Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland getting turf?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heard that Ashland was getting turf next year?
Seems to be a rumor like this floating around every year. Let me check with some higher ups and I'll try to confirm or deny by the weekend.
You would think if programs like Coal Grove and South Point could afford to put in turf, some of the football tradition rich schools in this part of Kentucky could afford it.
Hope this rumor is true.
Would love to see turf on the field.
fan~of~all Wrote:Hope this rumor is true.
Would love to see turf on the field.
I disagree, the natural turf on Doug Childers Field was a labor of love for the man the field was named after.
Ashland has the best natural turf I have seen. If anything they might want to look into using rubber pellets to reinforce the field under the grass like Fleming Co does. It has a real comfortable feel and it's still natural.
I agree, Ashland's field is the best natural surface field I have ever seen. I think they should do the rubber pellets thing that DevilsWin is talking about...but not turf.
I agree that I'd hate to see the natural field go, but there does need to be some extra measures taken because the field gets too torn up during bad weather and with the excessive numbers of games that are played there.

The reasoning behind going to turf are:
1. Much easier to maintain
2. Much cheaper to maintain
3. Does not get worn out week to week

The problems with going to turf is that although it is cheaper to maintain once it is installed, it has a large upfront cost that most people aren't willing to provide, especially because of the kind words, of our own and visiting teams alike complimenting the field itself.
I sure hope this is JUST A RUMOR! That will KILL THE TRADITION OF ASHLANDS HISTORIC LANDMARK IMO!
I read that some VA school is making yearly payments, so it doesn't HAVE to be paid for up front.
Its a great filed that I once had the oppuity to play on as a kid in pee wee ball and aslo when i was in high school and winning a state championship as a freshman in 1990, even though the turff filds are nice i think they should leave it as it is!!!!
They shouldn't change anything about that field. It is a great atmosphere and it wouldn't be the same on turf. That is my opinion anyway.
Heard it from someone else today