Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Limiting players in Uniform
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The ruling of limiting the amount of players in uniform was understandable and unfortunate. Especially if the JV and Freshman seasons are impacted. It may end up being that it won't affect most teams, I know in eastern Ky Corbin & Belfry normally dresses way more than 60 kids. What does this mean for kids who will have to be told "no" when they say they want to wear a uniform and be a part of a team at their school. That's tough, and very unfortunate. Not many kids willing to practice only, the thrill suiting up and Friday night lights is all they got. I guess the best way to handle it would be to put a blanket rule in place to not dress freshman who aren't starters, or rotate the subs each Friday with like a Red/White roster I'm sure it won't be an issue? I completely understand the reasoning just a tough call for some kids.

"I am not on Team Everyone gets a trophy" BTW
You make some good points. It would be tough for a kid just to practice. It depends on their desire ultimately. But it would be tough. It may be best to not dress freshman or some type of rotation. But the teams with that many kids are generally pretty good, so the desire may be to say with it, even if you can't dress for now.
Football is like the only sport that does this.

You don't see freshmen who aren't good enough for JV or varsity sitting on varsity basketball benches.

When we have to social distance off the field or court, having unlikely to play unless blowout kids taking up space on buses, in locker rooms and on sidelines/benches goes completely against spirit of social distancing
Will be a nice research assignment, but will be interesting to see how many players appeared in a varsity game for each team last year compared to how many who appeared in at least half.
I somehow missed this. So the KHSAA put a limit on the number of players that can dress for a game?
barrel Wrote:I somehow missed this. So the KHSAA put a limit on the number of players that can dress for a game?

Yes.

15 for volleyball

24 for soccer I think

Postseason roster rules now in effect
This decision reeks of "need to do something to make it look like we did something"

I get it. It effects so few teams anyway. But I don't see the point.
Why not lengthen the sideline from the 20 to the 20 and put cheerleaders in the end zone (if we have cheerleaders at all). That gives them plenty of room.
Go Blazers Go Wrote:This decision reeks of "need to do something to make it look like we did something"

I get it. It effects so few teams anyway. But I don't see the point.

I agree that it reeks of the need to do something comment. If the players are on the team, are practciing, and around their teammates, you should let them dress. My freshman year we started the season with around 70 players if not more. I was one of the players who just stood on the sideline, but I was excited and proud every Friday night to put on the uniform and run out on to the field. I also think that if you're going to play the games, you should let the cheerleaders cheer. They work really hard as well.
https://twitter.com/NateInSports/status/...5840857088

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

According to online stats submitted to the @khsaa scoreboard, only 5 of 26 varsity programs in Louisville had at least 60 players appear in a #khsaa varsity game in 2019

[Image: EeLxkbYWoAI_5X3.jpg]
Hambley Wrote:Why not lengthen the sideline from the 20 to the 20 and put cheerleaders in the end zone (if we have cheerleaders at all). That gives them plenty of room.
It was mentioned before but I don’t know if they made it official. They mentioned expanding the coaching box from the 10 to the 10.
barrel Wrote:It was mentioned before but I don’t know if they made it official. They mentioned expanding the coaching box from the 10 to the 10.

That was approved in the first July Meeting I thought.
Severely hurts the bigger programs in the state.
Real Badman Wrote:Severely hurts the bigger programs in the state.

How so?
Cursory glance at KHSAA site, by my count in the 5A championship game 17 players saw the field for Cov Cath and 32 for Fred Doug. 60 is more than enough.