Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Johnson Central 71 East Ridge 68 (3OT)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
JC survives against East Ridge in triple overtime.

(03-22-2021, 09:32 PM)Mister D Wrote: [ -> ]JC survives against East Ridge in triple overtime.

Absolute master class in coaching by Tommy McKenzie to win this game against a fantastic East Ridge game. JC held the ball for the entire 3rd overtime and Isiah May hits a 3 pointer with 2.7 seconds left.
Hats off to East Ridge. Most of the team returns and a top notch coach. They put the region on notice for next season.

JC is just JC. Tommy McKenzie keeps getting it done.
Can't let JC hold the ball the entire 3OT, tough decision by ER. No shot clock excuses please.
(03-22-2021, 09:36 PM)Yep Real Badman Wrote: [ -> ]Can't let JC hold the ball the entire 3OT, tough decision by ER. No shot clock excuses please.
Yep, poor decision for sure.
Why would you let them hold the entire 3rd OT ?
That was the best 15th region game I’ve seen in a long time. There was so many momentum swings and big time shots. In the first overtime ER is up 2 with 2 seconds to go. Tommy McKenzie pulls a rabbit out of the hat by having Cory Vanhoose screen the guy covering the inbounds. East Ridge player just barreled him over and Cory makes two free throws to tie the game up.

In second overtime JC is up 3 when Jonathan Mills hits a fade way three with Isiah May all over him.

In the third overtime JC holds the ball the entire time and Isiah May hits a 3 with 2.7 seconds left. Then Isaac Woods almost makes a banked in 3 pointer from past half court.

It was just an absolute classic.
McKenzie made a insanely good coaching call having The kid set up to run into the guy guarding the end bounds but it was still a flop and a half and a completely shameful call. That game should have been over. Please watch the replay and tell me that’s a foul. He flopped the ER kid stopped before he got there.
It can be a good coaching move and a shameful call at the same time
Congrats to JC, although I don’t agree with the blocking call at the end of the first overtime. I’ve witnessed many teams try this over the years and this is the first time a foul has actually been called.
I’d like to see a replay of it. Originally the ref gave the charge call them changed it.
I think it should have been a no call. No way it can be a charge on JC bc ER guy ran him over. Looks like a flop and I'm sure that was the idea to put the ref in the situation to make a call. You can watch the replay on David and Darrell
(03-22-2021, 09:45 PM)SouthEast18 Wrote: [ -> ]McKenzie made a insanely good coaching call having The kid set up to run into the guy guarding the end bounds but it was still a flop and a half and a completely shameful call. That game should have been over. Please watch the replay and tell me that’s a foul. He flopped the ER kid stopped before he got there.
It can be a good coaching move and a shameful call at the same time

That's completely fair. I have not seen a replay of the call and it very well could have been a flop on second view. In real time it was a bang-bang call and any contact puts a lot of pressure on the referee to call a foul there.

I'd like to see a replay of the play before that call too. Mills for ER drove down the lane and looked like there could have been a possible charge call before he passed it off to Sykes to take the lead.

It hurts tonight but I think East Ridge has a lot to look forward too. They have a fantastic core returning including Woods, Sykes, and Mills. That trio could reasonably lead them to a regional championship.
(03-22-2021, 10:46 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]I’d like to see a replay of it. Originally the ref gave the charge call them changed it.

Should have been a no call imo. Completely bailed JC out. But I guess you could also say that the ER player shouldn’t have gave them the opportunity to call it. It is what it is.
Regardless of my stance on the blocking call, those were some clutch free throws by that young man regardless.
What a game. Hate that east ridge had to play JC in the first round. Arguably two of the best teams in the tourney play first round. East ridge should be back next year tho.
Sounded like a great game.
For those wanting to see the charge call, it is located at 2:10:05 in the link below.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_f...oser=false
Thought it was a definite foul in real time, watching the replay it looks like Vanhoose definitely sold it somewhat. Still a great decision to put the official in a spot to make that bang bang decision. Great High School basketball game.
On the call at end of first overtime, question to ask is would same official call block at top of the key on same contact earlier in the game, if so, good call. There is a difference of opinion on this call among disinterested parties.
(03-23-2021, 08:43 AM)Panther Thunder Wrote: [ -> ]Thought it was a definite foul in real time, watching the replay it looks like Vanhoose definitely sold it somewhat. Still a great decision to put the official in a spot to make that bang bang decision. Great High School basketball game.

I felt the same way in real time it looked like a clear foul. After watching it on replay Rose definitely puts his arm into Vanhoose’s chest but Vanhoose also sells it some. I don’t think it was a complete flop or a shameful call but I also could easily see it being a no call.
I think that the charge call may have been a no call without the forearm making contact. IMO, the forearm probably swayed the official. I think the right call was made.
(03-23-2021, 12:10 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: [ -> ]I think that the charge call may have been a no call without the forearm making contact. IMO, the forearm probably swayed the official. I think the right call was made.
Still tough to have an call from an official determine a game. In that situation if I’m ER I have defenders posted up to defend until the whistle is blown to inbound then I would have pulled them ALL back to half court. Take it out of the officials hands and put it in Fate’s hands for JC to make a half court heave!