Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Prestonsburg 41 Lewis Co. 16
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from Lewis County on 10/23.

The Blackcats moved the ball at will. Shot themselves in the foot a few times with turnovers, but fought back and made some big plays. Prestonsburg is a completely different team when they don't put the football on the ground. Slone, Akers, McGuire, and Jarvis are getting better each game at slipping past defenders and finding open field.

Also, this one got called with 8 mins to go in the 4th quarter due to weather.

Congrats Blackcats!!!
Always good to see Prestonsburg winning!
Glad to see P Burg competing and getting the W! Looks like they’re headed in the right direction!
(10-25-2020, 06:41 PM)Blue_Bird96 Wrote: [ -> ]Glad to see P Burg competing and getting the W! Looks like they’re headed in the right direction!

They definitely are headed in the right direction. It's become more common these days that everyone wants instant success and that's just not how it works all the time. Prestonsburg had kids go elsewhere for high school and I'm glad that those boys are succeeding. Brewer has the talent pool he was given to work with and he's making the most of it and they're utilizing and asking a lot out of their underclassman. Had a freshman start on the offensive line in this game and I think those are the right decisions. Get these young guys used to varsity speed and physicality and they'll be a step or two ahead of a lot of their competition when they're upperclassmen.

Prestonsburg has a long ways to go still, but they're headed in the right direction and time will reflect that.
(10-25-2020, 08:38 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-25-2020, 06:41 PM)Blue_Bird96 Wrote: [ -> ]Glad to see P Burg competing and getting the W! Looks like they’re headed in the right direction!

They definitely are headed in the right direction. It's become more common these days that everyone wants instant success and that's just not how it works all the time. Prestonsburg had kids go elsewhere for high school and I'm glad that those boys are succeeding. Brewer has the talent pool he was given to work with and he's making the most of it and they're utilizing and asking a lot out of their underclassman. Had a freshman start on the offensive line in this game and I think those are the right decisions. Get these young guys used to varsity speed and physicality and they'll be a step or two ahead of a lot of their competition when they're upperclassmen.

Prestonsburg has a long ways to go still, but they're headed in the right direction and time will reflect that.
I was excited to see Prestonsburg sitting at 3-4 on the year, until I looked at who they have beaten. Out of the three teams they have defeated, only one team has won a game and that being East Ridge. I think the Martin County game will be the true measuring stick on how much, or if they have improved. If they play a competitive game against Martin County, then I believe Brewer has them headed in the right direction. Any way you look at it, Brewer came into a tough situation, with all of the kids transferring out, but if he can keep the kids that are currently at Prestonsburg in the program, then he will build the program back up. Good luck to Coach Brewer and the Blackcats.
(10-27-2020, 11:10 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote: [ -> ]I was excited to see Prestonsburg sitting at 3-4 on the year, until I looked at who they have beaten. Out of the three teams they have defeated, only one team has won a game and that being East Ridge. I think the Martin County game will be the true measuring stick on how much, or if they have improved. If they play a competitive game against Martin County, then I believe Brewer has them headed in the right direction. Any way you look at it, Brewer came into a tough situation, with all of the kids transferring out, but if he can keep the kids that are currently at Prestonsburg in the program, then he will build the program back up. Good luck to Coach Brewer and the Blackcats.

Brewer inherited a very tough situation. Kids went to other schools, the soccer program took off, and he was left with a handful of guys who had real varsity experience and the rest were sophomores and freshman. Those guys are juniors and seniors now and come up with the kids that are juniors and seniors at another school that is doing really well. Right now Brewer is still playing a ton of sophomores and freshman. I think in two years, you can start having higher expectations for this program. A lot is going to depend on player development and keeping athletes that play for Adams and Pburg elementary at Prestonsburg. It's very important for Brewer to development a trust with a lot of these kids and their parents once things start getting back to normal.

The Martin County game will be the biggest game coach Brewer has had since he's been at Pburg. If the Blackcats beat Martin County and finish the year with a winning record then the program has momentum going into the off season, which is something they haven't had since he's been here. Winning games is going to be very important over these next few years. Prestonsburg isn't in a position right now to compete with or schedule the programs we're accustomed to them playing. I'm not saying they should punch down, but they have to schedule games that are at least winnable or competitive to keep a positive attitude in the program and community.
(10-27-2020, 09:26 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: [ -> ]Brewer inherited a very tough situation. Kids went to other schools, the soccer program took off, and he was left with a handful of guys who had real varsity experience and the rest were sophomores and freshman. Those guys are juniors and seniors now and come up with the kids that are juniors and seniors at another school that is doing really well. Right now Brewer is still playing a ton of sophomores and freshman. I think in two years, you can start having higher expectations for this program. A lot is going to depend on player development and keeping athletes that play for Adams and Pburg elementary at Prestonsburg. It's very important for Brewer to development a trust with a lot of these kids and their parents once things start getting back to normal.

The Martin County game will be the biggest game coach Brewer has had since he's been at Pburg. If the Blackcats beat Martin County and finish the year with a winning record then the program has momentum going into the off season, which is something they haven't had since he's been here. Winning games is going to be very important over these next few years. Prestonsburg isn't in a position right now to compete with or schedule the programs we're accustomed to them playing. I'm not saying they should punch down, but they have to schedule games that are at least winnable or competitive to keep a positive attitude in the program and community.

I couldn’t agree more.

With all due respect to the upperclassmen, I believe it’s important to keep the sophomore class together. They are the ones who can really start to turn this program back around. They have a few kids who are about the typical size of Prestonsburg kids and they’ve got a few athletes in the class that remind you of PBurg of old.

I’m so proud of all who have stuck around. There’s something about having pride and playing for the same team that your daddy and grand daddy played for.

Anyone can transfer and go build an all star team elsewhere.

Hail Blackcats!