Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lawrence County discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What happened to Lawrence County football? Did the interest in football die in Louisa? LC was always a perennial power in the region for many years. You don’t see the same talent on the sideline like in 80’s, 90’s, and 00’s.
I remember seeing them on sports overtime when I was a child all the time, they always acted like they were the Packers it seemed like. But I don't know?? Did they have a coaching/leadership change? Reclassification? Economy or job loss in the area?
Lawrence County hasn’t been a threat in their class since the late 90s.

I know two players went to Huntington this past year.
(11-03-2020, 08:28 AM)Hound05 Wrote: [ -> ]I remember seeing them on sports overtime when I was a child all the time, they always acted like they were the Packers it seemed like. But I don't know?? Did they have a coaching/leadership change? Reclassification? Economy or job loss in the area?
The Dawgs are not the power house they use to be. I wish they was I really miss the games with Belfry when these teams would just go at each other and it was anybody's game year in/out. But yes there was a major coaching/leadership change and with the mines and half the power plant shutting down sure hasn't helped anything. But I feel the major change has happened in the administration. I'm looking forward to see the Dawgs getting their swagger back but I really don't see it happening under the current administration and coaching/leadership. I have moved away from Louisa but I still try to follow my Dawg Family once a Dawg always a Dawgs
1. Chuke WIlliams ain't walking through that door. Guy was a winner as a coach and developed talent.
2. That wave of talent with several D1 guys has not been replicated.Not only could Chuke develop talent, but when you have natural athletes to sprinkle alongside that is a big help.
3. Luke Salmons is no Chuke WIlliams, but when he went to Cabell Midland you had a re-set. The bouncing around of coaches killed their momentum.
4. Johnson Central grew into a powerhouse right down the road. Families with a choice of where they wanted to move will choose JC early on.
5. Belfry has been a bear and the pinnacle of Belfry's program has coincided with Lawrence being in the same District most of those years.
6. The economy and the coal/fossil fuel industry had people moving out.
7. Lawrence's facilities have not evolved and are basically the same as what Chuke Williams left them.