Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 2020 Johnson Central
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
9/11 @ Bell County
9/25 @ Simon Kenton
10/2 @ Clay County
10/9 vs Perry County Central
10/16 @ Harlan County
10/23 vs Letcher County Central
10/30 vs Belfry
11/6 @ Bourbon County
Going to Bell County and then going to Simon Kenton..... probably not another team in the state that will travel to the opposite ends of the state like we are. From Log Mountain on the Cumberland Gap to the banks of Ohio River.
Have they Had any luck finging that 9th game?
CardinalAlum Wrote:Have they Had any luck finging that 9th game?

Not that I'm aware of..... never doubt Matney & AD McKenzie, they'll find somebody.
Another state Finals for them and probably another title coming home to Johnson County
JC vs SK should be a good one.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Going to Bell County and then going to Simon Kenton..... probably not another team in the state that will travel to the opposite ends of the state like we are. From Log Mountain on the Cumberland Gap to the banks of Ohio River.
Seems like every year we travel to the ends of the earth....
On paper, JC has some M A J O R spots to fill.

Five senior starters on Offense from the state finals game. Would be six, but an injury during the playoffs sidelined our starting FB.

Five senior starters on Defense from the state finals game.

The Kicker & Punter were also seniors.

Three of the five played both ways (R. Preece, C. Rice & D. Johnson)

Looks like we'll have thirteen returning starters (in different positions) from the state finals game.
Example; Dillion Preston is getting counted twice for starting on Def. & Off.
Definitely some nice returning linemen to anchor the offense and a good looking defense overall returning. I like watching them on film. They play hard.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:On paper, JC has some M A J O R spots to fill.

Five senior starters on Offense from the state finals game. Would be six, but an injury during the playoffs sidelined our starting FB.

Five senior starters on Defense from the state finals game.

The Kicker & Punter were also seniors.

Three of the five played both ways (R. Preece, C. Rice & D. Johnson)

Looks like we'll have thirteen returning starters (in different positions) from the state finals game.
Example; Dillion Preston is getting counted twice for starting on Def. & Off.

I think people will be surprised how much talent we had not in the game due to talent in front of them. There are some holes, but I know that there was a good amount of players that probably could have started in about any other program on the sidelines last year. This is, of course, an opinion. I am sure the flaming will begin.
Bull got out! Wrote:Definitely some nice returning linemen to anchor the offense and a good looking defense overall returning. I like watching them on film. They play hard.

Old guy Wrote:I think people will be surprised how much talent we had not in the game due to talent in front of them. There are some holes, but I know that there was a good amount of players that probably could have started in about any other program on the sidelines last year. This is, of course, an opinion. I am sure the flaming will begin.

The on the KHSAA website, the class 4A media guide has Cody Rice starting in front of Dillion Preston at RB.

There's not enough words to describe how good Cody played on Off. & Def. against Boyle Co., but the state finals MVP is technically listed as a back-up. Dillion scored a rushing TD and had some major plays on defense, but think about that for a second.... the class 4A state finals MVP is listed as a backup RB.

How many other teams in the state, in any class, can say that?
It is the Golden Eagles Title to win again. I don't think anyone else can come close.
I also think that people will be surprised at JC's QB play this season. While Grant Rice has not taken many snaps as Ryley Preece's backup for two years, he has played great on defense in big games, including the Boyle County game last year. He is better prepared for the pressure facing a first year high school QB than most players and he led his 8th grade team to a middle school state championship in 2017.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I also think that people will be surprised at JC's QB play this season. While Grant Rice has not taken many snaps as Ryley Preece's backup for two years, he has played great on defense in big games, including the Boyle County game last year. He is better prepared for the pressure facing a first year high school QB than most players and he led his 8th grade team to a middle school state championship in 2017.

I think Grant has lost only two games as a starting QB going back to 5th grade.
Johnson Central is a PROGRAM.

Ten years ago if JC would have lost the talent they did they would be hurting, even in Matney's early years.

Now it is simply interchangeable parts in most instances.

I do think losing Preece and Devin Johnson both ways will definitely have an impact, but JC is still absolutely loaded with high end veteran players.

It also doesnt hurt when you have three D-1 guys including the most sought after recruit from EKY since Tim Couch taking the field.
I am just hoping we get to see them play.
I think Mason Lawson will have a nice season. Kids been busting it since the day after they won it all and has gotten a lot stronger.
Awesome. Fill us in, what’s his numbers?
Bull got out! Wrote:Awesome. Fill us in, what’s his numbers?

6th on the team in carries last year as a freshman. 4 of the 5 in front of him were seniors. Had two INT’s on the year. In the state championship game he had a catch a couple carries and kick return. Not bad at all for a freshman on a team of their caliber last year. I think he’ll break out as a sophomore this year. Don’t know many kids that work as hard as he does.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:6th on the team in carries last year as a freshman. 4 of the 5 in front of him were seniors. Had two INT’s on the year. In the state championship game he had a catch a couple carries and kick return. Not bad at all for a freshman on a team of their caliber last year. I think he’ll break out as a sophomore this year. Don’t know many kids that work as hard as he does.

That’s good numbers behind those guys in front of him. I would hate to be a freshman going up against that defense last year in practice. Sounds like he is year’s ahead of himself.
Bull got out! Wrote:Awesome. Fill us in, what’s his numbers?

Just to be clear... what player are you talking about?
New site looks good!!!!
yes it does.
Just hope to play on 9/11 at Bell County.
Does Johnson Central still need a 9/18 game?
As far as I know, we still need one.
Here you go

Ashland
Frederick Douglass
Johnson Central
Lawrence County
Mason County
Paris
Simon Kenton
St. Xavier

I see two teams Johnson County can play and try and earn some respect.
I would like to see them play Freddy Doug. That would be a good one.
Just me or does it seem like Johnson is getting slept on this upcoming season?
(09-02-2020, 10:18 PM)Real Badman Wrote: [ -> ]Here you go

Ashland
Frederick Douglass
Johnson Central
Lawrence County
Mason County
Paris
Simon Kenton
St. Xavier

I see two teams Johnson County can play and try and earn some respect.
Try and earn some respect? We’ve played in five straight state championships and have won two of them. So do you actually think our program isn’t respected? As for the teams you’ve graciously listed above I’ll give you the break down on each. 

Ashland- Our AD Tommy McKenzie, Coach Matney and myself has contacted Ashland about playing and all three of us has been told no. 

Fredrick Douglas- I contacted Coach McPeek early in the scheduling process about a game and he wasn’t interested. We are contacting them again since they’re still needing a game. 

Johnson Central- We can’t play ourselves. We do that Monday thru Thursday. 

Lawrence County- Both myself and Coach Matney have contacted Lawrence and they said no. This was before they stopped everything for two weeks. 

Mason County- I contacted Mason myself and they said no. 

Paris- I’m not even wasting the time for an email. If the top teams in Class A said no there’s no way Paris will. 

Simon Kenton- We’re playing them on 9/25 

St Xavier- Our AD contacted them early in the process and they weren’t interested. We contacted them again late last night about playing but there’s no response yet.
Pages: 1 2