Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New Rules?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just want to hear some other opinions on the new rule changes this year. You no longer can lead with your helmet when tackling or running the football. This means no diving into the end zone or even over a pile. I know this is a safety rule but I think it is taking a lot out of the game of football. I also heard that they called a hurdling penalty the other night against P-burg. Anyone else think these rules are ridiculous?
HazzBeen Wrote:I just want to hear some other opinions on the new rule changes this year. You no longer can lead with your helmet when tackling or running the football. This means no diving into the end zone or even over a pile. I know this is a safety rule but I think it is taking a lot out of the game of football. I also heard that they called a hurdling penalty the other night against P-burg. Anyone else think these rules are ridiculous?

The new hurdling penalty can only be called on the defense. Even though it was called on an offensive play on Prestonsburg quarterback Bobby Hughes. The flag can only be thrown if a defensive player uses another player to block a kick or make a tackle.

But I think they are completley turning football into a soft sport.
I posted earlier about the leading with the head rule and just heard about the call of Hurdling last week.. As far as safety goes... make the kids walk so they dont strain themselves or twist an ankle. Now to be serious about this...... calling the head to head contact is understandable but hurdling..... come on .!!!
sounds like the officials that made these calls need to go back and read these rules again.
I played with a kid in HS who broke his neck on a tackle when he dropped his head.

The "leading with the helmet" rule is valid, believe me. This is HS football, and these kids have the rest of their lives to live. Most of them won't play football beyond their senior year, and the few that do probably won't play beyond college.

I still don't fully understand the Hurdling rule, myself.
Hurdling rule i say thats bull and crap its a part of the game and should be able to be done but the droping of the head is a great rule, and you can to trowed out of the game for it now you can drop a shoulder but be careful when you do cause soem of the ref's we have here in KY are blined in one eye and can't see out of the other one. So i say let the kids play!!!!!!!
I just don't like the ball carrier not being able to dive for extra yardage.
Football is, has, and always will be a physically dangerous sport. Things happen. Injuries occur. I am 100% behind making and enforcing rules that keep the players safe, but when you start to take the physicality out of the game and force players to play passively, injuries can happen then, too. What I'm trying to say is keep the players as safe as possible while still keeping the spirit of the game in mind. If you don't want the kids to beat and bang on each other and risk getting injured, you might as well outlaw football.
I understand the dunking your head and making contact, but football is football. Contact will occur. Back in my days of playing high school and college I would always hit an opposing player head up. I never went out of my way to use my shoulder. Personally I prefer to see what I am hitting that way it reduced the chance of a missed tackle. Yeah I knocked myself senseless and cross-eyed a few times, but I really don't see what the problem is if you have your head up, shoot your arms to make a tackle if your facemask makes contact first and not the crown of the helmet. Now with this rule and being scared of a 15-yard personal foul, a lot of backs and receivers are going to get more yardage because the defense will start to arm tackle. If people are scared of getting pinched nerves, stingers, or burners you can buy a variety of head and neck protective gear such as cowboy collars, neck rolls, Douglas and Powerpack head restrictors. I wore a cowboy collar in high school, a Douglas head restrictor in college and never had the first one.