Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: WYMT Mountain Classic Knox 81 Wolfe County 74
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final. Third WYMT championship game appearance for Knox in last 4 years. Will face Harlan County tomorrow.
Knox coach must actually teach dirty basketball. They are really good at it. Wolfe would have won if Wilgus Tolson hadn’t been ejected early int the game.
What was Tolson ejected for?
(02-06-2021, 08:22 PM)clipperw Wrote: [ -> ]What was Tolson ejected for?
The first T was when Tolson became upset because he thought a Knox player charged over him and it wasn’t called. 
The second T wasn’t  very clear to me, and evidently not the TV broadcast crew either, who noted after reviewing the replay that they didn’t see anything that warranted a T and ejection. 
Although Wolfe gave it a valiant effort it was obvious that they missed Wilgus, who is one of their top scorers and defenders. 
It was a big decision on the officials to call the second T because it meant he would not be eligible to play in the second game of the day vs Hazard a few hours later, the third place game.
The first T he received was  crazy. A kid violently pushes him down, he gets up and maybe says something. Second one, his feet gets tangled up with another player. A ref from the other side of the court calls the 2nd T. Wolfe had a good shot at winning the tournament with him playing.
I agree that Wolfe County had a good shot at winning the tournament with Tolson as they could have really used him on the defensive end against Knox . I came away impressed with Wolfe though as they almost beat a really good Knox County team without him. I thought Jaz Johnson out played Devonta Turner as they guarded each the entire game, and Thompson hit some tough 3s for the Wolves. The entire Wolfe County team played tough and I think they will be the team to beat when the regional tournament gets going. Knox County is big, physical and has shooters, Turner is one of the best players around and I think Knox gives North Laurel a run for the money in the 13th. Wolfe and Knox played a whale of a high school basketball game I thought.
(02-06-2021, 09:18 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: [ -> ]
The first T was when Tolson became upset because he thought a Knox player charged over him and it wasn’t called. 
The second T wasn’t  very clear to me, and evidently not the TV broadcast crew either, who noted after reviewing the replay that they didn’t see anything that warranted a T and ejection. 
Although Wolfe gave it a valiant effort it was obvious that they missed Wilgus, who is one of their top scorers and defenders. 
It was a big decision on the officials to call the second T because it meant he would not be eligible to play in the second game of the day vs Hazard a few hours later, the third place game.

(02-07-2021, 12:05 AM)Wolfeman Wrote: [ -> ]
The first T he received was  crazy. A kid violently pushes him down, he gets up and maybe says something. Second one, his feet gets tangled up with another player. A ref from the other side of the court calls the 2nd T. Wolfe had a good shot at winning the tournament with him playing.

Did we watch the same game? Tolson tried to draw an off the ball charge by stepping in front of a guy looking the other way, then flopping. Guy barely made contact. He was given a “T” for this. They second “T” he just ran over and pulled a Grayson Allen move, intentionally tripping the guy. Both were blatant and he should have been ejected. Khsaa should also look into a possible suspension. Kid plays out of control for the most part. Shoots horrible shots. Takes away from the offense. The team has no flow and others appear to get frustrated with him at times. They have looked horrible at times this year. Looked like a much better team without him to be honest.
(02-07-2021, 02:15 PM)wannacat Wrote: [ -> ]

(02-07-2021, 12:05 AM)Wolfeman Wrote: [ -> ]

Did we watch the same game?  Tolson tried to draw an off the ball charge by stepping in front of a guy looking the other way, then flopping.  Guy barely made contact.  He was given a “T” for this. They second “T” he just ran over and pulled a Grayson Allen move, intentionally tripping the guy.  Both were blatant and he should have been ejected.  Khsaa should also look into a possible suspension.  Kid plays out of control for the most part.  Shoots horrible shots.  Takes away from the offense.  The team has no flow and others appear to get frustrated with him at times.  They have looked horrible at times this year.  Looked like a much better team without him to be honest.
well buddy you must not watch or know anything about Wolfe County, or basketball, for that matter. must’ve not watched the game either.
Lol. Watch the video. # 22 runs over Tolson like a Mack truck. If anyone is suspended it should be him. once they look at the film, I think that may happen.
(02-07-2021, 06:00 PM)Wolfeman Wrote: [ -> ]Lol. Watch the video. # 22 runs over Tolson like a Mack truck. If anyone is suspended it should be him. once they look at the film, I think that may happen.
Yeah, it appeared to me that he just bowled over Tolson when he turned around. I don’t think it was intentional and I think it actually caught both him and Tolson off guard too, but it definitely was not a flop. The refs had 3 choices, a no-call, a blocking foul and a charging foul. They chose the no-call play on route. It looked like a charge to me but I’m only basing that on the TV image. 
The second technical was more unclear to me from the tv view. The two broadcasters commented it didn’t appear to be anything worthy of a technical. But he might have said something in both instances that we couldn’t hear, I don’t know.

Tolson is a player who plays with a lot of emotion. Sometimes it carries you to another level and sometimes it puts your team in a tough position.

I couldn’t tell about the second T from TV either, but the first one was just unnecessary and there’s never anything to gain from a kid getting upset over a ref’s call. I’ve yet to see a kid argue a call and get it overturned. Let the coach work the refs.
I watched this game and was really impressed with how Wolfe played down a starter, especially impressed with Jaz Johnson, he has had a great year so far and everyone knows he is one of the best scores in the mountains, but he really played tough defense on Turner for Knox and rebounded in traffic . He is a do it all player for Wolfe County, plays hard, I really like his game.
Wolfe county played pretty well even down a starter, not sure how many free throws knox shot but I am sure it was a whole lot more than wolfe county did. Thompson for Wolfe hit some tough threes and Johnson for Wolfe is just flat out tough, he is the best player in the 14th , Turner for knox is really good too.