Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Will Powell Win District Again?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can Powell County win the district again this year?
Powell can win the district again: Lee will not be
able to replace what they lost, and Owsley must
once again adjust to a new coach. Estill will be
a pretty good basketball team, as Cackling emerged
last year in the district as a nice player, along
with Christopher and Napier. If Drew Freeman returns
to basketball (6-4 and huge), I would put money on
Estill to win. If not, Powell and Estill will have
three wars, one in the district finals.
It should be Estill's year, as they have plenty of talent
I doubt it but maybe since the 56 is by far and away the weakest in the 14th region. The two teams thata come out of there will be first round exits in the region.
Quarterback7 Wrote:I doubt it but maybe since the 56 is by far and away the weakest in the 14th region. The two teams thata come out of there will be first round exits in the region.
Very young comment!
My question is, with all the seniors that Powell had last season. How many of their players this year has major varsity experience?
Im not sure how Powell's team is but I do know that Estill has many talented juniors [[more than just cackling]] and with Christopher & Napier as seniors this year, it should be a great district tourny!! I see Estill taking it home this year tho! Big Grin good luck boys!
i know that jeremy banks and daniel kinser got a lot of playin time last year. daniel got mvp of the district tournament didnt he? but idk if they can repeat.
Well your right on 2 notes....Estill does have a really good team, and only lost Drew Berryman which was about 80% of their shooting, and on the 2nd notes Owsley did get a new coach this season...thing is they have 8 seniors that have played together since 5th grade and they will be a force to be reckoned with....with josh reed at 6-4 and adam mcintosh at 6-3 they will be a force in the inside, u also have matt wright and devin evans that are good slashers and can shoot the ball also, and with new point guard nick noble owsley will be a contender in the 56th districts this season
OCHS_Fan Wrote:Well your right on 2 notes....Estill does have a really good team, and only lost Drew Berryman which was about 80% of their shooting, and on the 2nd notes Owsley did get a new coach this season...thing is they have 8 seniors that have played together since 5th grade and they will be a force to be reckoned with....with josh reed at 6-4 and adam mcintosh at 6-3 they will be a force in the inside, u also have matt wright and devin evans that are good slashers and can shoot the ball also, and with new point guard nick noble owsley will be a contender in the 56th districts this season
It was Cody Berryman that was lost and he will be missed, but Estill has their leading scorer back this season, and 7 of their top 8 players returning.
OCHS_Fan Wrote:Well your right on 2 notes....Estill does have a really good team, and only lost Drew Berryman which was about 80% of their shooting, and on the 2nd notes Owsley did get a new coach this season...thing is they have 8 seniors that have played together since 5th grade and they will be a force to be reckoned with....with josh reed at 6-4 and adam mcintosh at 6-3 they will be a force in the inside, u also have matt wright and devin evans that are good slashers and can shoot the ball also, and with new point guard nick noble owsley will be a contender in the 56th districts this season

If Noble is ruled eligible then my pick is Owsley. If not then I pick Estill to win the district.
I don't think Powell Co. can repeat due to the fact they played and graduated too many seniors last year. They did not do a very good job developing enough of the younger players to compete at the varsity level. If Owsley has 8 seniors, they may be in the same shape next year as Powell is this year. JMO
Why might Noble be ruled ineligible? I haven't heard
anything about this...
No powell will not repeat again this yr.
Powell lost to many seniors last year. I think it is Estill's year this year with Christopher, Napier and Cackling and the Hoover boy shows promising talent.
I think that Powell will have a shot when it comes tourny time. Going into the season you would have to say that Estill has the edge dont mean the best team always wins. It will be interesting to see.
Im not sure they will do it again.. but good luck to them..
Powell might have lost seniors last year but they have talent this year they could have used last year for a even better team Cory Brewer for instance
i would have to say im 50/50 between them and estill
With the addition of Cory Brewer to the Powell Co. lineup and if Christian Brewer plays the way he played at Blue Chip camp in Georgetown this year and Daniel Kinser alone with Jermey Banks picking up were they left off from last year.I see Powell Co. taking it this year.
bluegrassballa Wrote:Can Powell County win the district again this year?
no way
Quarterback7 Wrote:I doubt it but maybe since the 56 is by far and away the weakest in the 14th region. The two teams thata come out of there will be first round exits in the region.
You had better do a little research about that.:boosign: The 56th has had a lot of finals and semifinals in the 14th over the years, and won it all in '68, '74, and '03. Of course you may mean just for this year, but traditionally the 53rd is the weakest in the region. Anyway, the 56t will not by a long shot be the weakest district in the region this year.
Nope won't happen this year.
I think its a toss up between Estill and Powell, whoever is playing better basketball come february and march.
Dirty Wrote:I think its a toss up between Estill and Powell, whoever is playing better basketball come february and march.
I think everyone better not count out Lee Co. They have plenty of size and are always competitive. The trophy will go to the team that plays best in the second season. 4 teams have a shot.
Express Wrote:I think everyone better not count out Lee Co. They have plenty of size and are always competitive. The trophy will go to the team that plays best in the second season. 4 teams have a shot.
Lee County has been competitive for about 3 seasons out of the last 20. From '90 to '03 they were unheard of. So they're competitive in the past few years, but that's about it.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Lee County has been competitive for about 3 seasons out of the last 20. From '90 to '03 they were unheard of. So they're competitive in the past few years, but that's about it.
Since Danny Wright came - they have been competitive. I'm an Estill supporter so my history in the 14th goes back 2 or 3 years and they have been more than competitive in the last 2 or 3 years. If a team is a tough out then they are competitive.
I'm pullin for Powell Co......But they did lose a bunch of talent last year. They still got some good pieces of the puzzle left though. Get em Pirates. It WILL be between Powell & Estill.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:My question is, with all the seniors that Powell had last season. How many of their players this year has major varsity experience?
Not all the seniors on that team played. Two of the Juniors on that team started a majority of the time. Banks and Kinser have had experience since sophomore year. Cory Brewer who is another senior is playing his second year of High School basketball. He played his freshman year, but tore his knee up a little after that and had to sit out his sophomore year. He will help out the team tremendously.
blitz43 Wrote:I'm pullin for Powell Co......But they did lose a bunch of talent last year. They still got some good pieces of the puzzle left though. Get em Pirates. It WILL be between Powell & Estill.
I wouldn't be so quick about that.
There's no doubt Estill will be a front runner, but the other 3 positions are basicly up for grabs. Powell lost a LOT of players last year. However, they do host the district this year, so that could possibly give them an advantage at that time of the season.
Lee and Owsley will be as good as Powell during the regular season. Whether they beat them in March, in Stanton, is to be seen.
1. Powell/ Estill
2. Lee
3. Owsley

Powell and Estill will meet in the district championship. Both teams have great talent and will continue to have a fierce rivalry entering this season. Can't wait to watch the two battle it out on the hardwood. Good luck to all teams this year!!
Pages: 1 2