Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Footballs Back...YES
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Seeing all these pictures and video on social media with teams out practicing makes me happy, so glad the mask and social distancing regulations for our kids isn's an issue, these kids are resilient and it was crazy to think you can coach kids keeping them 6 feet apart and wearing a mask anyway. I'm starting to think the season may go and return to normal.

In all honesty, did all these graduations need to be cancelled and schools shut down, was it really necessary that we were all put through all that we have, that so much was taken from the class of 2020. I'd love to know what is different now, what's changed for the powers that be to decide to turn things loose now?
I wouldn't count my chickens.

I put the likelihood of football at about 15% right now.
jamesclay Wrote:I wouldn't count my chickens.

I put the likelihood of football at about 15% right now.
Malarkey.
There should only be conditioning, based on Herr Beshear's guidelines. Not sure if I would classify that as football being back.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2932...-play-2020

Fauci WILL kill football if it is up to him...
Ramcat77 Wrote:There should only be conditioning, based on Herr Beshear's guidelines. Not sure if I would classify that as football being back.

True. That’s all that is supposed to be going on. Very limited. No locker rooms. Conditioning only. But...it’s better than nothing at all. 😊🏈🏈
I was also under the impression that all they could do was condition in small groups, but what I've seen is large groups of kids practicing, going over plays, and the posting insinuated they were free to go.... that's why I thought things had been eased up. I'm just praying no kid ends with a positive test, these next few weeks are so so critical.

Do you guys think fans will be allowed or will they only allow parents/guardians and staff... What about cheerleaders and their parents? Band? Whats fair for one should be fair for all involved in the event....
If there was ever a time that society needed sports, it is now. With all of the B.S.going on all over the country, it would be refreshing to have something positive to get our minds off of all of the craziness. If anything, sports has always brought everyone together regardless of race, ethnicity, sexuality, or anything else that makes us different. I agree with Old Tiger, I'm excited to see kids out conditioning in preparation for the upcoming season.
Oldtiger Wrote:I was also under the impression that all they could do was condition in small groups, but what I've seen is large groups of kids practicing, going over plays, and the posting insinuated they were free to go.... that's why I thought things had been eased up. I'm just praying no kid ends with a positive test, these next few weeks are so so critical.

Do you guys think fans will be allowed or will they only allow parents/guardians and staff... What about cheerleaders and their parents? Band? Whats fair for one should be fair for all involved in the event....

OT, are you serious about large groups? Rules clearly states no more than 10 and have to stay 6ft apart, and can't have a football. In Lexington they can't start until June 29th, with no carpooling, not sure how they can inforce that, that is a parent issue to me, schools I've been around 75 to 80% Carpool. I love to see kids working out. Side note OT, I have talked to 2 head coaches, both told me we are so far away from actually putting on pads and playing football kids are going to get bored. Just relaying what I was told.
It was on one of my local coaches Facebook pages, (gone now) but in all honestly they may have been in groups of 10 or less, just looked like more at the time and I don't know if they had footballs or not. I didn't even think of that, I just glanced at the postings and thought OK this is positive movement....

I agree society desperately needs sports, especially us men with simple little brains, it's something to think about when we aren't thinking about food, fishing, cars, or hanky panky :Thumbs: We need something to fill those gaps :insane: Desperately.....

I have been lost with no sports, I'm sorry ESPN but Cornhole just ain't doing it for me, & I don't even care that those tossers got snazzy shirts and cool mask.. :Cheerlead
Oldtiger Wrote:It was on one of my local coaches Facebook pages, (gone now) but in all honestly they may have been in groups of 10 or less, just looked like more at the time and I don't know if they had footballs or not. I didn't even think of that, I just glanced at the postings and thought OK this is positive movement....

I agree society desperately needs sports, especially us men with simple little brains, it's something to think about when we aren't thinking about food, fishing, cars, or hanky panky :Thumbs: We need something to fill those gaps :insane: Desperately.....

I have been lost with no sports, I'm sorry ESPN but Cornhole just ain't doing it for me, & I don't even care that those tossers got snazzy shirts and cool mask.. :Cheerlead

LOL- I'm with you man
Oldtiger Wrote:Do you guys think fans will be allowed or will they only allow parents/guardians and staff... What about cheerleaders and their parents? Band? Whats fair for one should be fair for all involved in the event....

I help coach for a single A school in Eastern Kentucky. I hope fans will be allowed. I am not sure how we can make it work financially without fans. We depend on gate and concessions to pay refs and cover other expenses related to the program. Unless the school is willing to cover these expenses. Something they haven't done in the past.
Following the CDC guidelines. Here is Pres. Trump's man... Don't make this political.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2932...-play-2020
I will miss high school football season, if it is canceled. I will boycott any sport where league management allows (and pays) players to disrespect the flag and the nation that has allowed so many of them to enjoy a lifestyle that most Americans can only dream of having. Patriotism, like sports, should not be a political issue.
You can bet your last penny when we do start sports, some kid will drop to a knee, as far as I'm concerned I'd rather them drop to a knee out of respect for something; than act like most of the spectators especially the young ones who haven't shown an ounce of reverence for the Anthem in their life.

You can be assured youth today are capable of doing anything at any time in order to get a picture in an effort to become Facebook famous. HA:biglmao:
National anthem is 2 minutes out of an athlete's week. Out of 10,080 minutes in a week. They say it's not about the flag but that's exactly what it is. Use your remaining 10,078 minutes a week to protest whatever the eff hurts your feelings that particular week but if you disrespect the flag screw you and the horse you rode in on, idiot. And yes that means you too Drew Brees.
jetpilot Wrote:National anthem is 2 minutes out of an athlete's week. Out of 10,080 minutes in a week. They say it's not about the flag but that's exactly what it is. Use your remaining 10,078 minutes a week to protest whatever the eff hurts your feelings that particular week but if you disrespect the flag screw you and the horse you rode in on, idiot. And yes that means you too Drew Brees.

“Shut up and play ball” right? Gonna guess you aren’t a fan of riots, can tell you’re not a fan of kneeling. So if you don’t like protesting or peaceful protesting, then how would you go about bringing attention to social injustices?
jetpilot Wrote:National anthem is 2 minutes out of an athlete's week. Out of 10,080 minutes in a week. They say it's not about the flag but that's exactly what it is. Use your remaining 10,078 minutes a week to protest whatever the eff hurts your feelings that particular week but if you disrespect the flag screw you and the horse you rode in on, idiot. And yes that means you too Drew Brees.

I stand with you jetpilot.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:“Shut up and play ball” right? Gonna guess you aren’t a fan of riots, can tell you’re not a fan of kneeling. So if you don’t like protesting or peaceful protesting, then how would you go about bringing attention to social injustices?
Every American has the right to exercise free speech without prior restraint by the government. Nobody has the right to speak freely and offend customers with their behavior while drawing a paycheck and doing the job that they were hired to do.

As jetpilot said, there 10,080 minutes in a week. If you subtract 2,400 minutes for work and 3.360 minutes for sleep, that leaves 5,040 minutes a week that are available to exercise one's First Amendment rights.

So yes, "Shut up and play ball," is an appropriate response to these spoiled, ungrateful, and unpatriotic adult men being paid a fortune to play a game, at least during the brief time each week that they are supposed to be earning their keep.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Every American has the right to exercise free speech without prior restraint by the government. Nobody has the right to speak freely and offend customers with their behavior while drawing a paycheck and doing the job that they were hired to do.

As jetpilot said, there 10,080 minutes in a week. If you subtract 2,400 minutes for work and 3.360 minutes for sleep, that leaves 5,040 minutes a week that are available to exercise one's First Amendment rights.

So yes, "Shut up and play ball," is an appropriate response to these spoiled, ungrateful, and unpatriotic adult men being paid a fortune to play a game, at least during the brief time each week that they are supposed to be earning their keep.

Them kneeling before a game has zero bearing and outcome on their performance for their game play that they are paid for. I’ll go ahead and say the majority of your NFL and college teams will be kneeling, and in turn you’ll have high school teams kneeling as well. It will all go on whether or not you watch or not. These professional athletes have a voice and they’re using it for good. If you still think it’s about a flag you’ve missed the entire point. If you aren’t being oppressed and aren’t from oppressed areas where your own kind and family and friends are held down then you can’t tell them when and how to speak their voice.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Them kneeling before a game has zero bearing and outcome on their performance for their game play that they are paid for. I’ll go ahead and say the majority of your NFL and college teams will be kneeling, and in turn you’ll have high school teams kneeling as well. It will all go on whether or not you watch or not. These professional athletes have a voice and they’re using it for good. If you still think it’s about a flag you’ve missed the entire point. If you aren’t being oppressed and aren’t from oppressed areas where your own kind and family and friends are held down then you can’t tell them when and how to speak their voice.
No, it's not my job to tell them when and how to speak, but I can and will vote with my feet and my remote.

You are absolutely right about one thing - it's not just about a flag. The flag and the national anthem are symbols of a great nation. Professional athletes are among the least oppressed human beings on this planet, regardless of their race or religious beliefs.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No, it's not my job to tell them when and how to speak, but I can and will vote with my feet and my remote.

You are absolutely right about one thing - it's not just about a flag. The flag and the national anthem are symbols of a great nation. Professional athletes are among the least oppressed human beings on this planet, regardless of their race or religious beliefs.

Professional athletes may be among the least oppressed but often times their family and friends are not. There’s an article about Raymond Felton being pulled over and profiled and it shows that it can happen to anyone.

But back the high school realm, I do think you’re going to see it trickle down to the high school level this time. With Kap it was a couple hear and there. I’d be surprised if there’s any NFL teams where the majority of the teams aren’t kneeling.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Professional athletes may be among the least oppressed but often times their family and friends are not. There’s an article about Raymond Felton being pulled over and profiled and it shows that it can happen to anyone.

But back the high school realm, I do think you’re going to see it trickle down to the high school level this time. With Kap it was a couple hear and there. I’d be surprised if there’s any NFL teams where the majority of the teams aren’t kneeling.
There is no doubt that the bad example set by many NFL players and poor management decisions on the behalf of team owners will result in misbehavior at the high school level. If the players at my high school or college alma mater kneels with the support of their school, then I will not be supporting them either. Team sports exist, in part, to build character, not to destroy it.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:There is no doubt that the bad example set by many NFL players and poor management decisions on the behalf of team owners will result in misbehavior at the high school level. If the players at my high school or college alma mater kneels with the support of their school, then I will not be supporting them either. Team sports exist, in part, to build character, not to destroy it.

I don’t understand how kneeling for social injustice destroys character.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:I don’t understand how kneeling for social injustice destroys character.
I guess it depends on whether one considers patriotism and respect for your own country's traditions and values an essential part of one's character.

You don't have to agree with me, but many millions of Americans do agree with my position. It is not good business for owners to allow players to disrespect the values and traditions held dear by so many potential paying customers - and owners have the right to set workplace rules to the extent that those rules are legal, safe, and ethical.

I believe that in the long run, owners are making a serious mistake by allowing players to disrespect their country and insult such a large number of fans through their pregame antics.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I guess it depends on whether one considers patriotism and respect for your own country's traditions and values an essential part of one's character.

You don't have to agree with me, but many millions of Americans do agree with my position. It is not good business for owners to allow players to disrespect the values and traditions held dear by so many potential paying customers - and owners have the right to set workplace rules to the extent that those rules are legal, safe, and ethical.

I believe that in the long run, owners are making a serious mistake by allowing players to disrespect their country and insult such a large number of fans through their pregame antics.

I agree with you. I'll stop watching sports before I'll watch a bunch of whiners. it wont be long before you see football players telling on other players for hitting them too hard .
Oldtiger Wrote:Seeing all these pictures and video on social media with teams out practicing makes me happy, so glad the mask and social distancing regulations for our kids isn's an issue, these kids are resilient and it was crazy to think you can coach kids keeping them 6 feet apart and wearing a mask anyway. I'm starting to think the season may go and return to normal.

In all honesty, did all these graduations need to be cancelled and schools shut down, was it really necessary that we were all put through all that we have, that so much was taken from the class of 2020. I'd love to know what is different now, what's changed for the powers that be to decide to turn things loose now?

That flag doesn't mean the same to everybody. Please let us keep this forum about what started this above, High School Football. This could turn ugly quick, if we let it. Ohio can start full contact June 22nd? Is that true? I can't believe it. Can't lie, I'm excited though
FootballFan1999 Wrote:I don’t understand how kneeling for social injustice destroys character.

They can kneel all they want. Whenever they choose....Heck ....they can go on hunger strikes, PEACEFULLY protest, etc etc. BUT....have enough reverence NOT to disrespect the flag. Regardless of color, race, economic status.....brave men and women have served and fallen to ensure your rights as a citizen of this country. Your right to protest, march, conduct sit-Ins, lobby......it’s all provided by those folks who protect that Ol’Flag Do you not see the hypocrisy in that?? If anything we should embrace the flag and be thankful that we as citizens have the rights it has afforded.

So please don’t tell me it’s not about the flag. I’m keenly aware of the issues in today’s climate.....and I understand the fight. I don’t understand the criminal element that has attached itself and why it’s being allowed to continue. That is a travesty.

But as Johnny Cash said...”we’re mighty proud of that ragged old flag”. This country has a lot of problems.....but it’s still the best country on earth. As long as you live under that flag and the rights it affords you....you better damn well respect it

So YES....it is about the FLAG
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:They can kneel all they want. Whenever they choose....Heck ....they can go on hunger strikes, PEACEFULLY protest, etc etc. BUT....have enough reverence NOT to disrespect the flag. Regardless of color, race, economic status.....brave men and women have served and fallen to ensure your rights as a citizen of this country. Your right to protest, march, conduct sit-Ins, lobby......it’s all provided by those folks who protect that Ol’Flag Do you not see the hypocrisy in that?? If anything we should embrace the flag and be thankful that we as citizens have the rights it has afforded.

So please don’t tell me it’s not about the flag. I’m keenly aware of the issues in today’s climate.....and I understand the fight. I don’t understand the criminal element that has attached itself and why it’s being allowed to continue. That is a travesty.

But as Johnny Cash said...”we’re mighty proud of that ragged old flag”. This country has a lot of problems.....but it’s still the best country on earth. As long as you live under that flag and the rights it affords you....you better damn well respect it

So YES....it is about the FLAG

You know who’s idea it was to kneel? A soldiers. Kaepernick and Boyer spoke and came to an agreement the best way to respect the flag but bring awareness to the racial matters still dividing the country is by kneeling.

"We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammates," Boyer says. "Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave, you know, to show respect. When we're on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security. Very receptive. He said, 'I think that would be-- I think-- I think that would be really powerful, Boyer recalls.”

Being upset about “disrespecting” the flag and not upset about the injustice minorities face in today’s world is the problem. It’s not about the flag, it’s about equality and everyone being treated the same in today’s society.
Pages: 1 2 3