Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Barrow Alaska's Field of Dreams
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Barrow Alaska is located on the North Slope of Alaska and is the Northern most settlement on the North Americian mainland. The field is located just yards from the Artic Ocean, notice in the pictures of the players taking a plunge in the ocean after their game on August 17, 2007 that it was 10pm and still daylight.

http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2007...arrow.html
That's pretty cool....bet it will be dang cold playing on the ocean though...
lol i bet they lose alot of balls in the ocean
Beef Wrote:That's pretty cool....bet it will be dang cold playing on the ocean though...

I read a article about Barrow where it reported that they average 109 days a year where temperatures go above 36 degrees.
That was a great story... And it was awesome how the field was set up, and amazing on how close it was to the ocean.
There was a story on one of the ESPN shows about this place last year. Quite a remarkable story. Last year they just basically just played on dirt ( though Id say that field was still probably nicer than Wheelwright/South Floyds old field LOL!) Im glad to see they got a nice field to play on.
Old School Wrote:I read a article about Barrow where it reported that they average 109 days a year where temperatures go above 36 degrees.
Yup...that's what it said. I was just referring to the wind coming off the water. I know how cold it gets when playing at Beechwood next to the river, can't imagine how cold it will be up there when the playoffs roll around.....:eek:
This is one of the greatest things that could have happened to these kids! Congrats and good luck to the Whalers. The field look great!
Great story!!!
My question is what are they going to do at high tide or when the water floods the field
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:There was a story on one of the ESPN shows about this place last year. Quite a remarkable story. Last year they just basically just played on dirt ( though Id say that field was still probably nicer than Wheelwright/South Floyds old field LOL!) Im glad to see they got a nice field to play on.

They were playing on an old Gravel yard. Alot of donations from all over the US backed one mother I believe in Atlanta, GA that saw the show on ESPN and decided to help out. Her husband is a coach in the Atlanta area. There was alot of personal and corporate people got onboard to make this happen for this community. I also believe that the closet town that plays football is about 5 hours or so away.
RedRaiderNation Wrote:They were playing on an old Gravel yard. Alot of donations from all over the US backed one mother I believe in Atlanta, GA that saw the show on ESPN and decided to help out. Her husband is a coach in the Atlanta area. There was alot of personal and corporate people got onboard to make this happen for this community. I also believe that the closet town that plays football is about 5 hours or so away.

I just read the lady is from Jacksonville, FL.

Here is the ESPN story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/s...age=tundra
Great story and God Bless them boys!!