Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands Head Coach Resigns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has informed the team he will not be returning next season. So the search for someone new begins.
No surprise here. Highlands has fell back to the pack
How many years has Brian Weinrich been there?
I heard the whole coaching staff is gone. This is 3 years too late
(12-01-2020, 08:34 PM)bo67 Wrote: [ -> ]I heard the whole coaching staff is gone. This is 3 years too late

I feel like you definitely said this two years ago. I can specifically remember it.
(12-01-2020, 08:34 PM)bo67 Wrote: [ -> ]I heard the whole coaching staff is gone. This is 3 years too late

Isn’t every assistant coach on a 1 year contract anyway? I think the new head coach will hire his own staff, including possibly some of the current assistants, so to say the whole staff is gone may be a little premature.
That’s true. But if he takes any of those coaches. He better choose wisely. Some of those coaches were the problem also
(12-01-2020, 08:15 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]How many years has Brian Weinrich been there?

20 years from what I’ve heard. Obviously not all as head coach.

(12-01-2020, 08:15 PM)E's Army Wrote: [ -> ]No surprise here. Highlands has fell back to the pack

Agreed. It’s mind blowing too because the youth feeder program is huge and has tons of kids wanting to play.
(12-01-2020, 10:45 PM)Sportsdadof2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2020, 08:15 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]How many years has Brian Weinrich been there?

20 years from what I’ve heard. Obviously not all as head coach.

(12-01-2020, 08:15 PM)E's Army Wrote: [ -> ]No surprise here. Highlands has fell back to the pack

Agreed. It’s mind blowing too because the youth feeder program is huge and has tons of kids wanting to play.
As folks familiar with the program. What happened to them?
Hello, and thanks for the add to BGR!  I'm an outsider looking in but I believe Highlands problems are that the culture changed significantly from Mueller to Wienrich, and not for the better.  There has been little accountability in the program, kids are not pushed to do what is best for the team, the best players are not always playing where they need to be playing, upperclassmen were gifted starting spots over more talented underclassmen and coach W did not do any community outreach or work closely with the Junior football programs as had been the practice in the past.  There is also a talent gap that has been there for many of the past several years.  For whatever reason, up until just the past 2 classes (This year's Sophomore and Freshman which have had some really good talent)  the classes have only had a small handful of really good football players and the balance of those classes have consisted of kids who love the game, but do not have the physical tools or the athletic ability to be game changers.  It is my understanding that the 8th grade teams in the FTJFL were very good this season and that there is expected to be a very good incoming freshman class next year.  The next coach is walking into a very good opportunity to turn the program around.
You made some very valid points. No matter what the talent level I don't think this past coaching staff has the ability or knowledge to make a team a winner. The difference between Mueller and Weinrich is night and day. Mueller won state with about the same talent level. If the talent is better coming up. I don't think it would've made a difference with this past coaching staff
(12-02-2020, 03:05 PM)bo67 Wrote: [ -> ]You made some very valid points. No matter what the talent level I don't think this past coaching staff has the ability or knowledge to make a team a winner. The difference between Mueller and Weinrich is night and day. Mueller won state with about the same talent level. If the talent is better coming up. I don't think it would've made a difference with this  past coaching staff
I agree 100%. The outgoing staff was not going to see success regardless of the incoming talent. That said, the problem mainly stemmed from coach W. There are some good and knowledgeable coaches on staff who should be given some re-hire consideration from whomever the new head coach is.  I know many of the staffers were unhappy with the decline.
Back in 2013 when Weinrick was named coach Someone confronted Mueller and said it was a bad decision. It was said Weinrich was just like Mueller. As we see. It’s almost the opposite. That coaching staff has become stagnant I’m not sure about any of them
If you really believe that Highlands losses has more to do with coaching than a talent drop off you’re wrong and wear tinted glasses. Is Highlands still talented? Yes. Could they be better? Sure. But they aren’t the highlands of a few years ago.

That being said, wonder who they’ll target?
(12-02-2020, 04:27 PM)KYHSFB Wrote: [ -> ]If you really believe that Highlands losses has more to do with coaching than a talent drop off you’re wrong and wear tinted glasses. Is Highlands still talented? Yes. Could they be better? Sure. But they aren’t the highlands of a few years ago.

That being said, wonder who they’ll target?

Why has the talent dropped off so much?
Mueller won state with same talent. They had some real good players on those teams from 2015 to present. Muellers teams were all great players Everyone wasn’t super stars. Talent down at Highlands for 6 consecutive years??? I don't think so

I meant all Muellers players were NOT great players
I disagree that the talent has not been down for the past 5+ years. There have been some really good players, but never more than a handful in any one season. There is no way to hide 4or 5 mediocre players on O or D. Add to that the facts that Wienrich had a penchant for playing seniors over more talented underclassmen, especially in the skill positions and was adamant that the 2 platoon system be used, it was a recipe for creating exactly what we have seen.
So the talent was there and he didn’t utilize it? That sounds just about like him
I’ll be fascinated who they go after. Lots of young talented coaches who could reinstate that tradition of winning.

Just hope they open it up to find a best candidate.

Just curious this is high school not college, how do you replace a whole coaching staff unless there are multiple teaching positions available, you just can't create teaching positions.
(12-03-2020, 10:21 AM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote: [ -> ]

Just curious this is high school not college, how do you replace a whole coaching staff unless there are multiple teaching positions available, you just can't create teaching positions.

If a school wants you bad enough they’ll make sure you can get your guys in and create available spots. The flip side of that is Easiest way to run out head coaches is to tie their hands so they can’t fill spots.
They MUST go outside to hire a head coach. Nothing but the same problems throughout that coaching staff

Only the head coach has to be a teacher right? So the assistants don’t need positions open up for them necessarily.
It was the AD first year. I’m only speculating. But was this mostly Community driven???
(12-04-2020, 12:22 AM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]

Only the head coach has to be a teacher right? So the assistants don’t need positions open up for them necessarily.

One person on the coaching staff needs to be employed by the district. I think that’s it.
(12-05-2020, 10:49 AM)zaga_fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-04-2020, 12:22 AM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]

One person on the coaching staff needs to be employed by the district. I think that’s it.
My high school basketball team all four years had a head coach that wasn’t a teacher and then three assistants that were not teachers and then the fourth was a teacher. So you are probably right about that.