Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 15th region update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After a couple weeks, I’d go:

1)Lawrence County 2) Pikeville 3) Paintsville 4) Johnson Central 5) Prestonsburg these are the teams that will battle it out for our region IMO. 

The top 3 are pretty interchangeable at this point IMO.

LC is off to a 5-1 start with Blevins only playing one full game. When they get Blevins back with the way this team is starting to hit the ball and their stellar defense, WATCH OUT!

Pikeville after their cold start has been pretty dang good. Lakin is the real deal and their bats after been better than a lot of people thought.

Paintsville is a team still trying to figure some things out. When they get Ratliff and Fugate back to full go after basketball they may end up being the best team in the region.

JC has struggled some early but hey their JC. Sartin-Slone and Lemaster will have them playing like contenders when the time is right.

Prestonsburg has been the surprise of the region so far. Their kids are buying in and playing well right now. Can they keep it up? Not sure but I hope. The region is always better when Pburg is contending.
(04-13-2021, 11:37 AM)fewfirstchoice Wrote: [ -> ]After a couple weeks, I’d go:

1)Lawrence County 2) Pikeville 3) Paintsville 4) Johnson Central 5) Prestonsburg these are the teams that will battle it out for our region IMO. 

The top 3 are pretty interchangeable at this point IMO.

LC is off to a 5-1 start with Blevins only playing one full game. When they get Blevins back with the way this team is starting to hit the ball and their stellar defense, WATCH OUT!

Pikeville after their cold start has been pretty dang good. Lakin is the real deal and their bats after been better than a lot of people thought.

Paintsville is a team still trying to figure some things out. When they get Ratliff and Fugate back to full go after basketball they may end up being the best team in the region.

JC has struggled some early but hey their JC. Sartin-Slone and Lemaster will have them playing like contenders when the time is right.

Prestonsburg has been the surprise of the region so far. Their kids are buying in and playing well right now. Can they keep it up? Not sure but I hope. The region is always better when Pburg is contending.
Every 15th region team would have had a cold start if they had played in the Super Prep in Louisville like Pikeville did. Pikeville's coach said in the local paper they played the AL East lol...#1 Trinity, Butler twice, and University, probably the top 2A team in Indiana. Opened with Ashland before going to Louisville. Schedule is already paying big dividends, as evidenced by the big win over Paintsville in the All-A region championship.
Shane ain’t scared of competition. He will always have a plan of attack and whether you agree with it or not, he doesn’t care haha

I haven’t seen LC, but Pikeville and Paintsville look good early.

Paintsville just defeated JC 10-0. Down year for JC standards?
Right now you’d have to have Paintsville and Pikeville a head of Lawrence County by a hair. At the end of the year one of those 3 teams will be your 15th region winner IMO.
Coach Ratliff definitely has Prestonsburg headed in the right direction. They're young and a very confident group right now.

Looking forward to district play.
(04-14-2021, 02:08 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Coach Ratliff definitely has Prestonsburg headed in the right direction. They're young and a very confident group right now.

P-Burg had Paintsville on the hopes early in their All A matchup.
(04-14-2021, 10:52 AM)2000PHS Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-14-2021, 02:08 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Coach Ratliff definitely has Prestonsburg headed in the right direction. They're young and a very confident group right now.

P-Burg had Paintsville on the hopes early in their All A matchup.
So strange him and Lemaster coaching against his kids and grandkids.
JC is going to take some lumps this year. They are playing a lot of young kids and just don’t have the weapons to compete with the top 3.

It’s a shame that they did not get a chance to play last year. That team had a chance to make a deep run and even compete for a state championship.
Paintsville defeated JC last night in what can only be described as an ugly game in cold weather that will not make the highlight reel for either team. JC probably had 8+ errors and I would assume double digits in walks given up...Paintsville didn’t fare much better and had maybe 5-6 hits?

Final score 13-11.
(04-16-2021, 12:09 PM)2000PHS Wrote: [ -> ]Paintsville defeated JC last night in what can only be described as an ugly game in cold weather that will not make the highlight reel for either team. JC probably had 8+ errors and I would assume double digits in walks given up...Paintsville didn’t fare much better and had maybe 5-6 hits?

Final score 13-11.

I watched a couple of innings of this game and it was one of the worst games I’ve ever seen. An example of typical inning. Paintsville scores 3 runs on 0 hits, 5 walks and an error. 

I was happy to see JC put up some runs and compete after laying a dud in game 1. The first game was over as soon as Ryan Sartin Slone got injured IMO.
Lawrence County with a 5-4 victory at Pikeville today.
Great game today between Lawrence County and Pikeville. 5-4 LC in the end. Lawrence County also beat Hazard 15-1 and Pikeville beat Scott Co 13-3 I believe.
(04-17-2021, 11:19 PM)fewfirstchoice Wrote: [ -> ]Great game today between Lawrence County and Pikeville. 5-4 LC in the end. Lawrence County also beat Hazard 15-1 and Pikeville beat Scott Co 13-3 I believe.
Yes and Scott County beat Lawrence County also. Lawrence didn't face any of Pikeville's top pitchers either, don't know who Lawrence threw but he was good. 3 way race for region championship and probably will take 3 good pitchers to take it.
Pikeville faced Lawrence County’s number 4. He is a 14yr old freshman. Neither team faced the others ace. So, they were in the same boat. Lawrence County won a game that was well played by both schools. The fact that Lawrence County won bolds well For them when both throw their aces. Both teams will have trouble scoring off either kid though IMO.

LC did lose to Scott Co after LC brought in a kid who had zero varsity innings ever to my knowledge. It’s was a tough lose after being up 8-1 but a lose none the less. Pikeville and LC both are quality programs with great coaches and kids. The region will come down to those 2 and Paintsville no matter how you slice it.

It was 8-4 when we brought in the young kid against Scott Co, my bad.

(04-18-2021, 10:02 PM)fewfirstchoice Wrote: [ -> ]Pikeville faced Lawrence County’s number 4. He is a 14yr old freshman. Neither team faced the others ace. So, they were in the same boat. Lawrence County won a game that was well played by both schools. The fact that Lawrence County won bolds well For them when both throw their aces. Both teams will have trouble scoring off either kid though IMO. 

LC did lose to Scott Co after LC brought in a kid who had zero varsity innings ever to my knowledge. It’s was a tough lose after being up 8-1 but a lose none the less. Pikeville and LC both are quality programs with great coaches and kids. The region will come down to those 2 and Paintsville no matter how you slice it.

Scott County won, end of story. And no it doesn't mean it bodes well for Lawrence. Lakin is a D-1 all the way throwing BBs at close to 90. The difference is huuuuge and LC won't face anyone like him. Raceland got 1 hit against him Friday night and then mercied Ashland Saturday. But I agree with most of your post. #1s on the hill in the regional tourney will be great baseball. Anyone know where the 15th will be held? Could give someone the edge...
(04-18-2021, 10:50 PM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-18-2021, 10:02 PM)fewfirstchoice Wrote: [ -> ]Pikeville faced Lawrence County’s number 4. He is a 14yr old freshman. Neither team faced the others ace. So, they were in the same boat. Lawrence County won a game that was well played by both schools. The fact that Lawrence County won bolds well For them when both throw their aces. Both teams will have trouble scoring off either kid though IMO. 

Scott County won, end of story. And no it doesn't mean it bodes well for Lawrence. Lakin is a D-1 all the way throwing BBs at close to 90. The difference is huuuuge and LC won't face anyone like him. Raceland got 1 hit against him Friday night and then mercied Ashland Saturday. But I agree with most of your post. #1s on the hill in the regional tourney will be great baseball. Anyone know where the 15th will be held? Could give someone the edge...
Just like Lawrence County beat Pikeville, end of story lol. 

Lakin is a great pitcher who will end up at a D1 school no doubt but you do realize who LC number 1 is don’t you? Blevins is committed to UK, sitting 87-88 hitting 90. Lakin was sitting 85-86 Saturday (Shane’s words not mine). If Pikeville had 4 hits against our 14yr old freshman who was sitting 77-78 that’s doesn’t bode well for them against Blevins does it? Lawrence Co has kids who have hit off D1 committed kids all last summer. Lakin is great not taking anything away from the kid but the Lawrence County kids can play to. I’d he and Blevins both are dealing anyone will have a hard time hitting either of those kids tho. 
P.S. do you not think the Lawrence County boys take live swings off of Blevins? ??‍♂️ So yes, they have seen live similar to Lakin.
^^^I'll take Pikeville. And I hope LC coaches aren't dumb enough to use Blevins' arm up on BP.
(04-19-2021, 12:12 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]^^^I'll take Pikeville. And I hope LC coaches aren't dumb enough to use Blevins' arm up on BP.
You really have no idea how baseball works if you don’t think the LC kids have never seen Blevins arm in live action.

You know before the season started and teams were practicing the boys had to see some live action right to get ready. LC threw all their arms at times to build up their arm strength so, you know they could throw more than 20 pitches when the games actually started. It’s better to throw your arms at that time against live hitters than in the bull pen. But I’m sure you already knew that. 

You can take Pikeville all you want, that’s fine and they may well win the region. They have a good team but if you watched the Pikeville hitters struggle Saturday against our freshman arm and think they will magically knock Blevins around when they face him I’d like to know your reasoning behind that?
I think Pikeville will beat LC in the regional tournament if they play. Not going to explain it, you have a different opinion and that's fine. And that's what makes it fun.
(04-19-2021, 12:49 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]I think Pikeville will beat LC in the regional tournament if they play. Not going to explain it, you have a different opinion and that's fine. And that's what makes it fun.
Didn’t ask you to explain it. I respect your opinion regardless if it differs from mine or not. I just pointed out to you, that yes, the LC boys have faced a pitcher similar to a Lakin. I’ll take LC if they play in the regional tournament (because all the others games are all just practice) because I think LC has better offensive players and a better #1 on the mound.
Both are legit D1 pitchers. But it’s funny you say Blevins is sitting 87-88 hits 90 when both were at PBR earlier in the year and Lakin was 86-87 and Blevins was 82-84. As you say Lakin was 86-87 last weekend and Blevins is up in velocity by 6 in a couple months. What game did Blevins throw this weekend? Wish the best to both always good to see the 606 kids go on to play D1!!
(04-20-2021, 10:57 PM)Panthers Dominate Wrote: [ -> ]Both are legit D1 pitchers. But it’s funny you say Blevins is sitting 87-88 hits 90 when both were at PBR earlier in the year and Lakin was 86-87 and Blevins was 82-84. As you say Lakin was 86-87 last weekend and Blevins is up in velocity by 6 in a couple months. What game did Blevins throw this weekend? Wish the best to both always good to see the 606 kids go on to play D1!!
Being the baseball expert you are I’m sure you realize that pitchers aren’t always their best on certain days. You know, tired arm, nagging injuries, feeling ill or just ran down you know everyday life for teenagers. Much like Lakin had when he faced Paintsville. Sitting 82-83 all day (not my words Shane’s again) and giving up a long ball to A Miller Paintsville 7 hole hitter. Nothing to be ashamed of. Pitchers go through days like that. I’m surprised you didn’t realize that.  Bryce was consistently sitting 87-88 against Belfry the first game of the year. Numbers straight from the stalker not the oh eye test. Blevins is coming off an injury, so I’m sure he won’t be back to 87-88 his first start or 2 back but it won’t take him long I wouldn’t think. 

like I’ve said both are legit D1 arms who have bright futures. So I wish some of the Pikeville fans on here would quit trying to diminish the kids accomplishments. Tip your hat and wish him well. I wish every 606 kid nothing but the best.
Like I said I’m for all the 606 kids and it’s evident it’s all LC for you. I’m no expert but kids with nagging injuries, illness, tired arms don’t go to PBR to throw bullpens. Not much change of being run down in early spring either but like I said I’m no expert. Kid is a stud but he hasn’t ever hit 90 at any PBR event that has been posted. But none of that matters anyways he has nothing to prove until he gets to Lexington. Wish him the best.
(04-20-2021, 11:31 PM)Panthers Dominate Wrote: [ -> ]Like I said I’m for all the 606 kids and it’s evident it’s all LC for you. I’m no expert but kids with nagging injuries, illness, tired arms don’t go to PBR to throw bullpens. Not much change of being run down in early spring either but like I said I’m no expert. Kid is a stud but he hasn’t ever hit 90 at any PBR event that has been posted. But none of that matters anyways he has nothing to prove until he gets to Lexington. Wish him the best.
Uh, yes kids do lol. You really don’t understand how the summer and recruiting circuit works do you lol. You get seen when you can get seen. 

Also of course I’m all LC. Never once said I wasn’t. But you’ll not find one post of me putting a kid from the 606 down or trying to diminish their accomplishments. 

He may not have hit 90 at a PBR event, I don’t go to every event they go to. I do know he’s hit 88 at one before. Also if you want to do some digging go to Midlands Twitter account and you’ll find tweets where he’s hit 89 a good number of times. Not sure if there’s one with him hitting 90 there or not. Both are great and both throw gas.