Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 5 Stars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
247 Just bumped Michael Mayer up to a 5 star.
He is now listed on their site as the 31st best player in the nation, best in the state, and second at his position with a composite of 0.9835.

Wondering how many 5 stars has our state had within recent years and how many we have had rated that high?

Kid's as good as advertised.
Without doing research, 8 players immediately popped up in my mind. Landon Young, Jedrick Willis, Tim Couch, Shaun Alexander, Damien Harris, Brian Brohm, Michael Bush, and Micah Johnson.
Big D Tackle from John Hardin a few years back was a five star at 24/7 I think..
Also, Male QB a year older than Couch was a Five Star
Elam was a 5 star because he went to that 24/7 camp hosted by Bama. Rivals hit the nail on the head with his low 3 star ranking.
Corbin Wrote:Elam was a 5 star because he went to that 24/7 camp hosted by Bama. Rivals hit the nail on the head with his low 3 star ranking.

I agree completely. When I saw his high school film and he was too lazy to get in a stance I knew he wasn't gonna amount to much... He stood up on D Line..

Chris Redmon From Male is the QB I was thinking of..
Dennis Johnson from Harrodsburg is actually the highest rated recruit in the history of Ky., if Im not mistaken. That's including Tim Couch..
Joe Casey of Paducah Tighlman?
So very rare here in KY. I’m glad they did this though, he is very deserving.
Eric Shelton may have been
Got bored and did some hardcore research and found some interesting links.

Here’s a list of the players I found to be 5*
RB Al Baker - 1986 Trigg County
TE/DE Frank Jacobs - 1987 Newport Cath
QB Chris Redman - 1994 Male
RB Shaun Alexander - 1994 Boone County
QB Tim Couch - 1995 Leslie County
DL Dennis Johnson - 1997 Harrodsburg
RB Eric Shelton - 2001 Bryan Station
QB Brian Brohm - 2004 Trinity
ATH Michael Bush - 2003 Male
LB Micah Johnson - 2006 Ft Campbell
RB Damien Harris - 2015 Madison Southern
OT Jedrick Willis - 2017 Lafayette
TE Michael Mayer - 2020 Cov Cath

OT Walker Parks - 2020 Frederick Douglas is very close to being a 5* he’s 49th overall on 247 and is committed to Clemson.

Here’s a link on Al Baker. According to this he was featured in an old bigger faster stronger magazine. He had some insane numbers.
https://www.yoursportsedge.com/2018/06/2...-al-baker/

Here’s a link of the 1994 Parade All-American team. This list includes both Redman and Alexander. Doing a little research I fount out that Redman was also Parade national player of the year while Alexander won Mr Football.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/7751606/...gh_school/

Here’s a link of the 1995 Parade All-American team. The list includes Couch who was also Gatorade national player of the year and the #1 overall recruit.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/7751789/...gh_school/
There’s more than a lot of people think. I’m sure I didn’t name all of them but that’s the ones I could find.
These stars are a joke and the camps are a waste of time and money. If you don’t believe me ask a college coach.
Frank Martin Wrote:These stars are a joke and the camps are a waste of time and money. If you don’t believe me ask a college coach.

If stars are a joke why doesn't Alabama or Clemson have any 1 or 2 stars?
FootballFan1999 Wrote:If stars are a joke why doesn't Alabama or Clemson have any 1 or 2 stars?

Because players are given the stars after they have been offered in a lot of cases. It is not because they spent money and wasted time going to a rivals type camp. Also, check stats on NFL for number of stars several of them had coming out of high school. Like I said, if you don’t believe me ask a college coach.
I wouldn’t say all of the camps are a joke and a waste of time and money. A large portion of them are money rackets but all is a strong word. Some of the big ones like the Nike Opening camps definitely result in scholarship offers when kids perform well
Frank Martin Wrote:Because players are given the stars after they have been offered in a lot of cases. It is not because they spent money and wasted time going to a rivals type camp. Also, check stats on NFL for number of stars several of them had coming out of high school. Like I said, if you don’t believe me ask a college coach.

I don't have to ask a college coach if stars are jokes when your top tier colleges are going after 5 stars. I get what you're trying to say, but there's a reason why it exists. You'll have kids who don't get the stars they 'deserve'. But there's reasons why top tier programs go for only 4 and 5 star athletes. They're great indicators.
Frank Martin Wrote:These stars are a joke and the camps are a waste of time and money. If you don’t believe me ask a college coach.

I think “Stars” are overrated. Most 5* guys don’t produce in college, neither do 4*. Some meet the expectations. Personally I think people put way too much emphasis on how many stars a player has.

As for camps, I disagree. Kash Daniel is a prime example. His recruitment completely took off after the camp in Charlotte. Florida, South Carolina etc etc all took interest after seeing him perform down there. None of those schools had even heard of him before. Not only that, it was an “invite only” camp that he was lucky to even get into. Those camps are usually only for players that have at least 2-3 D1 offers already. Kash only had 1 at the time.
Was Tony Driver (Male/Notre Dame Alum) not 5 star?
fansville Wrote:I wouldn’t say all of the camps are a joke and a waste of time and money. A large portion of them are money rackets but all is a strong word. Some of the big ones like the Nike Opening camps definitely result in scholarship offers when kids perform well

I didn’t say “all” I said “Rivals type”. Basically, the ones that give out stars.
FootballFan1999 Wrote:I don't have to ask a college coach if stars are jokes when your top tier colleges are going after 5 stars. I get what you're trying to say, but there's a reason why it exists. You'll have kids who don't get the stars they 'deserve'. But there's reasons why top tier programs go for only 4 and 5 star athletes. They're great indicators.

We’ll just have to disagree. In my opinion Nick Saban is not tracking Rivals stars to indicate what players to go after.