Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What's Wrong with Ashland?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now that they have started the season 0-3, is there something wrong with Ashland? Are they really down this season or have they just played tough competition and not been able to win? What needs to change?
down and had some injuries this week....like all the starting offensive line...
I'm asking the same question. The Tomcats are obviously having all kinds of problems.
They are young and do not have alot of talent to reaplace what they lost from last year.
I agree. I've felt that Ashland has been getting things done with smoke and mirrors for the last few years. Good coaching, good placement of personnel, and great effort by heir kids. Not the most talented or deep team. It may take them a year or two to "replenish" the ranks. Plus, they're going to be playing some pretty stiff competition.
Very young team and injuries.
I have heard from some of the Ashland faithful that they do have some young kids playing, but they also have several inexperienced upper classmen playing this year, but that can change as the season progresses, but then you throw in a couple of injuries and it could make for a long season.
Well whatever is wrong with them i am loving it. its the best news ive heard in a while. i love when your at the game and the anouncer is telling the scores and for the past 3 weeks asland has been getting beat everytime. its like music to my ears.
I'm glad Ashland is down this year, It serves them well after the cheating they pulled on Belfry and Russell last year.
Easy answer...the teams Ashland has played have been BETTER TEAMS than them. They actually BEEFED UP their schedule this year.

When you do that, sometimes LOSSES result. But often -- AS LONG AS THE FANS, PLAYERS, and PARENTS ARE POSITIVE -- the team is better LATE in the season when it matters than they would've been by just "building confidence" through beating weak sisters of the poor.
They did not BEEF up their schedule. The move to 5A did that for them. The out of district opponents are the same except for this year they played Pikeville and last year they played Belfry. That IMO is not beefing up.
FBALL Wrote:They did not BEEF up their schedule. The move to 5A did that for them. The out of district opponents are the same except for this year they played Pikeville and last year they played Belfry. That IMO is not beefing up.

Good point on Pikeville/Belfry exchanging places...but didn't they play Ironton THIS year but not last?
Panther1 Wrote:Good point on Pikeville/Belfry exchanging places...but didn't they play Ironton THIS year but not last?
You are correct on that. Ironton couldn't play last year do to a new conference affiliation. They played Portsmouth west. They did play Ironton in 2005.
Pirate4Life Wrote:I'm glad Ashland is down this year, It serves them well after the cheating they pulled on Belfry and Russell last year.

How did Ashland cheat during these two games?? I'm really interested to hear what u can come up with!
Injuries can really hurt a team. Especially when you lose a couple of your team captains. I can vouch that Ashland has had a rough schedule, as Ironton is, well, Ironton, and the winner of the Raceland - Pikeville game around Thanksgiving will probably be your 1A state champ. Regardless of class, state champs are state champs. I look for Pikeville to go 9-1 on the season, but it's very possible they'll be 10-0, if they can beat my Pirates in a couple weeks.

Ashland's not had it easy so far.
Sarrr Wrote:the winner of the Raceland - Pikeville game around Thanksgiving will probably be your 1A state champ.

Raceland/Pikeville will not be the 1A state champ. Beechwood and LCA are still in 1A.
Sponge Bob Wrote:Raceland/Pikeville will not be the 1A state champ. Beechwood and LCA are still in 1A.

Smile There are some in eastern Kentucky, whose lives never touch outside of the mountains.
Sarrr Wrote:Injuries can really hurt a team. Especially when you lose a couple of your team captains. I can vouch that Ashland has had a rough schedule, as Ironton is, well, Ironton, and the winner of the Raceland - Pikeville game around Thanksgiving will probably be your 1A state champ. Regardless of class, state champs are state champs. I look for Pikeville to go 9-1 on the season, but it's very possible they'll be 10-0, if they can beat my Pirates in a couple weeks.

Ashland's not had it easy so far.
Ironton is not the same kind of football team they have been in the past.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Smile There are some in eastern Kentucky, whose lives never touch outside of the mountains.

On the same note there are some in eastern Ky that realize there are many good teams here. Belfry and Russell in the past 4 years comes to mind. All the talk was how the western teams will handle them easily because western football is far superior to eastern football. We all know how that turned out. 3 state championships and a 15-12 loss to a very strong Mercer Co team.