Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Classic Game Links
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Since we're all cooped up, I thought it might be fun to start a thread with some links to classic Kentucky high school games that are a fun way to pass some time. The older the better. If you can, add something about the game (without giving away too many spoilers). I'll start with a few below.
1996: University Heights vs. Christian County - 8th District Semifinals

I'll break my own rule on spoilers for this one just because it's so much of what makes this one special. University Heights was led by Lamont Barnes (Temple), Isaiah Victor (Tennessee), Harold Swanagan (Notre Dame), Andre Buckner (Duke), but Christian County and future Harlem Globetrotter CJ Pepper pulled off one of the biggest upsets of the 90's.
1988: Ballard vs. Clay County - State Championship

In a rematch of the previous year's finals in Rupp, Ballard looks to even in the score in Freedom Hall. The Bruins were led by future NBA All Star Allan Houston, who was flanked by Mark Bell (Western Kentucky), Eric Gathright, Kenneth Martin, and Eric McDuffie. Clay County was led by soon-to-be named Mr. Basketball Richie Farmer (Kentucky), who dropped 51 in this contest, and the Tigers' supporting cast of Russ Chadwell (Georgetown College), Russ Farmer, Kevin Jackson, and Eugene Rawlings.
1998: Scott County vs. Lexington Catholic - State Semi-Final

Another of the most memorable games in Sweet 16 history. I still remember where I was sitting, who I was sitting with, and the look on everyone's face as this one ended.

Lexington Catholic was led by David Graves (Notre Dame), Shawn Fields (Georgia), 7'1 Nathan Popp (UNC Greensboro), Scott Mendenhall, and Steve Searcy. Nationally ranked, the Knights had defeated nationally rated counterparts Oak Hill Academy (#5) and Chicago Whitney Young (#2) during regular season play.

Scott County was led by Rick Jones (Vanderbilt), AW Hamilton (Wake Forest & Marshall), Toby Harris, Mario McIntrye, Michael Scaravelli, and Casey Alsop (Georgetown College).

I've referred to this game as the beginning of the Scott County vs. Lexington Catholic rivalry. It's hard to imagine that, going into the morning, anyone could have envisioned the effect that game would have on the course of Lexington-area basketball history given that it happened nearly a decade before the highly transformative re-districting before the 2006-2007 season that sent Scott County to the 11th.
2014: Ballard vs. PRP - Louisville Invitational Tournament Finals

Ballard's Kelan Martin (Butler, Minnesota Timberwolves), Quentin Snider (Louisville), Jalen Perry (UAB), and Malik Dowe (Georgetown College) go to battle with Pleasure Ridge Park's D'Angelo Harris (West Virginia & Nicholls State), Lamontray Harris (Morehead State), and Antonio McDaniels. Dale A. Mabrey and Chris Renner are two of the most renowned Louisville high school coaches, meaning their careers will always be compared, so adding another LIT title to their trophy case makes this mean a little more than an ordinary holiday season tournament game might mean for each of their storied programs.
I have always wanted to see the '96 state tournament game between Paintsville and Lex. Catholic. Where JR dominated the game.

I've ran across a few games on YouTube. Paintsville vs Lex. Catholic from regular season of '96. Elkhorn and Belfery from I believe '93. Heaf drops 35. I'll find the links and add on this if no one else does.
Captain_44 Wrote:I have always wanted to see the '96 state tournament game between Paintsville and Lex. Catholic. Where JR dominated the game.

I've ran across a few games on YouTube. Paintsville vs Lex. Catholic from regular season of '96. Elkhorn and Belfery from I believe '93. Heaf drops 35. I'll find the links and add on this if no one else does.

Never seen them but would love to. I think I remember Paintsville playing someone that WYMT did a live or delayed broadcast on in the late 90's (which was a huge deal for that time) but can't remember who it was, just that it was at Paintsville. I want to say that this one was '97-'98 but I was a solid 11 to 13 years old at the time, so memory may be failing me.
1976 - Edmonson County vs. Christian County - State Finals

The game that many say saved Kentucky High School Basketball from classification. Enough said.

Christian County: #33 – Mike Reese, #41 – Curtis Parker, #11 – John Banks, #45 – Kenny Bussell, #21 – Greg Walton, #51 – David McCombs, #55 – Kenny Hart;

Edmonson County: #51 – Aaron Goad, #50 - Jeff Doyle, #32 - Hennion, #35 – Phil Rich, #11 – Chester Bethel, #52 - Ricky Davis, #40 – Kevin Clemmons,
1996 – Paintsville vs. Ashland - State Finals

Two mountain teams squaring off for the ‘ship. Probably the last time we’ll see Region 15 and Region 16 matching up for the finals in quite awhile if I were a betting man. Media isn’t the best quality on this one so enjoy what you can and ignore the call lagging behind the video—that’s old school.

Ashland: #2 - Curtis Lynch, #32 - Tony Barrow, #55 - Kyle Umberger, #10 - Brian Strader, #12 - Tate Tolbert,

Paintsville: #40 – JR Van Hoose (Marshall), #12 – Todd Tackett (Kentucky), #34 - Craig Ratliff, #20 - Josh McKenzie, #10 - Matt Ratliff,
2018 - Pikeville vs. John Hardin - Sweet 16 Opening Round

Three overtimes. This one is fresh enough in everyone's mind that there's no need to recap players, names, etc. Another game that was mentioned in a different thread as being one of the most memorable in tournament history.
2013 - Madison Central vs. Henry Clay - 11th Region Semifinals

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...bk12/38367

The 2012 NBA Finals saw a young, upcoming core of Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, and Serge Ibaka compete with but ultimately fall short of the Heat's LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh juggernaut. Pundits were left saying "they're young, they'll be back". This is the KHSAA's equivalent of the "they're young, they'll be back" game that shows nothing is certain.

Madison Central is led by future Kentucky Wildcat Dominique Hawkins. Henry Clay is a young talented, team consisting of juniors Jordan Green, Christen Cunningham, Teddy Ware, Trey Grundy, and sophomore Jeremiah Tisdale. The Blue Devils hung in with eventual State Champion Madison Central, losing by only four, and everyone assumed that they'd be one of the heavy favorites coming into the next season. However, nothing is set in stone, and this would be the last game that the core would play together-- Cunningham would transfer to Cordia, Ware transferred to Scott County, and Green would be asked to put on his Superman cape as injuries decimated an already depleted roster. Ironically enough, Henry Clay would be eliminated in the finals of the 2014 11th Region Tournament after ending the regular season at 15-12 before getting hot late and making a postseason run after being written off all season due to their roster shake-up.
Captain_44 Wrote:I have always wanted to see the '96 state tournament game between Paintsville and Lex. Catholic. Where JR dominated the game.

Here's the Paintsville vs Lex Catholic game from 1996

JokersWild24 Wrote:2013 - Madison Central vs. Henry Clay - 11th Region Semifinals

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k...bk12/38367

The 2012 NBA Finals saw a young, upcoming core of Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, and Serge Ibaka compete with but ultimately fall short of the Heat's LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh juggernaut. Pundits were left saying "they're young, they'll be back". This is the KHSAA's equivalent of the "they're young, they'll be back" game that shows nothing is certain.

Madison Central is led by future Kentucky Wildcat Dominique Hawkins. Henry Clay is a young talented, team consisting of juniors Jordan Green, Christen Cunningham, Teddy Ware, Trey Grundy, and sophomore Jeremiah Tisdale. The Blue Devils hung in with eventual State Champion Madison Central, losing by only four, and everyone assumed that they'd be one of the heavy favorites coming into the next season. However, nothing is set in stone, and this would be the last game that the core would play together-- Cunningham would transfer to Cordia, Ware transferred to Scott County, and Green would be asked to put on his Superman cape as injuries decimated an already depleted roster. Ironically enough, Henry Clay would be eliminated in the finals of the 2014 11th Region Tournament after ending the regular season at 15-12 before getting hot late and making a postseason run after being written off all season due to their roster shake-up.

CORRECTED LINK:
2013 - Madison Central vs. Henry Clay - 11th Region Semifinals

Madison Central is led by future Kentucky Wildcat Dominique Hawkins. Henry Clay is a young talented, team consisting of juniors Jordan Green, Christen Cunningham, Teddy Ware, Trey Grundy, and sophomore Jeremiah Tisdale. The Blue Devils hung in with eventual State Champion Madison Central, losing by only four, and everyone assumed that they'd be one of the heavy favorites coming into the next season. However, nothing is set in stone, and this would be the last game that the core would play together-- Cunningham would transfer to Cordia, Ware transferred to Scott County, and Green would be asked to put on his Superman cape as injuries decimated an already depleted roster. Ironically enough, Henry Clay would be eliminated in the finals of the 2014 11th Region Tournament after ending the regular season at 15-12 before getting hot late and making a postseason run after being written off all season due to their roster shake-up.[/QUOTE]
1981 - Simon Kenton vs. Mason County - Lloyd Invitational Tournament

The 1981 Simon Kenton Pioneers went on to be crowned State Champions by defeating the Mason County Royals. Unfortunately, no footage of their State Championship win exists. This is the next closest thing. At least one of the Royals would go on to earn a State Title from the sidelines decades later.
2006 - South Laurel vs. Barbourville - 13th Region Finals

Barbourville comes in fresh off an upset of Clay County on the Tigers' home court in a game where they trailed heavily at halftime. Defending State Champion South Laurel is led by Mr. Basketball Walt Allen (Presbyterian) and Ty Proffit (Notre Dame/Morehead State) look to get back to Rupp to defend their crown in a nip and tuck game where some were less than thrilled with the officiating.
2010 - Shelby Valley vs. Ballard - State Championship

Future Mr. Basketball Elisha Justice and the Shelby Valley Wildcats look to cap off a dream season by defeating Chris Renner's insanely talented Ballard squad. The Bruins are led by DeVante Parker (Miami Dolphins), Lavonne Holland (NKU), Ian Chiles (IUPUI), and Keisten Jones (Bellarmine).
1993 - Harlan vs. Casey County - Sweet 16 Opening Round

Harlan's Charles Thomas (Minnesota) is another 13th Region star who went on to be named Mr. Basketball. He, Michael Jones, Todd Cox (Georgetown), Casey Lester and company do battle with Casey County in the opening round of the tournament.
1992 - Johns Creek vs. Pikeville - 15th Region All A Classic Semis

Before the consolidation of a number of schools into Pike Central, the landscape of the 15th was wildly different. This game will take you back to that time as Johns Creek and Pikeville do battle.
2016 - Hazard vs. Perry Central - 54th District Semifinal

As seems to be the case in the 54th, one of the regions top teams won't be making it out of district as Hazard and Perry Central face off from Leslie County. I can't find anything other than highlights of the 2004 classic, so we'll have to settle for this overtime thriller.
1996 - Paducah Tilghman vs. University Heights

State's current #1 and #2 ranked teams at the time face off at Tilghman. I'll need some help with where some of the Blue Tornadoes ended up at the next level, but they were led by Chris Sivels, Brandon Warfield, John Moore, John Smith, and Jamel Avarey. University Heights was led by Lamont Barnes (Temple), Isaiah Victor (Tennessee), Harold Swanagan (Notre Dame), and Andre Buckner (Duke).
Is there any links to 1990 15th Regional 1st round between McDowell vs Pikeville, that was a great game
1999 - Pikeville vs. Allen Central - 15th Region Semifinal

I'll let some of the posters more familiar with the 15th fill in more of the details, as any that I could provide without research could spoil this one.
1982 - McDowell vs. Johns Creek

One of the older entries. Two now defunct schools. I'll again defer to some of the 15th posters for any info on this one.
2015 - Clay County vs. Hazard - WYMT Mountain Classic 1st Round

Clay County's Blake Smith (ALC, 2000 point club), Trey Farmer (West Alabama), and company face off with the Hazard Bulldogs.
2016 - Bowling Green vs. Covington Catholic - King of the Bluegrass

Eventual State Champion Bowling Green is led by Zion Harmon (WKU commit), Kyran Jones (Georgetown College), DeAngelo Wilson (Austin Peay football), and the Purples face off with Covington Catholic from one of Kentucky's most prestigious holiday tournaments. The Colonels are led by CJ Frederick (Iowa), Cole Vonhandorf (Fairmont State), Malachi Pike (Butler football), and Jake Walter (US Federal Penitentiary Rec League).
Any videos out there of, Todd May at Virgie or Pikeville college?
1985 - Metcalfe County vs. Glasgow - 4th Region Championship

The Scotties and Hornets do battle from the Hill at WKU.
1993 - Meade County vs. Marion County

May not be the full game, but a look at Anthony Epps (Kentucky) and the Marion County Knights in their State Championship season.
2013-2014 Ballard vs. Scott County - Regular Season Opener

Have already covered where most of the players involved ended up in this and the highlights thread, so I wont' do it here, but this is a look back at the team's seemingly annual regular season opener from Ballard High.
Captain_44 Wrote:Any videos out there of, Todd May at Virgie or Pikeville college?

Haven't seen any yet. Some of the best ones I've found have been through following links and having them pop up in my Auto-Play/Recommended section. There were tons of hits on 'Todd May Virgie' from other states and I didn't sort through all of the links.
Pages: 1 2 3