Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 15th region update (weekly update)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Another week so another update 

Teams                   Quality Reg W
1) Lawrence County:   Pikeville, JC, Pburg
(Top players) B Blevins, B Fletcher, A Collinsworth, B Maynard, W Lafferty 
2) Pikeville:                Paintsville 
T Lakin, T Walters, L Windle, B Birchfield, W. Hensley 
3) Paintsville;             Pburg, 2 JC 
Z Taylor, G Collins, B Ratliff, J Porter, H Phelps 
4) Prestonsburg:
P Burke, J Little, O Greene, B Slone, N Kidd
5) Johnson Central:
R Sartin-Slone, C Lemaster, M Crum, J Slone 

The top 5 are pretty clear cut. While the top 3 are so close it’s going to come down to who makes the fewest errors on said day. From 6 on is about anyone’s guess and here’s mine. 

6) Belfry 
7) Magoffin County 
8) Floyd Central 
9) Pike Co Central 
10) Shelby Valley 
11) Martin County 
12) Phelps 
13) East Ridge
14) Betsy Layne 
15) Jenkins 

Let’s hear it.
Close to the midway point in the season. So, we’ll take a closer look at how things seem to be falling into place IMO.

1) Lawrence County
2) Paintsville
3) Pikeville
4) Johnson Central
5) Belfry
6) Prestonsburg
7) Magoffin County
8) Pike County Central
9) Floyd County Central
10) Phelps
11) East Ridge
12) Martin County
13) Shelby Valley
14) Jenkins
15) Betsy Layne

Now I believe most of us will agree one of Lawrence County, Paintsville, or Pikeville will win the region. Those 3 are just a step above the rest of the field. Johnson Central, Belfry, or Prestonsburg could play spoiler for one of those teams. Should be a fun end to the season.
Of course anything can happen but if one of the top 3 do not win it would be a total shock. The regional draw could give one team a major advantage in not playing one of the other top teams in the semifinals.
(05-03-2021, 11:21 PM)2000PHS Wrote: [ -> ]Of course anything can happen but if one of the top 3 do not win it would be a total shock.  The regional draw could give one team a major advantage in not playing one of the other top teams in the semifinals.
The regional draw will be huge for one top team and hurt the other 2 top teams that would potentially meet up in the semi-final round. The top team that’s on the opposite side may be able to hold onto their horse till the finals. I think Lawrence County and Paintsville have the staffs to be able to do just that if their lucky enough to get a good draw. Not sure about Pikeville past Lakin. One thing is for sure, they’ll be one heck of a semi-final game in the 15th this year.
IMO Paintsville is the best team overall. And a further edge is someone will have to use a good pitcher to get by Johnson Central, who Paintsville wouldn't face until the finals. But you might lose to someone's ace trying to get cute and save your pitching. From what I have seen Paintsville is the deepest team. I don't think Pikeville will be a factor although Lakin can bounce either of the top 2. I put Paintsville's chance at 58, LC 37, JC + Pikeville 5, everyone else zero. All subject to change of course.
Pikeville's only shot IMO is win their district (mortal lock), not draw JC in the first round and use their 4-6 pitchers to advance, use Clark in semis if it's JC and Lakin if it's Paintsville or LC in semis, then you still have Clark or Lakin in finals. But Pikeville not the best hitting or fielding team so pitching will have to win the region.
(05-03-2021, 11:53 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]IMO Paintsville is the best team overall. And a further edge is someone will have to use a good pitcher to get by Johnson Central, who Paintsville wouldn't face until the finals. But you might lose to someone's ace trying to get cute and save your pitching. From what I have seen Paintsville is the deepest team. I don't think Pikeville will be a factor although Lakin can bounce either of the top 2. I put Paintsville's chance at 58, LC 37, JC + Pikeville 5, everyone else zero. All subject to change of course.
Paintsville may very well be the best overall team (they’re pretty dang good) but we do have to base our opinions somewhat on what has happened on the field. 

Lawrence County and Painstville have both beat Pikeville, (tho Pikeville has beaten Paintsville as well) JC, Martin Co, Belfry, and Pburg. Both have had a bad loss to a couple decent teams. Lawrence County has beaten 2 teams Huntington and Pikeville that has beaten Paintsville. While it’s knit picking it’s still facts. Both are great teams and I don’t really know who the favorite is right now. But based maybe solely on the Huntington game and Lawrence County having Blevins on the hill I have to put LC ahead of Paintsville at the moment. Also every member of Lawrence County’s starting 9 is hitting over .300 at the moment. While Paintsville has more pop at the plate I believe Lawrence County is more consistent with the bats. Paintsville has good arms but do they have a kid that can compete with Blevins on the mound because if LC sees Paintsville in the region tourney that’s who’ll they’ll be seeing?

(05-04-2021, 12:12 AM)I jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Pikeville's only shot IMO is win their district (mortal lock), not draw JC in the first round and use their 4-6 pitchers to advance, use Clark in semis if it's JC and Lakin if it's Paintsville or LC in semis, then you still have Clark or Lakin in finals. But Pikeville not the best hitting or fielding team so pitching will have to win the region.
Hitting hurts Pikeville the most IMO. Draws mean everything when it comes to tourney time.

Lawrence County’s best draw would be the 59th districts 2 seed then the winner of say Belfry 60th 1seed and JC 57th 2seed in the 2nd round. Both JC and Belfry would have to burn their number 1’s in that game. That would set LC up about perfect. Lord knows in 2019 they had to run the gauntlet to win the region. So, they’re due a break when it comes to draws lol.
(05-04-2021, 12:27 AM)fewfirstchoice Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2021, 11:53 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]IMO Paintsville is the best team overall. And a further edge is someone will have to use a good pitcher to get by Johnson Central, who Paintsville wouldn't face until the finals. But you might lose to someone's ace trying to get cute and save your pitching. From what I have seen Paintsville is the deepest team. I don't think Pikeville will be a factor although Lakin can bounce either of the top 2. I put Paintsville's chance at 58, LC 37, JC + Pikeville 5, everyone else zero. All subject to change of course.
Paintsville may very well be the best overall team (they’re pretty dang good) but we do have to base our opinions somewhat on what has happened on the field. 

Lawrence County and Painstville have both beat Pikeville, (tho Pikeville has beaten Paintsville as well) JC, Martin Co, Belfry, and Pburg. Both have had a bad loss to a couple decent teams. Lawrence County has beaten 2 teams Huntington and Pikeville that has beaten Paintsville. While it’s knit picking it’s still facts. Both are great teams and I don’t really know who the favorite is right now. But based maybe solely on the Huntington game and Lawrence County having Blevins on the hill I have to put LC ahead of Paintsville at the moment. Also every member of Lawrence County’s starting 9 is hitting over .300 at the moment. While Paintsville has more pop at the plate I believe Lawrence County is more consistent with the bats. Paintsville has good arms but do they have a kid that can compete with Blevins on the mound because if LC sees Paintsville in the region tourney that’s who’ll they’ll be seeing?

(05-04-2021, 12:12 AM)I jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Pikeville's only shot IMO is win their district (mortal lock), not draw JC in the first round and use their 4-6 pitchers to advance, use Clark in semis if it's JC and Lakin if it's Paintsville or LC in semis, then you still have Clark or Lakin in finals. But Pikeville not the best hitting or fielding team so pitching will have to win the region.
Hitting hurts Pikeville the most IMO. Draws mean everything when it comes to tourney time.

Lawrence County’s best draw would be the 59th districts 2 seed then the winner of say Belfry 60th 1seed and JC 57th 2seed in the 2nd round. Both JC and Belfry would have to burn their number 1’s in that game. That would set LC up about perfect. Lord knows in 2019 they had to run the gauntlet to win the region. So, they’re due a break when it comes to draws lol.
You say you have to base opinions on what has happened on the field, but Paintsville and Lawrence haven't been on the field together. To be clear I don't like Paintsville or Lawrence but I am telling you that if Lawrence's ace doesn't go against Paintsville I will take Paintsville all day long. I'm wrong all the time and so are you, if we knew what will actually happen in the 15th tourney they wouldn't have to play it.
(05-04-2021, 12:51 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]

(05-04-2021, 12:12 AM)I jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Pikeville's only shot IMO is win their district (mortal lock), not draw JC in the first round and use their 4-6 pitchers to advance, use Clark in semis if it's JC and Lakin if it's Paintsville or LC in semis, then you still have Clark or Lakin in finals. But Pikeville not the best hitting or fielding team so pitching will have to win the region.

You say you have to base opinions on what has happened on the field, but Paintsville and Lawrence haven't been on the field together. To be clear I don't like Paintsville or Lawrence but I am telling you that if Lawrence's ace doesn't go against Paintsville I will take Paintsville all day long. I'm wrong all the time and so are you, if we knew what will actually happen in the 15th tourney they wouldn't have to play it.
I agree with almost everything you said. I think Lawrence County and Paintsville would be a tight game without Blevins on the mound with it being a coin flip as to who would win. I just don’t think Painstville pitching is consistent enough to shut Lawrence County’s offense completely down. Now if Blevins is on the mound and if he is on that day Paintsville may get a hit or 2 against him and not much more. If he’s not on they’ll get a couple runs. But we’ll see next week how it will shake out without Blevins on the mound. LC and Paintsville play the 11th at Paintsville. LC probably wont throw Blevins, Fletcher, or Fletcher against them, LCs top 3. Painstville may see the freshman that threw against Pikeville? I’m willing to bet Paintsville won’t throw any of their top arms either. Should be a fun day tho.

But they have had common opponents. Huntington and Huntington threw (from what I was told) the same arm against us that they threw against Paintsville. It really doesn’t mean much but it’s the only info along with the Pikeville games we have to go on.
(05-04-2021, 01:07 AM)fewfirstchoice Wrote: [ -> ]

I agree with almost everything you said. I think Lawrence County and Paintsville would be a tight game without Blevins on the mound with it being a coin flip as to who would win. I just don’t think Painstville pitching is consistent enough to shut Lawrence County’s offense completely down. Now if Blevins is on the mound and if he is on that day Paintsville may get a hit or 2 against him and not much more. If he’s not on they’ll get a couple runs. But we’ll see next week how it will shake out without Blevins on the mound. LC and Paintsville play the 11th at Paintsville. LC probably wont throw Blevins, Fletcher, or Fletcher against them, LCs top 3. Painstville may see the freshman that threw against Pikeville? I’m willing to bet Paintsville won’t throw any of their top arms either. Should be a fun day tho.

But they have had common opponents. Huntington and Huntington threw (from what I was told) the same arm against us that they threw against Paintsville. It really doesn’t mean much but it’s the only info along with the Pikeville games we have to go on.
Common opponents is the most failed indicator in the history of sports. I get your love for LC and I get you think they will win it and you may be right. But no way close to being close to being anywhere close to being a sure thing. Pikeville has 2 pitchers who can take either team out. I think Paintsville wins the region it's just an opinion and it won't change until someone knocks them out of the regional tournament.
97% chance one of the top 3 win the region. Whoever gets the better draw is probably a 50% favorite over the other two. Paintsville, LC, and Pikeville can all beat each other on any given night. Pikeville might be the lessor of the offense but how many runs do you need with their ace on the mound? 3 runs and you know you are in a very close game almost always.
(05-04-2021, 08:42 AM)2000PHS Wrote: [ -> ]97% chance one of the top 3 win the region. Whoever gets the better draw is probably a 50% favorite over the other two. Paintsville, LC, and Pikeville can all beat each other on any given night. Pikeville might be the lessor of the offense but how many runs do you need with their ace on the mound? 3 runs and you know you are in a very close game almost always.
I agree with this. Whoever is playing the best at tourney time and gets a few breaks with the draw will more than likely win the regional tournament.

(05-04-2021, 02:17 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2021, 01:07 AM)fewfirstchoice Wrote: [ -> ]

Common opponents is the most failed indicator in the history of sports. I get your love for LC and I get you think they will win it and you may be right. But no way close to being close to being anywhere close to being a sure thing. Pikeville has 2 pitchers who can take either team out. I think Paintsville wins the region it's just an opinion and it won't change until someone knocks them out of the regional tournament.
It may not be the strongest indicator we can go on but it’s all we have at the moment. So, we have to give it a little credence in this situation. It’s how rankings are compiled with no head to head match ups. All 3 teams are great teams and will be a tough out for anyone. 

I wouldn’t say what I have is a great love for LC. I support them and do want to see them win because my son plays for them. That’s about the extent of it. That’s not my alma mater.
Paintsville 58%
LC 37%
JC 5%

Everyone else 0%
(05-04-2021, 11:30 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Paintsville 58%
LC 37%
JC 5%

Everyone else 0%
Stop it. Haha
May 3, 21 Paintsville home (L) 0 - 10 no
May 4, 21 Perry County Central home (L) 3 - 10 no

I'm serious.
^ Pikeville beats JC in semi-finals with their 2-3 in rotation and has ace for finals against LC/Paintsville that had to use their 1&2s in the semis= >0% of winning.
JC is definitely down this year compared to the last 5 years but Shawn Hall is started to mold this team together. They have started to play a little bit better the last two weeks. The biggest thing is that these young kids have started to figure out their roles on the team. I still think Lawrence, Paintsville, and Pikeville are more talented and more consistent but don’t necessarily leave JC for dead yet.
(05-05-2021, 03:03 PM)2000PHS Wrote: [ -> ]^ Pikeville beats JC in semi-finals with their 2-3 in rotation and has ace for finals against LC/Paintsville that had to use their 1&2s in the semis= >0% of winning.
[/url]

[Image: 6LGxC2Wt_normal.jpg]

15th Region Zone

@15thRegionZone

·
[url=https://twitter.com/15thRegionZone/status/1390828944786698241]2m

BASEBALL (FINAL)

Pikeville (10-10) - 5
Boyd County (15-4) - 0

Panther junior Tait Lakin: CG, SHO, 4 H, 15 K

[Image: 1f525.svg]

Tait can beat anyone in the15th in a win or done situation. As can the kid from LC. Paintsville has the depth at pitching and the lineup to apply pressure. Should be a fun tournament.

Of course I’m pulling for the Tigers and if they are fortunate enough to win the region, for my money, it is the greatest sports year ever for Paintsville. And maybe one of the best ever for a Class A school.

Everyone stay healthy and let’s have everyone at 100% going into the regional.
I see what you did there lol, turned a post about Lakin throwing a gem against a quality team into a PR infomercial about Paintsville sports. Don't get me wrong, I like it. So do you know Pikeville has 5 state championships in football and 5 or 6 state runner ups?

Ok back to the thread, Pikeville beat Boyd Co 5-0, then beat Corbin 11-0 in 5 innings with another gem from Clark, then beat Russell 5-4 in comeback fashion. 3 wins vs. quality teams who are much bigger schools.

Updated odds IMO...

Paintsville 36
LC 31
Pikeville 22
JC 11
^^^I wouldn't trade Lakin and Clark for anyone.
Pikeville needs to have help from 3-4 pitchers who are capable but have struggled, and clean up their base running. They have at least 2 runners per game erased from the basepaths lol. They just don't try to take the extra base, they try to take 2 extra bases lol. Pikeville leads the world in runners erased from the basepaths.
(05-08-2021, 10:53 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]I see what you did there lol, turned a post about Lakin throwing a gem against a quality team into a PR infomercial about Paintsville sports. Don't get me wrong, I like it. So do you know Pikeville has 5 state championships in football and 5 or 6 state runner ups?

Ok back to the thread, Pikeville beat Boyd Co 5-0, then beat Corbin 11-0 in 5 innings with another gem from Clark, then beat Russell 5-4 in comeback fashion. 3 wins vs.  quality teams who are much bigger schools.

Updated odds IMO...

Paintsville 36
LC 31
Pikeville 22
JC 11
I was looking forward to the updated odds!

I was talking about a single year. Even Pikeville can’t win 5 state championship in football in ONE year haha

Also add a 4th place finish in the State Fishing Tournament and “Big Fish” for the Tigers! 

My odds: 

whoever avoids the other two in the semifinals- 60% 

other two- 20% a piece
^JC starting to play better, outside shot IMO if they can get help from the other three knocking each other out, But the draw will give someone an advantage no doubt.