes it to new levels of lowliness! Smile
I think the Cincy D shows up in this game, creates a huge turnover at the end of the game to seal it.....
Bengals 74
Seahawks 70

Marvin Lewis critical of Palmer throwing a pick, after Palmer goes 44-46, 734 yards and 8 touchdowns, says "Palmer could have played better had he not made all those mistakes"..
Rudi Johnson has 340 yards rushing and a touchdown on 18 carries. Lewis says he could have had 350 had he not tired out..
Midee1 Wrote:Wow I thought what I did was low. That takes it to new levels of lowliness! Smile

ROFL....Big Grin
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I think the Cincy D shows up in this game, creates a huge turnover at the end of the game to seal it.....
Bengals 74
Seahawks 70

Marvin Lewis critical of Palmer throwing a pick, after Palmer goes 44-46, 734 yards and 8 touchdowns, says "Palmer could have played better had he not made all those mistakes"..
Rudi Johnson has 340 yards rushing and a touchdown on 18 carries. Lewis says he could have had 350 had he not tired out..

:thatsfunn :thatsfunn
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I think the Cincy D shows up in this game, creates a huge turnover at the end of the game to seal it.....
Bengals 74
Seahawks 70

After all that....Bengals defensive cooridinator Chuck Bresnahan signs a contract extension.....lol
lol..a lifetime oneSmile
Bengal Cat Wrote:After all that....Bengals defensive cooridinator Chuck Bresnahan signs a contract extension.....lol
haha, and Chad Johnson has 30 catches for 550 yards and 6 touchdowns, Marvin Lewis says only if he would have had 1,000 yards today we would have played better.

Bengals 74
Seahawks 70

Gotta go with my favorite team at home in this one.

Seattle by 2 td's.
Seriously.....this is a game the Bengals are capable of winning. We need to put the Cleveland game behind us and move on because theres plenty of football left to be played. A win on the road against a quality opponent like Seattle would definitely be a step in the right direction.
Bengals 74
Seahawks 70

:thatsfunn :thatsfunn :thatsfunn Cool LOL...NICE...LOL
Bengal Cat Wrote:Seriously.....this is a game the Bengals are capable of winning. We need to put the Cleveland game behind us and move on because theres plenty of football left to be played. A win on the road against a quality opponent like Seattle would definitely be a step in the right direction.

Oh, we're more than capable of winning it. It would be a huge boost though, because then the New England game really has no revelence of winning or losing because we'd be through the hardest part of the schedule and we could win out very easily after the Patriots, or even beat them.
Well I've been a Bengals fan all my life & I don't know where some of you guys are getting your confidence. IMO they will travel to the West Coast & stink up the place in Seattle. If they can't beat the Browns, they can't beat many teams in the league. I have no faith in this team after that performance last week. I hope they prove me wrong, but I don't see it happening.
I wann asee the bengals win this 1
GB1 Wrote:Well I've been a Bengals fan all my life & I don't know where some of you guys are getting your confidence. IMO they will travel to the West Coast & stink up the place in Seattle. If they can't beat the Browns, they can't beat many teams in the league. I have no faith in this team after that performance last week. I hope they prove me wrong, but I don't see it happening.

Thats one mistake we often make (myself included). We try to judge whats going to happen this week by what happened last week. No doubt if they play (on defense) in Seattle the way they did in Cleveland, it's a lost cause. But what if the team that played Baltimore shows up? The Bengals will have a chance to win in most games they play as long as #9 is taking the snaps. As usual, the "x" factor is the defense.
GB1 Wrote:Well I've been a Bengals fan all my life & I don't know where some of you guys are getting your confidence. IMO they will travel to the West Coast & stink up the place in Seattle. If they can't beat the Browns, they can't beat many teams in the league. I have no faith in this team after that performance last week. I hope they prove me wrong, but I don't see it happening.

That doesn't make a lot of sense, just because they lost to the Browns does not equate that they can't beat the Browns. Cincinnati very well can beat them, and 9 times out of 10 they would, they just didn't get it done last Sunday.

Also, they may have lost to the Browns, but they also beat the Ravens in week 1, so it is silly to say they can't beat many teams in the league. The Bengals are capable of beating any team in the NFL, just as they are capable of losing to any team. It all depends on which Bengals defense shows up. If you watched both games, you would have to admit that they looked like two totally different defenses from week 1 to week 2. Where does the true Cincy defense lie? Probably somewhere in between.

This team will be very hard to predict all season long, but I can't imagine the defense plays that bad two weeks in a row. I say they pick it up this week and Bengals win by about 3.
Seattle by 10.
Bengals 74
Seahawks 70

Plausible..... like your reasoning for everything.
Losing to Cleveland has left a bad taste in the mouths of Bengals.They will either do something about it or just not be the that impressive with the Seahawks.
I pick Seahawks by-13