Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: RPI Updated By KHSAA for October 10, 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I still hate RPI
I think we likely all hate it and with covid playing such a large role this year its worse but we are going to have to live with it
RPI is a joke, in 2A it has Somerset and Beechwood at #6 and #7. I didn't even bother to look at the rest.
3A Belfry at #6 Ashland at #9 LOL
4A JC at #2 the system is broken and needs dumped or fixed
There’s still 4 games left before playoffs. Dont forget how well RPI did last year. Only game where the two best teams didn’t play was 3A because Desales wasn’t in it. RPI is designed for the final product.
(10-10-2020, 12:20 PM)JustThinking Wrote: [ -> ]RPI is a joke, in 2A it has Somerset and Beechwood at #6 and #7. I didn't even bother to look at the rest.

im happy with Mayfield currently at #1 in 2A but their remaining schedule will slide them backward which is interesting.  The RPI is bad for scheduling.  Mayfield scrambles to find a game and settles for playing Fulton Co or possibly nobody at all.  Yes they get to play but it will cost them dearly in RPI and chances of home playoff games.  Then of course Covid can totally knock screw up the entire playoffs.  I guess I should not complain and be happy there is any football
I do believe it needs adjusting but its way better than the old system of alternating each year on who host the games. I thought last year it worked really well. Give it some time the cream always rises to the top.
The RPI will always be a joke. It punishes teams for being placed in weak districts and rewards teams for beating weak opponents who play weak schedules. I believe that Johnson Central is probably the second best team in the state right now and they will be lucky to hang onto a top 4 seed in 4A if they run the table. 

No offense to Belfry fans and I am sure that North Hardin has a good team but does anybody still believe that they are the second best team in 6A? The RPI has them ranked first in 6A and has Belfry ranked sixth in 3A. That makes no sense at all.
I’m probably going to catch a lot of flack but I want to say it.

Johnson Central is deserving of #1 in 4A. They are playing that well. But being 2nd in a computer poll to Boyle right now isn’t a slap.

Boyle seems an afterthought among some right now. They lost a lot but are playing good, not great ball right now and getting the job done.

Last year the Eagles earned and won the title but it was only by a missed EP by the best kicker in the state. Both teams were that close to each other.

I think it’s probably the same this year as well.
RPI doesn't matter till after 2nd round. Some of these teams may not be around. Like LCA, Somerset same district, but really screwy on RPI in a lot of classes.
Personally, if RPI gave points for the quality of score and used maybe a calpreps predicted score or something to go off of, then the ranking would be a lot better. Belfry coming up with a 1 point loss and it counts the same as a 50 point loss. Hopefully the Khsaa will alter the rpi when the districts are realigned and make some improvements to such a weak system.
(10-10-2020, 12:43 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: [ -> ]There’s still 4 games left before playoffs. Dont forget how well RPI did last year. Only game where the two best teams didn’t play was 3A because Desales wasn’t in it. RPI is designed for the final product.
It got extremely lucky last year in 1A. The two best teams in 1A did play in Lexington but they were #2 and #4 in the RPI.
(10-10-2020, 01:56 PM)Hatz Wrote: [ -> ]I’m probably going to catch a lot of flack but I want to say it.

Johnson Central is deserving of #1 in 4A. They are playing that well. But being 2nd in a computer poll to Boyle right now isn’t a slap.

Boyle seems an afterthought among some right now. They lost a lot but are playing good, not great ball right now and getting the job done.

Last year the Eagles earned and won the title but it was only by a missed EP by the best kicker in the state. Both teams were that close to each other.

Being top two is fine. Only when you slip to 3 or 4, you have a problem. In 4A, as a JC fan, depending on what Covid says, maybe JC goes undefeated, but loses a district game to Covid...semis in Danville? Or Hopkinsville, Lou Central, Wayne Co? Or vice versa?
FootballFan1999 Wrote:There’s still 4 games left before playoffs. Dont forget how well RPI did last year. Only game where the two best teams didn’t play was 3A because Desales wasn’t in it. RPI is designed for the final product.

RPI was broke last year....and it's broke this year.   Bell Co had a cake walk into the finals.....I mean a cake walk!    However....the two best teams DID play.  Belfry beat DeSales...at DeSales in a double OT thriller.   Definitely.....Belfry and DeSales were the two best teams.  No questions there
(10-11-2020, 09:34 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: [ -> ]
FootballFan1999 Wrote:There’s still 4 games left before playoffs. Dont forget how well RPI did last year. Only game where the two best teams didn’t play was 3A because Desales wasn’t in it. RPI is designed for the final product.

RPI was broke last year....and it's broke this year.   Bell Co had a cake walk into the finals.....I mean a cake walk!    However....the two best teams DID play.  Belfry beat DeSales...at DeSales in a double OT thriller.   Definitely.....Belfry and DeSales were the two best teams.  No questions there

I don’t think it was broke in 2A or 4A.

(10-11-2020, 01:59 AM)Diogenes Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-10-2020, 01:56 PM)Hatz Wrote: [ -> ]I’m probably going to catch a lot of flack but I want to say it.

Being top two is fine. Only when you slip to 3 or 4, you have a problem. In 4A, as a JC fan, depending on what Covid says, maybe JC goes undefeated, but loses a district game to Covid...semis in Danville? Or Hopkinsville, Lou Central, Wayne Co? Or vice versa?

I think it works itself out. It worked fine in 4A n 2A last year.